Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Whether you look at the government numbers, or numbers published by private organizations...its the same. Inflation has been low the last few years...
Umm, I saw an interesting comment on the actual youtube page...

"Ten years ago one barrel of oil cost $19, or 4.5 ounces of silver. Today one barrel costs $110, or 3 ounces of silver. Which is real money?"

Tell me inflation is low... What shocks me is there are still people who accept what the government suggests as fact...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
... what exactly is required to make gold go parabolic
It requires a mania.

A mania like in the year 1998 and I was comfortable buying high-grade corporates yielding 8-9%.
People around me tried to make me feel stupid for not participating in the 20% growth that was
widely believed to be continuing for decades. "Don't you get it?"

When the guy selling me my mattress starts trying to tell me to get into gold.
"It's a sure thing." ( This happened to me in 1999 with tech stocks. )

When I stop hearing people saying that gold is not money and it's junk, then I'll be seeing parabolas.

Right now, almost nobody owns gold. Almost nobody can say anything intelligent about it.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Umm, I saw an interesting comment on the actual youtube page...

"Ten years ago one barrel of oil cost $19, or 4.5 ounces of silver. Today one barrel costs $110, or 3 ounces of silver. Which is real money?"

Tell me inflation is low... What shocks me is there are still people who accept what the government suggests as fact...
inflation takes in a whole bunch of stuff from all different sectors of the economy. energy and food are up but other areas are not.

im not saying our cost of living hasnt gone up but comparing items that have sky rocketed isnt accurate either if your measuring inflation.

You can buy less gas for a dollar, but you can buy more house and less mortgage if you refinance.

things like computers and electronics have plumged from what they were.

manufacturers disguise the fact prices have tumbled by packing in more features and power and keeping prices the same .

anyone who hasnt refinanced over the last 10 years and hasnt seen their monthly nut fall is living under a rock.

like i said measuring the relationship of two products against each other really isnt measuring inflation .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-03-2012 at 03:21 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
It requires a mania.

A mania like in the year 1998 and I was comfortable buying high-grade corporates yielding 8-9%.
People around me tried to make me feel stupid for not participating in the 20% growth that was

When I stop hearing people saying that gold is not money and it's junk, then I'll be seeing parabolas.

Right now, almost nobody owns gold. Almost nobody can say anything intelligent about it.

the goverment wont ever tell people to buy gold like they tell people to buy houses or stocks , their is ample reason for gold to be soaring in price at the moment but it isnt , sure europe might get a lot worse but its already been in trouble for a long time yet gold has not responded , the only time gold jumps is when BB decides to debase the greenback

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM

385 posts, read 357,923 times
Quote:
It requires a mania.

well put, I don't think we are anywhere near a mania or bubble at this point. With increasing debt loads worldwide, subsequent money printing, hundreds of trillions in currency and credit derivatives, I do not see how Gold won't go up long term.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 AM

385 posts, read 357,923 times
Another thing to factor in is more money and wealth will be slowly shifting to asia, particularly China and India. Both have cultures that place more value on Gold and Silver than the USA.

China is even urging it's citizens to buy gold and silver now.

The Chinese Government Advises Citizens To Buy Gold & Silver | Cookeville Times | Cookeville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports | Lifestyle

Of course our own U.S. government wouldn't tell us that because they need every extra dollar they can get buying U.S. Bonds and Treasuries to keep that market propped up. (along with the stock market to some extent)

The Chinese govt has no such worries.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
"Ten years ago one barrel of oil cost $19, or 4.5 ounces of silver.
Today one barrel costs $110, or 3 ounces of silver. Which is real money?"
It's more fun to use old US coins.

In 1960, you could buy gasoline for 15/cents per gallon ( give or take ).
Today, with 1960 dimes, quarters, halves, you can still buy gasoline for that price ( give or take ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
inflation takes in a whole bunch of stuff
... You can buy less gas for a dollar, but you can buy more house ...
... things like computers and electronics have plumged ... .
Things like electronics have plunged due to technological improvements.

That's why when you compare exchange rates of gold and silver, things
like bread, a man's suit, oil/gasoline, and other similar things are used.

Things that are subject to improvements in production methods don't compare so well.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
correct , but quality improvements and technology advances are all things that pull the cpi in the oppposite direction of food and energy ..

Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16trillionandcounting View Post
all they do is put the data into the formula that the govt used back in 1980 to calculate inflation, so what exactly did they "pad"?
No, all they are doing is padding the CPI with some multiplier. There has been both changes to the underlying data and methodology so there is no way to derive the original methodology unless you collect and perform the analysis yourself.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
That's why when you compare exchange rates of gold and silver, things
like bread, a man's suit, oil/gasoline, and other similar things are used.

Things that are subject to improvements in production methods don't compare so well.
Hate to break it to you, but everything is subject to "improvements in production methods". In the 1930's bread was largely made by hand, today you can make bread with automated systems that require just a few operators. Same goes for mining, oil drilling, etc....all of these have been dramatically improved by technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing