Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 06:58 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

170k shed as of yesterday .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 AM

30 posts, read 17,285 times
Yeah, I lost some money in Crypto Business. Because this isn't going well right now. Hope better days will come again and eagerly waiting for that.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
yes, lost $40k+ and counting, 2018 has been a disaster! To add insult to injury I owe 25% taxes now on dividends and 34% tax on my bond interest that have largely lost money.
one slight of hand from the tax cuts is it passed the taxes the corporations are not paying in to share holder equity . now that extra equity gets passed on to us to pay the taxes on instead of the corporations .

very sneaky and nicely done by trump .....

the distributions this year have really been excessive from funds because of it . even index funds will pay the price as soon as some shares are sold .

this was hypothetically like turning the corporations in to a quasi LLC TAX WISE .

an LLC can have a nice fat botton line because no taxes come out . instead they get passed on to the owners to pay personally .

while the corporations still pay some tax much of it was now passed down to us as bigger taxable gains

Old 11-24-2018, 07:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
yes, lost $40k+ and counting, 2018 has been a disaster! To add insult to injury I owe 25% taxes now on dividends and 34% tax on my bond interest that have largely lost money.
I saw a good friend I taught with before we came back to FL in early November
She has sister who is in IT and worked her last job before retiring (probably in early 50s) for Home Depot after it bought a company she has worked at for maybe a decade--
because HD wanted that company (a smaller seller of home improvement products) to redesign its online e-market presence...
Personally I think HD web site still stinks compared to Lowe's but apparently HD was so desireous of her abilities that it paid her a considerable sum as bonus to keep her for couple of years after the buy out...

She has made lot more money in her lifetime because she is good at her job and she was in corporate world and in sector that was rising -- e-marketing--than her sister who teaches....

My friend told me that her sister said after the October down slide started the market's downturn her sister said they had "lost a million dollars so far"...
How it was invested---
If it was stock in HD that she got a bonus/payout or in other types of investments I have no clue

But if you have assets of say 20 million, then losing 1 million is only 1/20 of your nest egg...
even if it is a lot of money

Soros sold all his FB and most Netflix shares before the October dump (and made multiple millions profit) but bought shares in other companies that subsequently lost money-
So while he profited by his two sales, he lost millions with what he purchased...

I hate to lose ANY money in the market
Not as sanguine as Mathjak or my FA

Old 11-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Over $100K year-to-date. The reason I'm not freaking out is that I've been through markets like this before (first time in retirement, though) and the good stuff recovers. My net worth has also gone up by an average of 1.9% per year AFTER withdrawals since I retired in mid-2014 so my withdrawals are sustainable.

I just wish I had more new money to throw into the markets at this level! It certainly helped my recovery during the financial crisis.
same here . we have been retired and drawing income for 3-1/2 years and even now we are still a head of the day we retired . but none the less seeing so much evaporate from your balance so quickly like it did is disheartening, it just goes with the territory .

Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one slight of hand from the tax cuts is it passed the taxes the corporations are not paying in to share holder equity . now that extra equity gets passed on to us to pay the taxes on instead of the corporations .

very sneaky and nicely done by trump .....

the distributions this year have really been excessive from funds because of it . even index funds will pay the price as soon as some shares are sold .

this was hypothetically like turning the corporations in to a quasi LLC TAX WISE .

an LLC can have a nice fat botton line because no taxes come out . instead they get passed on to the owners to pay personally .

while the corporations still pay some tax much of it was now passed down to us as bigger taxable gains
I think Trump likely had some input from his advisors about that aspect
His long-time accountant who did tax returns when he was married to Ivana--first wife--said that Trump could care less about tax return questions--that she was the one with the questions--
That sounds like something the Koch brothers would be interested in having happen...as owners of businesses

Yes--we had LLC for the o/g production interests (different than mineral royalty interest) that my husband had been offered because of his employment with privately owned o/g production company--
And you are right--you pay as personal income tax...
We had benefit that it was sole-proprietorship--
There are retirement options available that way that other companies with employees can't take advantage of

I had not read that aspect of the tax bill--wasn't something discussed in news before bill was passed--
But there was not lot of open discussion about provisions
Was closely held by McConnell and GOP leadership prior to putting it up for vote
And apparently lot of the provisions were only discovered to be "questionable" after tax attorneys saw it and tried to understand how it impacted clients...
That seems almost illegal...

Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 AM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Anyone care to share which stocks or funds are responsible for their losses. I’m suprised to see some big numbers from some of you guys when it comes to losses this year because the S&P is pretty much flate YTD, down 1.35% (SPY).

Old 11-24-2018, 07:56 AM

some examples . i don't own all , but they are examples of the size of the drop overall . tech and faang were a sizable part of many funds

i see fidelity contra is down 12% the last 90 days . blue chip growth down 13% , fidelity otc down 15% , fidelity small cap growth down 16% , fidelity total market down 8% ,fidelity balanced down 8% . this does not include yesterdays drop either

Old 11-24-2018, 08:09 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

But a 100% gain on 5% more shares is more money!

Actually, 5% less "invested" (your definition) due to rollback equals 5% more shares due to reinvestment which means the 100% gain creates the same amount of money either way. It is a wash.

These two statements can not both be true. The first is false and the second is accurate

Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Anyone care to share which stocks or funds are responsible for their losses. I’m suprised to see some big numbers from some of you guys when it comes to losses this year because the S&P is pretty much flate YTD, down 1.35% (SPY).
Anything tech heavy is going to be taking heavier losses due to FANG, one would think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing