Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The fear in your statements is well deserved. Change is coming
You types have been singing that tune for decades now, and the change you mention never comes, unless of course you're refering to HOPE AND CHANGE, which has proven to be the biggest empty promise in the history of our country. It's been 47 years since Bob Dylan first sang "The Times They Are A Changin", yet nothing much has really changed at all, has it? Put down your protest signs, quit smoking pot, take a shower, and get a job people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
You say you want to have a revolution, well you know....
I don't recall such....

Quote:
I think that you throw the "ponzi" prize around little too much. Ponzi schemes work by having the money from later "investors" given to early "investors" to keep the illusion going that money is being made.
I think I throw it around when it applies, also I never suggested the stock market was a "ponzi scheme" instead I said it had a ponzi like structure.

There is a lot of talk today about social security, pensions, etc being "ponzi schemes" but the equity markets have the same attributes. All of these rely entirely on future workers, investors, etc for their value. If the future work force, etc is poorer, smaller, etc there will be problems.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
The governor of Florida specifically highlighted anthropology as a study less important than the study of math, science, and engineering. I think that most educated adults would understand science to mean the basic sciences, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, as opposed to the social "sciences" which are man-made attempts at making the study of cultures and societies into a serious effort.
Educated adults understand science to mean science...the fact the governor of Florida thinks Anthropology is less important than "science" speaks volumes of his knowledge of science.

Also, Anthropology includes a lot more than just so called cultural anthropology. There is also physical anthropology, archaeology, etc. Furthermore, biology, physics, etc are also "man-made attempts" to understand the world.

The idea that, in a highly globalized world, Anthropology is not important is pretty much laughable. The importance of Anthropology extends into Marketing and international business every day.... So not only does the governor of Florida not understand science, he doesn't understand business as well. No multinational corporation would make the statements he is making....

Quote:
Let me know the next time you hire an anthropologist; I will eat my words.
I would gladly hire an anthropologist for a number of tasks, ironically I'd probably never hire an engineer. Of course, not because there is something wrong with engineering...but because I'm not involve in that sort of business. Which brings me to the critical issue here, not everything is engineering, etc related. The idea that future jobs are going to all be in engineering, hard science, etc makes no sense at all.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
i think people get suckered by managed funds with high fees.

other than that... i don't see where it is a bad thing for the middle class to own equities.

I think people lean too heavily on equities for retirement, but that's just an opinion. They aren't being "suckered."

Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
The game is rigged to favor certain types of investors over others. Fifty years ago, an individual owning and managing rental properties was a safe investment. Now, taxes, regulations, and liability issues have made this type of real estate investing very difficult and risky. On the other hand, it is easier than ever to have a computer buy and sell equities on a millisecond timescale and siphon profits without ever touching or owning anything tangible.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
You types have been singing that tune for decades now, and the change you mention never comes, unless of course you're refering to HOPE AND CHANGE, which has proven to be the biggest empty promise in the history of our country. It's been 47 years since Bob Dylan first sang "The Times They Are A Changin", yet nothing much has really changed at all, has it? Put down your protest signs, quit smoking pot, take a shower, and get a job people.
Your attitude is what will bring about an America that goes beyond pot smoking hippy drum beaters.

Gang bangers in L.A. , Chicago, New York, Detroit....

These will be your future masters.

Our system will collapse, it will cause mass death, it will be tragic.

Your statements only point to your lack of awareness, regarding the times we are in.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
The game is rigged to favor certain types of investors over others. Fifty years ago, an individual owning and managing rental properties was a safe investment. Now, taxes, regulations, and liability issues have made this type of real estate investing very difficult and risky. On the other hand, it is easier than ever to have a computer buy and sell equities on a millisecond timescale and siphon profits without ever touching or owning anything tangible.
The game is surely rigged.

Our Competition mentality perpetuates winners and losers.

Getting ahead of our neighbor, for nothing more than comfort and pride.
Will be seen as short sighted and rather stupid.

100 yrs. from now, people will say that they had so much, and fought eachother for control. This Frat boy mentality kills society.

Get ahead, Win at all costs, Your better than your neighbor. YOUR ON TOP!

What a shame, we are as people.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Over the past 15 years I have invested quite a bit of my 401k in the stock index funds. The Dow and S&P are no higher right now than they were 10 or 12 years ago. I have 9 years to go until I retire and I am beginning to think I am going to be a lot less well off than I planned.

Should investing in stocks have been left the clever financiers instead of pushing so many middle class workers into stocks with these 401k plans?

With each passing year, I am feeling like a bigger sucker all the time and don't know what to do to make up for this terrible long term stock market performance.
Well, the big problem is not the stock market today, but the stock market back in the late 90s. During the huge run-ups of that decade, the valuations became so out of whack with reality that it has taken this long for the market to catch up.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Dont know about you CHEMESTRY GUY but all im trying to do is generate and income to pay my billS through retirement..

i worked for my money all my life and now its time for my money to work for me.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Dont know about you but all im trying to do is generate and income to pay my billS through retirement.
Have you thought about making something? Producing an American made product?

The stock market is less predictable than VEGAS, at this point.

Computers run the numbers, Financial royalty sets the rules.

The main rule? know what everyone else is doing, buy and sell before the sheep.

You and i don't get trades done like the Kings of Wall st. We get calculated and lucky or unlucky depending on the dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing