Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 AM

3,803 posts, read 5,344,904 times

Advertisements

All of you "Occupy Wall Street" types (aka The Great Unwashed) can go take a flying leap off the Brooklyn Bridge IMHO. U.S. Corporations have done more to raise the standard of living for Americans than the U.S. Government ever has or ever could. This OWS is a bunch of B.S. being pushed forward by the re-elect Obama crowd. He can't claim anything positive in his first 3 years, so he is going with the negative for the final year.

This thread has gotten off track by the OWS mentality in their Blame-the-Successful whining.

Kanhawk, your situation is similar to mine in that I only started saving 16 years ago, and then using mutual funds, which is what your 401(k) is probably still invested through. The difference is that 6 years ago I ditched the mutual funds, after mild 10-year gains, and went into direct investment myself.

The way to financial success is to own a business in an important industry. If one cannot own a business outright, then partial ownership, through stocks, is the next best thing. U.S. corporations lead the world in the production of goods and services, and are still the envy in regards to innovation.

If your 401(k) has the option, take a look at the sovereign debt of non-European nations. I use a closed-end fund (GIM) and an ETF (ELD) to get exposure to the debt of countries like South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Brazil, Sweden and etc. They both have decent distribution yields (4-8%) and you can either take the monthly payout in cash, or re-invest in more shares. Yes, the prices are dropping somewhat now, but that means that the yields are going up.

I am a contrarian in that when prices drop, I get happy. Jeremy Siegel has an excellent analysis of the yield versus price issue in his book The Future for Investors. It is actually better that prices stay down rather than racing to the sun. Prices going sideways drives out the speculators and allows the investors to build bigger positions at lower prices. As they say in North Dakota "Fifty below keeps the riff-raff out." We'll see what winter does with The Great Unwashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
imho these boys on wall street are working us pretty hard. any deal to give a stock portfolio instead of a pension or social security check should be rejected by the little guy.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:50 AM

106,831 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Did anyone really think that the Baby Boom could have trillions of dollars in retirement plans, without a fool-proof plan in place by the upper-class to confiscate the vast majority of it for themselves?

How much naivete is left out there after the things we've learned about financial manipulation at the highest levels over the past 5 or 6 years?
i dont know what you see daily happening but i see a market that reacts to the days events as it should. if things look up that day we go up if the news is negative we go down. im not sure where you see this scam on a large scale.

there will always be criminal behavior by a few in all walks of life but basically i see the markets reacting just the way they should and just the way they alway have.

if things were rosey and you were loosing money or going no where then i agree something is wrong.

but the days and years action reflect exactly what we are seeing out there . 2 back to back recessions the last 12 years with one of them a near financial collapse. that better be reflected in a poor market..

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-17-2011 at 04:01 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 AM

5,484 posts, read 6,329,907 times
Quote:
Same thing under another name.... controlled by the same manipulators.
There's just no talking to you conspiracy types is there. You need to come out from under your tinfoil hats and get a dose of reality. I'm done on this thread. Out.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 AM

the funny thing about their logic of being manipulated is that if you bought the same types of funds and stocks that are in the asset classes that did well because we had no prosperty there was lots of money made by those who bought them.

Long treasury stock funds and etf's did great, gold stocks and commodity etf's did great, etc....

they made the error of betting on one economic outcome, bet wrong on the economy turning around this past decade and now scream they were cheated because they werent up..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:04 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,721,236 times
It started with ERISA, which forced employers to fund their pensions. The 401K was invented to escape that. You can't really blame the employers, it was something like what the GOP is doing to the Post Office, driving them out of business to fund pensions. Once all that money hit the Stock Market the Parasites there couldn't help but fatten themselves up until they started killing the host

Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,989,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
There's just no talking to you conspiracy types is there. You need to come out from under your tinfoil hats and get a dose of reality. I'm done on this thread. Out.
Take off the rose colored glasses and wake up to the reality that the game is rigged, fixed, and your nothing but a pawn on the front line of greed.

When your eyes are solely on making profit. You'll miss the Lion that is tracking you for it's next meal.

The financial world has never been more corrupt, and fragile, and all you are is their Cannon Fodder.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM

WORKS FOR ME!!!!!! even over the last decade i was up more than i would be invested anywhere else. did nothing special except diversify into bonds and gold along with equities and let it ride.....

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
All of you "Occupy Wall Street" types (aka The Great Unwashed) can go take a flying leap off the Brooklyn Bridge IMHO. U.S. Corporations have done more to raise the standard of living for Americans than the U.S. Government ever has or ever could.
Umm.....the "occupy wall street" movement has little to do with some sort of general anti-corporate message. They are primarily complaining about the financial industry and the distorted distribution of wealth.....so how exactly have financial corporations raised the standard of living for Americans?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i dont know what you see daily happening but i see a market that reacts to the days events as it should. if things look up that day we go up if the news is negative we go down. im not sure where you see this scam on a large scale.
Except of course that on any given day there is both good and bad news...so how do you determine what news the market is actually moving on? Let me guess....you listen to what is stated in the media?

Always thought it funny that people took this stuff seriously....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing