Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Bowie, you seriously believe that? The information stated that the white space could be used providing it did not interfere with existing communications. I'm thinking that the current broadcasters think they can make another buck themselves, if they can block this more open usage of the frequencies.
In the absence of authoritative statements from engineers, I don't know what I believe. I just think consumers need to be aware of what they could miss out on, either in this proposed rural broadband service or in reduced Digital TV reception, if reception is truly affected by the white space service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
In the absence of authoritative statements from engineers, I don't know what I believe.
Very true IMO. From the start info about the who, what & why of the analog to digital switch over has been largely hidden from public view.

I don't think this is an accident either since the outcome smacks of a "by design takeover" of the air waves by the entertainment & electronics industry to sell content that was once free along with the equipment to consume the newly guarded content.

This same game has been tried ,and is still being pushed forward, in the Ham & Shortwave community where the users are much more attentive and well versed in this field. The effort has largely been a failure due to that communities education level about their radios as well as the content they seek. The consuming public share no such educated base so the beat goes on to steal their right to free content ,or content at all, that has always been guaranteed by public right to the airwaves. That said, I have wonder what would happen if the public raised any sort of stink about what has happened to TV in reality.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 01-27-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet