Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times

Advertisements

Would I be the biggest idiot if I short XOM's in the coming days? I see an opportunity. I am looking at other blue chips that I wanna short too. Been reading the yahoo finance message boards on XOM. A tons of short sellers run riot there

With the DJIA getting beaten way too often, this might as well work.

Stock gurus, your opinions are highly appreciated

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 08-31-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,740 times
If your going to Short, pick the weakest sectors.

I use ETF's not individual stocks. Less risky.

Be patient and Stalk your Prey ......

Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
If your going to Short, pick the weakest sectors.

I use ETF's not individual stocks. Less risky.

Be patient and Stalk your Prey ......
I was looking at LIT, but I guess it may not go any lower.

Any ETFs to look for?? Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I was looking at LIT, but I guess it may not go any lower.

Any ETFs to look for?? Thanks!

Go to Proshares.com and look at the products available.

Do some research on performance etc.

Don't dilly Dally.

Markets won't wait for your schedule.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default The problem is pretty basic...

These days most shorts are part of elaborate hedged positions -- billions of dollars of oil contracts against a weather future with a short on the oil stocks as insurance.

Insider information aside there not really any way to truly "beat" those hedges are their billions. Sure you might get lucky and buy/ sell the position just ahead of the turn, but that is nothing to feel good about unless you really prefer the Vegas strip to Wall St...

If you truly believe a whole sector is over valued by the pros that track these things and make the market then I guess a sector ETF play would be the way to go, but again, what is your upside in that? Is it ever going to lead to repeatable strategy? Life is not a Hollywods script...

Put your money where it'll grow and keep adding to it seems to work for more funds / investors / super stars than anything exotic. It may lack glamour, but again if you want bling it ain't really investing. It's gambling...

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM

I read you Chet .. but I can tell you that for me, Trading in My Shorting Portfolio is up well over 200% so far this year.

I had 20% gain in just one position This last week in 3 days.

I usually but not always use ETF's and short mostly with "ultra short positions" which double the gain or loss.

When I'm not shorting I'm trading the Long Side.

To me Investing only on the Long Side is just a half a days work.

I trade every day there is Good Opportunity.... Been at it for 10 years now.

Call it "Gamblin" if you want, but it works for me.

My Real Investments are Core Positions which I hold for the Trend Runs.

Last edited by silverfox; 08-31-2010 at 10:49 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,846 times
You would be the biggest idiot if you shorted XOM when it is at a 5 year low.
That company is solid. Why would you short a company as good as XOM when it is at its 5 year lowest price?

Trust me-- there are much more buyers for XOM then sellers right now.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,846 times
If anything... I'd short AAPL, or possibly NFLX. I feel like those are overbought on public perception (and not good fundamentals)...

Although AAPL and NFLX are GREAT companies-- but I don't think their price reflects their true value (which is much lower at this point in time I believe).

AAPL: P/E = 18.90
NFLX: P/E = 53.95

Compared to XOM: P/E = 11.76

Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times
Quote:
You would be the biggest idiot if you shorted XOM when it is at a 5 year low. That company is solid. Why would you short a company as good as XOM when it is at its 5 year lowest price?
Yup, short it at $59, then buy in later when it's flying up in the $89 range, right? Kind of backwards, isn't it?

Quote:
If anything... I'd short AAPL, or possibly NFLX. I feel like those are overbought on public perception (and not good fundamentals)...

Although AAPL and NFLX are GREAT companies-- but I don't think their price reflects their true value (which is much lower at this point in time I believe).

AAPL: P/E = 18.90
NFLX: P/E = 53.95

Compared to XOM: P/E = 11.76
Yes, yes, yes!! I've never shorted a stock in my life, but Cyclone has it right in my opinion. I used reasoning like his to determine that XOM is actually a screaming buy right now. Why anyone would short it at or so close to the bottom is beyond me.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,932 times
If you do the opposite of what most people are doing in the market you'll tend to beat the average. Also, if you're having doubts about a buy or sell position with stock just go ahead and do options trading instead. You command way more leverage for a fraction of the cost. I made about 1,000% on shorting BP with put options. You'll never get that kind of return on stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing