Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Good idea, or bad?

Assuming the stock will nose-dive, that is.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Good idea, or bad?

I moved 30% of my 401k into a bond fund back in the summer anticipating a possible downturn (was a bit early on my prediction) from 100% stocks at the time. However, just this week, I changed my future investments back up to 80% stocks and 20% to the bond fund due to the recent pullback. Have to imagine even the politicians in Washington are smart enough to realize how vital it is to work together to figure this out before the end of the year.

My issue w/bond funds long-term is that interest rates have nowhere to go now but up from where we are at, and as interest rates rise, the value of bonds typically goes the opposite direction. I'm only using that fund in the short-term, b/c it's pretty steady and I knew we were likely in for a rocky ride this last half of the year.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I moved 30% of my 401k into a bond fund back in the summer anticipating a possible downturn (was a bit early on my prediction) from 100% stocks at the time. However, just this week, I changed my future investments back up to 80% stocks and 20% to the bond fund due to the recent pullback. Have to imagine even the politicians in Washington are smart enough to realize how vital it is to work together to figure this out before the end of the year.

My issue w/bond funds long-term is that interest rates have nowhere to go now but up from where we are at, and as interest rates rise, the value of bonds typically goes the opposite direction. I'm only using that fund in the short-term, b/c it's pretty steady and I knew we were likely in for a rocky ride this last half of the year.
See, that's the thing. Bond prices always move in the opposite direction than interest rates, and the rates are likely to go up, and that's why I am hesitant with bonds.

So, I wonder what people think is the best place to park your money if you believe the stocks are going to get hammered. It seems like they are not safe anywhere. I'll have to find out if Fidelity offers a cash/money market fund.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,209 times
Bonds are a bad long-term investment but if you are selling because of the fiscal cliff, the budget does better and the economy does worse if the fiscal cliff happens or uncertainty pervades near-term- that is good for bond prices and indeed the 10-yr Treasury has run from 1.75 to 1.58 since the election.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Bonds are a bad long-term investment but if you are selling because of the fiscal cliff, the budget does better and the economy does worse if the fiscal cliff happens or uncertainty pervades near-term- that is good for bond prices and indeed the 10-yr Treasury has run from 1.75 to 1.58 since the election.
So, you think they might be a good investment for a year or so assuming the stocks get hit.

I am fairly convinced the DOW will fall big in 2013, but of course I could be wrong.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,209 times
3-6 months.

I think US economy is ok and stock market will rally once they come to an agreement. Further into 2013, hard to predict - depends if Europe runs into more panic.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
im 97% bond funds as of now and have been since july, up 9% for the year . personally i dont see things improving in the short term so i think low rates are here for a while longer.

one important event coming up is on dec 31st the unlimited amount of money you could put in a bank and still get it fdic insured as long as it wasnt interest bearing expires.

the emergency act in 2008 that brought in 1.8 trillion in foreign money for safe keeping will no longer give them fdic coverage over 250k

that 1.8 trillion may be looking for a home.

its unlikely to find its way into the stock market but my feeling is quite a bit will end up in bonds here.

they will be looking for safety and capital gains at this level so bonds still may have some oooomph left.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
I can see a reason for folks that are closer to retirement making a more rapid adjustment to bonds. But if you're in your 20s, do you think it makes sense?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Im in bond funds not because im trying to time things. Im retiring in about a year and a half and right now the mix meets goal.

As rates increase so will my equities position but more than likely ill be under 30%.

Again thats because i hope to make my income goal with the least amount of volatility.

If i wasnt retiring then i would be fully invested, i have always turned off the noise and let time do its thing.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I can see a reason for folks that are closer to retirement making a more rapid adjustment to bonds. But if you're in your 20s, do you think it makes sense?

No, I absolutely do not. While I usually refrain from expressing opinions on other people's investment strategy, your question is too fundamental to ignore. I just had this conversation with my 30 yr. old daughter yesterday during our annual personal finance discussion.

My continued advice, which she followed, was to simply ignore the markets and just keep trucking along. Her portfolio allocations in her IRA type account were appropriately established 8 years ago when she started her professional career.

They will remain relatively constant for decades, with perhaps some minor tinkering in the bond portion when interest rates return to the 5-6% level. Otherwise, its on autopilot for the foreseeable future.

She happily experienced a classic and educational example of this wisdom in the '05-'11 period. It offered an excellent primer on market(s) volatility.

Folks near to or actually retired are in an entirely different situation if their funds are to be drawn upon for income in the near to intermediate future. That is a matter for each to choose their own path. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing