Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

This was widely written in many publications in 1978-1979.

Gross is another billionaire attention hoar like Buffet who made a lot
of money, but lately had really done a crappy job for their investors.

Generally, when you are reading a lot about how crappy equities are, they are set to turn up.

The opposite is true when you are reading about how they are so wonderful and likely to keep going up ...
..... like in 1999 ... and in 1929 .... I could go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
he is full of %#^*
He has a point, to some degree. Baring something, the stock market can't keep returning 6%+ in real returns while GDP is increasing by half of that. Of course, that something is trade. Take AAPL. Massively profitable, but it adds comparatively little to GDP. So yeah, GDP didn't grow that much in America, but equities profited handsomely off of growth of GDP in China and Taiwan. As long as that continues, I agree. He's full of it

Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Short term i think stocks could melt up.

You cant get anymore contrarian in the markets than now.

For the 3rd time since 1950 there is so much fear and negativity out there that the yield on the s&p is higher than the 10 year treasury.

Each time thats happened stocks exploded upward.

When we were 13,000 a few years ago stocks were expensive.

While not cheap right now they are fairly priced.

Throw in potential for a qe3 and the ground work is set for an upward explosion.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
He has a point, to some degree. Baring something, the stock market can't keep returning 6%+ in real returns while GDP is increasing by half of that. Of course, that something is trade. Take AAPL. Massively profitable, but it adds comparatively little to GDP. So yeah, GDP didn't grow that much in America, but equities profited handsomely off of growth of GDP in China and Taiwan. As long as that continues, I agree. He's full of it
Factor in the Dow is merely the top companies in the USA, but definitely NOT representative of the rest of enterprise in America, aka USA Inc. What % of companies in the US are even listed on the exchange? Even Facebook, a very very large company, was private until recently (and should have stayed private really).

You can have the top 10% of companies who have 6-8% growth through international business and domestic business, but the rest of the economy do poorly and thus outstrip GDP growth. I mean that's what is happening in the USA right now. Small mom and pop shops are really hurting but the big boys are getting record profits. It's amazing to me that he didn't realize that. The Dow is an indicator. Plain and simple. Nothing more. It's a microcosm, nothing more.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Facebook doesn't really deserve a mention... It's revenue is pitiful.

Dow 30? 30 companies. They're not the biggest either. Apple isn't on it.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Factor in the Dow is merely the top companies in the USA, but definitely NOT representative of the rest of enterprise in America, aka USA Inc. What % of companies in the US are even listed on the exchange? Even Facebook, a very very large company, was private until recently (and should have stayed private really).

You can have the top 10% of companies who have 6-8% growth through international business and domestic business, but the rest of the economy do poorly and thus outstrip GDP growth. I mean that's what is happening in the USA right now. Small mom and pop shops are really hurting but the big boys are getting record profits. It's amazing to me that he didn't realize that. The Dow is an indicator. Plain and simple. Nothing more. It's a microcosm, nothing more.
Look at cap-weighted versus equal-weighted returns on the S&P 500, interesting. Same thing applies. The small guys in the S&P have done amazingly well. The big boys not so much, at least over the last three years. Esoterics on how inappropriate this indicator is and how this indicator is so much more awesomely good at accurately reflecting the real economy... both the DOW and S&P 500 move in the same general direction, not that I would ever call either of them indicators of the real economy. Do you think the real economy lost 50% of its output when the market crashed? Do you think its grown 100% since then?

I'd say the overwhelming majority of companies are listed on the exchange. Between NYSE and NASDAQ, you're looking at over 5,000 companies and certainly all the major ones.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-02-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
One of the stock gurus was on TV other day, and said when he graduated from college in 1967, Dow was in 1,000, 15 years later in 1981, Dow was at 1,000. and look at where we are now.

World isn't about to end, population will grow another billion in 10-15 years. GDP will continue to grow.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:35 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
A few years later from 1981 the greatest bull market in history took off from the depths of hell where the word equities made you vomit.

In fact business week had its famous cover declaring equities dead after so many years of bad returns and a horrible out look as far as you could see.

Sound familiar?

Stocks had a 17 year run up producing average annual returns of 13.7% a year cagr .

No one could believe it.

Most of the best gains were very early on while folks sat on the sidelines still calling it a suckers ralleye

Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
If stock returns have to match GDP growth, and if annual GDP growth in the US is only 3%, is Gross saying it is better to invest in emerging markets such as China where GDP growth is 7 to 8%? Maybe that's what he is trying to say.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If stock returns have to match GDP growth, and if annual GDP growth in the US is only 3%, is Gross saying it is better to invest in emerging markets such as China where GDP growth is 7 to 8%? Maybe that's what he is trying to say.
Since I listen/watch CNBC and Bloomberg most of the day I have a hunch Gross is saying what a lot of other folks are saying but in a different way. This way in a year or so he can claim his supposition was right based on what has happened without having to share credit with a lot of other folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing