Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Alright, gang, this is just in.

Another downgrade on Exxon. This time it's RBC. It appears natural gas is being touted as a disaster.

Should I man up and short 800 more I have enough buying power now.

If it drops a couple dollars, I'll make some sweet profit. And then I'll probably not mind being an XOM bagholder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
So you are asking if you should short the world's most profitable company?
A company with a P/E of 11.81?
A 1 yr target price of 74.57?
A company that gets 5 stars from S&P's opinion?
A company that is a "buy" on the Argus 12 month rating?
A company that is very near its 5 year low in price?
A company that analysts expect to earn $1.42/share in the coming quarter (an increase of 43.95% of the prior year third quarter results)

Seriously?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM

I agree to everything you said, cyclone.

It's a profitable equity. But not at present. Perhaps in January. Or later.

I wonder if you guys noticed how every blue chip stock has been swinging either way since the European crisis.

There are rumors of another downgrade, a third. Not sure what is happening with the most profitable company

Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
What did they downgrade XOM too, from stunningly profitable to incredibly profitable? XOM bought XTO as a play on natural gas, and they did it the way anyone should, when the sector was low. If you really think that natural gas is going to remain depressed for the forseeable future, why not short a pure gas play like CHK instead of the largest oil company in the world? Seriously, if RBC upgraded cat turds from "bury" to "eat", would you do that?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
What did they downgrade XOM too, from stunningly profitable to incredibly profitable? XOM bought XTO as a play on natural gas, and they did it the way anyone should, when the sector was low. If you really think that natural gas is going to remain depressed for the forseeable future, why not short a pure gas play like CHK instead of the largest oil company in the world? Seriously, if RBC upgraded cat turds from "bury" to "eat", would you do that?
No, tk, I refuse to be a turdholder, I'll put it down, manure the soil and grow squash

Seriously, I get that XOM's your emotional investment baby. You've chosen to be a bagholder in the interim. Unlike you, I'm NOT a growth investor.

I refrained from shorting the remaining 800 today. I'll wait for the third downgrade, or some bad report day (today wasn't too severe) and short the rest. XOM will dip down to 55 again and I'll cover it. I bet the bears will do me immense service as always.

Then I won't mind holding 1000 for the long term. It would be a sweet investment.

Even if it goes 3 or 4 dollars extra from my short price, I have enough buying power to cover with a loss. It's Exxon after all. Loss is worth taking.

You may find downgrades skeptical. But all investors are not alike. The moment there is a downgrade or even rumours, there is immense trading volume, sizeable put:call ratio and inverse, and there are clear indications that it will dip down. Of course, I'm gambling, but I'll get burnt only if it shoots up 10 bucks in 3 days. I'm prepared for even a 5 buck jump.

But I'm betting on both my buns the max it can increase in the short term is 2 bucks, if it even tries to go north. It's not gonna. The bears are in total control.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
My decision to buy into XOM has nothing whatsoever to do with emotion, or with growth for that matter. It's simple common sense and plain old value. There's a awful lot of value in XOM stock at $60. Remember, price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
My decision to buy into XOM has nothing whatsoever to do with emotion, or with growth for that matter. It's simple common sense and plain old value. There's a awful lot of value in XOM stock at $60. Remember, price is what you pay, value is what you get.
Most investors agree with you.
Everyone I know (me included) is buying as much XOM as they possibly can.

With a $0.44 dividend... and probably a 95% chance the stock will increase in price-- how can anyone go wrong?

If you buy and sell XOM on a regular basis you are missing out on that sweet dividend...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Most investors agree with you.
Everyone I know (me included) is buying as much XOM as they possibly can.

With a $0.44 dividend... and probably a 95% chance the stock will increase in price-- how can anyone go wrong?

If you buy and sell XOM on a regular basis you are missing out on that sweet dividend...
Dividends matter only if you have 10,000 or more stocks. If one has in thousands, it's only gonna get him/her a few hundred bucks every period. Day traders make ten times more than that with daily movements.

You guys sound like the BP retirement guys who were collecting dividends and enjoying lives away from the rest of the world. The invest and hope for it to grow days are gone in my opinion. No more buy and hold.

I like oil stocks, but lately I've been disillusioned with all the parameters around it. Unexpected explosions, it can be Exxon tomorrow. Hurricanes. Middle East whims. Iran-Israel stand off. And Obama's royal snub of Big Oil and a new directive towards green cars.

I'm going Lithium, Aluminum, all kinds of iums and those beaten down banks which are toooooo damn big to fail (except BAC). Someone today told me it's better to invest banks that are on the actual road to recovery rather than those like BAC.

I'll short the rest of the 800 soon and cover it even if I make 1000 bucks on it. Otherwise, I'll take a maximum loss of 2000 and cover it.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Always go by your gut instincts. I shorted 800 more this morning right away.

I love you Exxon, I really really do. So far so good I might cover today itself. I already have a 400 dollar profit.

Since I am sort of emboldened by this exercise, I might short two or three thousand when big boy appreciates to 62ish again.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Gutsy move AC, but agree you have to trust your instincts.

I'm more of a buy and hold for a couple years type and I'm getting ready to go long big oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing