Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Even if you are Captain Jack Aubrey, never go against the tide. Short interest does a cyclical 9m to 9m and has only been declining over the last few weeks. Two consistent 5+ percentage dips. Market sentiment looks the other way from short sellers. Good luck shorting this one. Am very interested at the 3/15 data. Let's wait and watch.

You're welcome to calculate the short interest ratio and compare it to something where the short interest ratio is insane. Like, UEC, maintaining a consistent short interest ratio which has been alarming since the nuke crisis and shows no sign of abating.

Settlement Date Short Interest Percent Change Average Daily Share Volume Days to Cover
02/29/2012 9,797,118 (6.22) 23,178,150 1.00
02/15/2012 10,446,497 (1.35) 19,290,748 1.00
01/31/2012 10,589,404 (8.16) 14,754,114 1.00
01/13/2012 11,530,052 15.73 10,072,631 1.14
12/30/2011 9,962,590 (5.89) 9,656,582 1.03

Apple Inc. (AAPL) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com (http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/aapl/short-interest - broken link)
You know, I have to admire anyone who manages to cite Patrick O'Brian in an investment forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The highlighted text pretty much proves that you don't know what you're talking about. The first rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.
What hole? Stop digging? huh?

I don't know what I'm talking about because I cited the fact that Apple has done well?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I don't know what I'm talking about because I cited the fact that Apple has done well?
You're just trying to act contrarian for the sake of acting contrarian.

But contrarianism is all about making the right call when being contrarian.

You just don't argue against Apple stock when it's the most favourite stock on wall street. I have zero positions in apple stock or options at the moment. But Apple wasn't bearish even in a two year bear market since 2010, when Greece first burst.

I also remember you favoured the netflix stock when the whole world was killing it. So I am thinking talking contrary makes you feel cool? If not, then walk the talk and buy apple puts tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Well, given how iTunes accounts for 70% of all digital music sales worldwide, I'm not sure how you can make that statement with a straight face.
Perhaps because you're getting things wrong? You are citing 2010 numbers for digital sales within the US....those aren't "worldwide" numbers and in 2010 digital sales didn't make up anywhere near the majority of music sales.

Apple does not, and never will, "utterly dominate" music distribution.... In fact Apple's share of digital sales is slowly declining....

Quote:
The fact that, between iPods, iPads, and iPhones has sold close to 400 million units, a number that is accelerating, speaks to the long term prospects on the company and its channels.
As I hinted at previously, you're simply ignoring more recent modes of distribution. Spotify and similar platforms all run on these devices and with the rolling out of 4G networks, they become far more desirable than buying music on iTunes.

I haven't purchased music in years, I simply listen to whatever I like on spotify, etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You know, I have to admire anyone who manages to cite Patrick O'Brian in an investment forum.
I always consider successful investing/trading pretty much like Aubrey.

His ship never sinks. He navigates well. Makes the right call on the weather and even survives stronger ships. Even at the point of sinking, he has his crew repair the ship somehow and evades death. That is the ultimate trading strategy.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I also remember you favoured the netflix stock when the whole world was killing it. So I am thinking talking contrary makes you feel cool?
You do? Because I don't.... I have never "favored" netflix stock.

Quote:
If not, then walk the talk and buy apple puts tomorrow.
Are you just not paying attention? I have said, numerous times now, that I don't think shorting Apple right now is a good idea....yet you tell me to buy puts tomorrow? How does that follow?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Perhaps because you're getting things wrong? You are citing 2010 numbers for digital sales within the US....those aren't "worldwide" numbers and in 2010 digital sales didn't make up anywhere near the majority of music sales.
Actually, that market share number was as of October, 2011.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Apple does not, and never will, "utterly dominate" music distribution.... In fact Apple's share of digital sales is slowly declining....

As I hinted at previously, you're simply ignoring more recent modes of distribution. Spotify and similar platforms all run on these devices and with the rolling out of 4G networks, they become far more desirable than buying music on iTunes.

I haven't purchased music in years, I simply listen to whatever I like on spotify, etc.
It's very clear that you are blowing smoke.

The music industry will get in bed with anyone who can achieve something they have been desperately trying to do since Napster took them all to the woodshed.

For the first time, everyone is scenting the regulation of music where people are starting to buy music on iTunes. iTunes is still in its nascent state, and it's going to regulate music purchases of the future, effectively fight piracy and make the average Joe think that he is not spending much on the music.

There will be a time when iTunes synching will simply identify which tracks aren't copyrighted, and though it will take years to roll out, Apple and its rigid fanbase and their ubiquity in consumer entertainment is what is going to achieve the unachievable. At that point, every music exec will throw his/her weight behind Apple. I just don't understand how anyone cannot see this coming.

Just becoz "you" don't use iTunes, right?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:

No. You said 'fairly well.' An enormous difference, for it demonstrates that you can't look at the company in an honest, objective way. By just about any measurement one can name, whether in products, sales, margins, revenue streams, etc., Apple has hit a home run over the past decade and the stock price simply reflects that. For you to diminish that by saying "fairly well" borders on absurd.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You do? Because I don't.... I have never "favored" netflix stock.

Are you just not paying attention? I have said, numerous times now, that I don't think shorting Apple right now is a good idea....yet you tell me to buy puts tomorrow? How does that follow?
I'm not gonna spend time searching for those posts, but my memory is in tact and that is enough.

I have been paying attention. You came out and said Apple is a good short "pretty soon". Let's see where you identify this so called trend reversal. That's what I am interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing