Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,851,736 times

Advertisements

My thought of the day:

Coke needs to diversify their product portfolio by introducing a snack division; preferably "healthy" snacks. They have an iron-clad distribution system and a long list of partners. Use these as an advantage! Also, some of the execs at Coke have over stayed their welcome. Perhaps Mr. Buffet can finally flex his muscle and "persuade" the BOD that a change is needed. Other than these points Coke is a fantastic company.

For the long-term investors: "Stay the course." -John 'Jack' Bogle.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
When we consider 75% of the population is overweight, maybe consumers are doing something about this and making healthy choices.
I can only hope this is true!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:47 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
My thoughts:

This has been a very nice bounce! I hope we are forming a high base that lasts a couple months before the next leg up!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My thoughts:

This has been a very nice bounce! I hope we are forming a high base that lasts a couple months before the next leg up!
Sure looks like it. With IR so low stocks are still attractive. Also earnings up quite nicely. Interesting how the media only focuses on the misses we got on IBM, MCD etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,978,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
When we consider 75% of the population is overweight, maybe consumers are doing something about this and making healthy choices. Stocks like MCD and KO will see this on their top and bottom lines.
This is something I recently came across that could have a negative impact on Coke and other purveyors of sugary soft drinks. Not only could this impact soft drink manufactures, but also fast foods and snacks. A cultural change may need to be considered as people are leaning more towards making healthy choices.

The Exercise Cost of Soda and Juice - The Atlantic

Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
When we consider 75% of the population is overweight, maybe consumers are doing something about this and making healthy choices. Stocks like MCD and KO will see this on their top and bottom lines.
I fail to see how eating at 5 Guys or Chipolte is any healthier than MCD, and either way, they're drink Coke or Pepsi with their food there anyway. Hell, 5 Guys has got to be worse than MCD, have you seen the size of their burgers and the size of the fry orders there? 5 Guys and Chipolte are no healthier, just trendier, and in fast food, trendy gets old fast.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
Meh. Don't we have enough drama already? Investing should be boring.
Amen to that! Hell, I don't think I could come up with a daily thought worth posting, other than to comment on specific happenings at companies that I own or are watching. But that would bore the 99% of posters who would rather talk about inflation, deflation, ebola, Putin, The Fed, Janet Yellen, interest rates, QE, the ECB, China slowdowns, etc, etc. Successful investing IS boring. Shut off CNBC and ignore the noise!

Discussing aliens would be pretty cool though.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:06 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,978,171 times
Maybe someone should start a healthy choice chain of fast food/fresh food choices. A place could offer fresh fruits and vegetables and call itself "Hucksters." It's a thought.

Another thought is designer lunch bags suitable for keeping fresh healthy choice lunches. People would buy the designer bags just to make the statement that they're making healthy choices.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:28 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Could you short both fas and faz because of the decay that occurs with the daily rebalancing?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I fail to see how eating at 5 Guys or Chipolte is any healthier than MCD, and either way, they're drink Coke or Pepsi with their food there anyway. Hell, 5 Guys has got to be worse than MCD, have you seen the size of their burgers and the size of the fry orders there? 5 Guys and Chipolte are no healthier, just trendier, and in fast food, trendy gets old fast.
I don't know about Five Guys, but the ingredients Chipolte uses is definitely a lot higher compared to McDonalds... light years higher. This has nothing to do with fat in my opinion, it has to do with health. People including myself are buying as much organic or at least free-range, natural foods these days.

ADD: Actually I was at Five Guys not too long ago and they make their burgers from raw 100% beef, so it is much more healthy than McDonalds, pre-cooked preservative pink slime crap that never grows mold.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 10-21-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing