Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
My pleasure, Jack. But honestly, you certainly irritate me when you pick my past price movement predictions, which were made at a different time in a different market, like months/years. Who would have expected something unthinkable like an S&P downgrade of American credit, the greatest and strongest economy on earth, can happen and knock off 20% off the equity market? Who would have expected a tsunami would hit Japan? Only God. Does that mean we stay back without investing, pumping, dumping at all? Some members were BAC bulls when it was over 10. Now all of us are sitting holding the bag...... should I pick their past bullish posts and put salt on their wounds? They're already sitting mentally disappointed with a 50% equity loss.

But when you speak the truth, I'll be with you

Now why don't you open a new thread and tell us about your "indexing" strategy. I try to find wisdom everywhere
I have to admit I tweaked you too much by pointing out those past stock picking movements that didn't work out.

The whole thing about individual stocks or sectors is that very very few people can predict correctly over the long term. In the overwhleming majority of cases, people fail to outperform their benchmarks because of high expense ratios, trading costs, market timing at the wrong times, etc.....

I realize 100% that I can't beat the market over the long term. I won't try either because I know it will be a losing battle. I don't need the satisfaction or "action" of trying to do that....I accept market returns and I know I will outperform a majority of investors over the long term. There is nothing "average" about indexing...quite the opposite. It is much "above average". That's about as simple as it gets..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I have to admit I tweaked you too much by pointing out those past stock picking movements that didn't work out.

The whole thing about individual stocks or sectors is that very very few people can predict correctly over the long term. In the overwhleming majority of cases, people fail to outperform their benchmarks because of high expense ratios, trading costs, market timing at the wrong times, etc.....

I realize 100% that I can't beat the market over the long term. I won't try either because I know it will be a losing battle. I don't need the satisfaction or "action" of trying to do that....I accept market returns and I know I will outperform a majority of investors over the long term. There is nothing "average" about indexing...quite the opposite. It is much "above average". That's about as simple as it gets..
If I were to quietly hide, I won't have bumped my AIB thread.

At that time, it looked like everybody was throwing their weight behind Ireland. Little did anyone know that Greece, Spain and Italy were closing in.

But I never made the buy. The thread was to foster discussion on AIB a la Citigroup. I know someone bought C at 70 cents or so in 2009 and sold it for 5 bucks earlier this year. Lucky guy.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Not fixed? Dividends aren't fixed, but solid performances are. No stock is really fixed. Annaly (NLY) has paid fairly consistent dividends for the last year. Their dividends were $0.68, $0.64, $0.62 and $0.65 respectively.

Annaly Capital Management, Inc.: NYSE:NLY quotes & news - Google Finance

If you had $10,000 to invest on February 23rd and bought at its closing price that day of $17.58, you'd have 568 shares. Your first dividend payment would be $352.16 on March 29, 2011 at $0.62 a share. Your second dividend payment would be $369.20 on June 29 at $0.65 a share. That would be a total of $721.36 in dividends for two quarters.

If you sold the stock at today's closing price of $17.43, that's a loss of $0.15 a share or $85.20 from 568 shares. Even with $14 in buy and sell commissions (assuming it's from a Scottrade $7 commission trade), you would have made $622.16 ($721.36 - $85.20 - $14) in 6 months.

The OP wanted something conservative without large price fluctuations. Not many investments offer you a 6% return in 6 months is all I'm saying.
Just to show again how you can LOSE principal, (like I said ad nauseum in this thread),if you invested $10,000 on 4/1/11 in this stock, as of 10/3/2011 you would now have $9809 INCLUDING dividends and not including commissions.

This is why I repeat it over and over on this forum that if one needs money in the short term, they should NEVER tie it to the stock market...I don't care if the dividend is made of gold bricks.....

Again, equities do serve a purpose and if you are looking for long term growth, you should be invested, but beware because people can be blinded by short term success and confuse strategy w/outcome!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Just checked my NLY and I am down 10%, not including commissions or the last dividend that has yet to be paid out.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Just to show again how you can LOSE principal, (like I said ad nauseum in this thread),if you invested $10,000 on 4/1/11 in this stock, as of 10/3/2011 you would now have $9809 INCLUDING dividends and not including commissions.

This is why I repeat it over and over on this forum that if one needs money in the short term, they should NEVER tie it to the stock market...I don't care if the dividend is made of gold bricks.....

Again, equities do serve a purpose and if you are looking for long term growth, you should be invested, but beware because people can be blinded by short term success and confuse strategy w/outcome!
most of the time they confuse genius with a bull market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing