Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
one thing ive learned this past few years is that the hacks who appear on bloomberg and cnbc every day are all paid mouthpieces , one thing is sure their not telling us what they really think
This is true. They are paid to mislead the masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
i think part of that is true. the part of them not telling us what they really think implies they know any better than anyone else. they are paid talking heads, without much in those heads.

anyway, id expect the greeks to vote bailout party and the market get a short term jump. but that really wont change much except for the uncertainty over this particular election. the problem still needs to be dealt with.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think part of that is true. the part of them not telling us what they really think implies they know any better than anyone else. they are paid talking heads, without much in those heads.

anyway, id expect the greeks to vote bailout party and the market get a short term jump. but that really wont change much except for the uncertainty over this particular election. the problem still needs to be dealt with.
The problem is no one can accurately predict with any certainty what will become of Greece in the next 3-6 months. Also, no one can predict accurately how the markets will react....

Anyone who says otherwise is lying....

We all know they (Greece) have a problem and refuse to fix it properly....

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

those that are ultra bearish most likely make their living by shorting , opposite is true with the ultra bulls

occasionally you get someone who tells it like it is but the bulk of the opinion on those business chanells have about as much coherance as conservative talk radio callers

Last edited by irish_bob; 06-12-2012 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,672,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
^^^^ Great post.
Thanks, just trying to make investing simple for us small folks. This is not the market of the buy and hold now, there is some string attached now. So its better to mix technical and fundamental analysis and keep an eye on European bond rates. The rates are near all time highs. Not good.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
So its better to mix technical and fundamental analysis and keep an eye on European bond rates. The rates are near all time highs. Not good.
So it sounds like you disagree with the OP, who expects the market to soar. I, too, think things the general trend is going downhill, based on technical analysis of the charts.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Irish Bob, long term investing is not 5 years....

If you are planning on figuring on making "gains" in 5 years, that is speculating....too short of a time period..
Although you're philosophy is prevalent, it is also completely illogical. According to your way of thinking, if you buy and hold XYZ Mutual Fund for 20 years, you are "investing" for the long-term even though the manager of XYZ may be buying and selling individual companies on a daily basis and will turn over the entire portfolio every year or two.

However, if you put together your own portfolio of stocks, basically creating your very own personal mutual fund, but you sell any one stock in fewer than five years, then you're not "investing" in the market, you're "speculating."

It makes no sense whatsoever, yet it is a prevalent viewpoint of anyone who believes that mutual funds are the one true acceptable way to "invest" in the market and that anyone who buys individual companies is merely speculating. (Right, Mathjak? )

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
^^^^ Great post.
Quote:
So it sounds like you disagree with the OP, who expects the market to soar. I, too, think things the general trend is going downhill, based on technical analysis of the charts.
I just like to gather as much bearish and bullish information as I can and make a decision for myself. And my decision is stay out of the market because there is too much bearish fundamental data out there. High Europe bond rates, bad unemployment numbers in the US, its summer (sell in may and go away), no qe3 anytime soon, Europe threat to leave Euro zone, News Headlines , etc.

Crude oil tanking, etc...

So we have two decision. 1. Do you think the market can rally more? 2. Do you think the market can sell off more?

The evidence is pointing to not rallying higher, atleast not long term. So, I wait for 1264 to consider going long again. And swing/day trade in the meantime, with little captial. Or look into trading the futures with some small cash.

I bought AKS for a swing trade just incase the market want a mini rally. Sunday is Europe elections, so could be a pop.

Everything is in cash for me for now. Except for holding since 2009 and I may sell that soon.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, the trend is down now. The path of least resistance is down for sure.

One positive note is that the SPX is holding the 9ema today.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Although you're philosophy is prevalent, it is also completely illogical. According to your way of thinking, if you buy and hold XYZ Mutual Fund for 20 years, you are "investing" for the long-term even though the manager of XYZ may be buying and selling individual companies on a daily basis and will turn over the entire portfolio every year or two.

However, if you put together your own portfolio of stocks, basically creating your very own personal mutual fund, but you sell any one stock in fewer than five years, then you're not "investing" in the market, you're "speculating."

It makes no sense whatsoever, yet it is a prevalent viewpoint of anyone who believes that mutual funds are the one true acceptable way to "invest" in the market and that anyone who buys individual companies is merely speculating. (Right, Mathjak? )

i have a fierce distrust of mutual or managed funds , in my experience , the brokers , banks you sign up with and the fund manager itself are all in on a big skim

i have my eye on real estate towards the end of next year ( not in the usa ) and while it might apparently make more sense to simply stick all my money in a savings account , its too dangerous to have all your money in european banks right now , therefore i have half my money in cash and the other half in quality stocks ( 40% ) and the remaining 10% in silver and gold , if the market hasnt collapsed towards the end of 2013 , i intend to sell most of my stocks , buy real estate and whatever i have left is going into a well balanced ETF and there it shall stay for twenty five years at least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing