Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM

26,475 posts, read 15,057,355 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone has any experience buying stock direct from companies using the service computershare.com?

A lot of big companies sell their stock direct through them like ExxonMobil, Coca-Cola, Union Pacific, etc...

Some of the companies charge no fees for buying and dividend reinvesting.

Are you happy with the service if you used it?

I am also curious anyone's opinions with buying shares direct using the Bank of New York BNY Mellon or Wells Fargo Shareowners or similar.

I would use it for buying small monthly amounts of stock and reinvesting the dividends if the company charges nothing for buying...this is a long-term investment strategy.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 03-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: thought of new question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
My employer used to have a program whereby they would give us a certain dollar amount and give us the number of shares that would buy to the nearest share. To maintain the account it was free, and I bought more of my company's shares, again for free, through computershare.

The user interface is cumbesome but can be done. I never had any complaints. I sold about six months ago after two years gaining dividends (and boy am I kicking myself now but hey it was free money to begin with).

Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,542 times
Yes, I use it to buy DRIP stocks.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,030 times
DRIP's

Old 11-09-2014, 07:50 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
You are correct when you say that some of the companies charge no fees for buying and dividend reinvesting. Years ago when these plans became popular, most transactions were free. Today most companies charge at least one fee, and many charge several. Look carefully at each plan you are interested in. As low as brokerage commissions are today, and the fact that one can reinvest dividends free of charge at most brokerages, it might just be easier and cheaper to do this using a discount brokerage account.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Computershare sucks service wise when you try to take assets from them but this is speaking from an institution to institution standpoint

Old 11-09-2014, 11:15 PM

919 posts, read 847,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am curious if anyone has any experience buying stock direct from companies using the service computershare.com?

A lot of big companies sell their stock direct through them like ExxonMobil, Coca-Cola, Union Pacific, etc...

Some of the companies charge no fees for buying and dividend reinvesting.

Are you happy with the service if you used it?

I am also curious anyone's opinions with buying shares direct using the Bank of New York BNY Mellon or Wells Fargo Shareowners or similar.

I would use it for buying small monthly amounts of stock and reinvesting the dividends if the company charges nothing for buying...this is a long-term investment strategy.
I used BNY Mellon and Wells Fargo Shareowners for DRIPs. I think BNY Mellon offloaded their business to Computershare.
It's a mixed bag. Computershare charges $15/trade. Service is alright. You can see the lots and transaction dates online. Same with WF. If you need more services than that, they have nada.
Yes, big companies do sell their stocks like this (called DRIP - dividend reinvestment plans.)
Computershare charges a fee (e.g. a quarter per $10) for reinvesting certain stocks, not for others.

However....
Call your broker. Almost every broker offers synthetic DRIP, which does the same thing. It is not a real DRIP which is often sponsored by the companies, but works the same way and with no fees.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
I've used Computershare since the 90's (it was called Equishare then I think). I've never had a problem with them, but you need to do your research.

Every company page lists exactly what their fees are--some are no fee, some have fees that in my opinion are too high.

I do both the occasional stock purchases and the monthly purchase plan and have never had a problem. Stock sales have been done very quickly also.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,342 times
This post was started last year, but for anyone who is reading.
We have invested through computershare in more than 11 stocks.
Some stocks need you to have atleast one stock, to start , so went and bought those from oneshare or frame a stock to get started.
Look at Computershare No fee plan.

I believe in the fact that Brokers make you broke.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:11 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,516 times
I was forced into using computershare when my previous company started transferring all employee shares in there......I hate them with a passion....lol i recently sold a bunch of shares...and for each transaction, they charged me 39 bucks or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing