Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
you can pick that right company but miss earnings by a nickle and it can plunge 20% in the blink of an eye.
...which provides a nice buying opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM

106,726 posts, read 108,937,910 times
not if your doughs already tied up in it.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Greek elections on June 17 are going to pan out...the polls think the pro bailout party is going to win, the markets are going to fly high once the pro bailout party wins.... we could see DOW 13,000+

That is my prediction
I don't see why as most don't expect a one party win.Even then no solution to the real probelm.Markets just not reacting to more news that changes nothing really.All parties now say they want to remin in eurpo zone and all want some modificatio to terms of the agreemnt on measures to cut.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I didn't say Greece's troubles will be over, I said the market will soar - different things.

The market soars on short term good news.
This is just me, but I don't really care. The key phrase is "short term". I have a long term investment plan because I know trying to time these things is equivalent to thinking you're going to win the lottery.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,672,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can pick that right company but miss earnings by a nickle and it can plunge 20% in the blink of an eye.
Solve that problem easily, by not holding over earnings unless you deep in the money. Or sell and jump back in. Remember, just learn to play the game. Not rocket science. Bond rates in Europe are all time high. Sell in may and go away. Crude is dropping. Europe is in stinker. look for the low.

If you are long term investor, buy the market when its 1100 and below. Or maybe even 1200 depending on the stocks. And just hold still! Market is not 1200 and below, so go to sleep or just observe.

If you are swing trading or short term trading, you need to know some technical analysis and patterns, and market trend. Trend is down now, so trade accordingly.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 AM

i prefer the alignment of the plants myself as an indicator.

ask yourself this, if charts and technicals were reliable why isnt every fund beating its index? it would be simple enough to know when to buy and sell.

answer,: because they only work until they dont.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
if charts and technicals were reliable why isnt every fund beating its index?
That's why you should rely on the fundementals of the company, not market conditions or trading patterns.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 AM

i agree there but never confuse a good company with a good stock. i learned that early on as an investor .

they are not the same.

you can find the greatest company in the world but if its not followed by analysts and the wall street sun doesnt shine on it ,that stock goes no where. i bought stocks over the years that had more in just cash holdings then the companies sold for. . as great as these companies were they proved to be poor choices as the markets just refused to recognize them .

finally today one of them finally got its due but for decades nothing..

Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i prefer the alignment of the plants myself as an indicator.

ask yourself this, if charts and technicals were reliable why isnt every fund beating its index? it would be simple enough to know when to buy and sell.

answer,: because they only work until they dont.
The charts gives an extra edge. You better believe Chase, GS, etc, have a paid technical analyst giving them extra advice along with their fundamental outlook.

If charts and technical did not work, then you would not hear people talking about technical analysis. Trust me, they work.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
That's why you should rely on the fundementals of the company, not market conditions or trading patterns.
True, fundamentals of a company indeed is required. But just imagine how better outlook you would have if you had all three as your weapons: fundamentals, technical analysis, and market conditions/context. Like I said, its all about having as much as an edge as possible. Its all a game, and its a game that big and smart money will win, we just need to pick the trend/wave and ride it with them and know when to jump off. That's just how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing