Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:03 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhboy View Post
Problem with the simple method is IT WORKS..................lol.

Hedge funds? where are the customers yachts.....................hahahaha!
don't kid yourself my daughter inlaw works for one of the best known hedge fund managers ever and they have made some clients very wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:56 AM

574 posts, read 697,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
don't kid yourself my daughter inlaw works for one of the best known hedge fund managers ever and they have made some clients very wealthy.
Look at the overall performance of hedge funds and compare them to even, say, the S&P 500.

Link.

There's a ton of other information on how horrible hedge funds, on average, perform. A very few each year will perform better than the index, but there's really no way to know in advance that the hedge fund you invest in will do better than the index (and usually, it won't). Proves that even the very rich can be stupid with their money.

Warren buffet even made a $1M bet that hedge funds would perform worse than the index funds. Here's the update:

Quote:
At the end of 2013, Vanguard’s Admiral shares — the S&P index fund that’s carrying Buffett’s colors — were up for the six years that began Jan. 1, 2008 by 43.8%. For the same period, Protégé’s five funds of funds, on the average, gained only by an estimated 12.5% (a figure minutely uncertain because some of the funds lack final figures for 2013).

Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Maybe I need to meet with a Fidelity advisor. I have a smallish portfolio with them and they keep calling to set up a meeting.

Anyway your approach may seem reasonable to you but to me it sounds complicated with lots more choices that I want to make. Beta, sector, index, overall volatility, tax optimized, etc, etc. All of that is way beyond my time and interest.

I have diversified stock funds which are largely classed as growth/value and are primarily large cap. My bond funds are short, intermediate. My sole concern is allocation. I want to be at a maximum stock allocation when the market grows. For me, I feel comfortable at a maximum allocation of about 60%. Before the next major downturn, I want to be largely out of the market, at 40% or less. All I need to do is decide when to change my allocation. Getting that right (or wrong) will have major consequences. I do not want to be in the large majority group that makes the wrong allocation moves.
There you go, your road to Rome has the sights you are comfortable with and the right speed limit. That is the critical thing. You are there. Pity the 25 year old who still is learning to drive and has a broken down car. Lots of time still to get there but.........

Old 11-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Look at the overall performance of hedge funds and compare them to even, say, the S&P 500.

Link.

There's a ton of other information on how horrible hedge funds, on average, perform. A very few each year will perform better than the index, but there's really no way to know in advance that the hedge fund you invest in will do better than the index (and usually, it won't). Proves that even the very rich can be stupid with their money.

Warren buffet even made a $1M bet that hedge funds would perform worse than the index funds. Here's the update:
there are quite a few with amazing long term track records. hedge funds need volatility. in the years markets are volatile they average 11% better than the s&p and in years we are not they average about 3% less than the s& p as a group.

it is really a manager by manager issue. some have out performed by wide margins until the last few years when volatility fell off. even counting sub par performance the last few years the overall records are still far above the s&p's.

boy even with the crappy last few years had I been invested in the fund my daughter inlaw works for I would have been way way ahead based on the time frame I have been an investor.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-26-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Ok, let's say you want to invest long-term, both lump-sum and monthly installments. What do you think is the best approach? Do you have something better not mentioned here in mind? -Thanks for all your input.

a) Buy and hold Berkshire Hathaway or baby-Berkshires like MKL, Leucadia, any other?
NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Undiversified = you could lose your shirt!

Quote:
b) Tactical asset allocation stocks, bonds, commodities, cash, REITs and annual rebalancing a la Mebane Faber
Reasonable, but not optimal. You can get the benefit of rebalancing without keeping that much unemployed cash (see Bogleheads • View topic - Hyper-rebalancing? .)

Quote:
c) Eternal portfolio 50% bonds, 50% stocks, annual rebalancing
50% bonds is too much to have when long-term rates are at or near all-time lows!**

Quote:

d) Tactical asset allocation as in b) but annual rebalancing by relative strength
e) Buy and hold DWAS small cap momentum ETF (following Fama/French approach)
I understand it is not 100% passive as some approaches require annual rebalancing. I like to challenge my own approach from time to time. Thanks for your input.
I'd say some mix of small capitalization, total market, real estate*, international, gold ETF's***, and some bonds. Try to find mutual funds with low expense ratios and always remember not to hold high-turnover mutual funds in taxable accounts!

*as in, actual properties, not REIT's. REIT's are overvalued right now by all reasonable metrics. Find a cheap house or apt. and buy it with cash. The absence of a mortgage can be viewed as a "virtual bond" allocation. The advantage of the "no-mortgage" investment over a true bond allocation is, first, that mortgage rates usually exceed Treasury rates, and second, that it is fully hedged - you have zero risk of bonds being unable to pay your mortgage installments. In return for this hedging, you must give up some liquidity. For this reason you should also have some true bonds as well, even if it means you must have a somewhat cheaper property than otherwise.

**Long-term bonds with a high Macaulay duration are highly prone to losing value as rates rise. The Macaulay duration of a bond is never longer than its time to maturity. For zero-coupon bonds it is equal to the time to maturity and for coupon-bearing bonds it is less. The higher the coupon rate relative to the face value of the bond, the shorter the Macaulay duration since the earlier payments contribute a larger portion of the bond's value, or in other words, more of the dollars, relative to the initial investment, are returned sooner.

***The purpose of including gold is that it gives your portfolio a much better risk-adjusted return - see Permanent Portfolio - Early Retirement Extreme Wiki .

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There you go, your road to Rome has the sights you are comfortable with and the right speed limit. That is the critical thing. You are there. Pity the 25 year old who still is learning to drive and has a broken down car. Lots of time still to get there but.........
I have a 27 yr old who doesn't have a clue but at least she asked me. She is putting aside some of her income into mixed allocation 401k funds. I gave her my best advice: pursue your career, enjoy life, keep contributing and leave it alone.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,179,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Undiversified = you could lose your shirt!

Reasonable, but not optimal. You can get the benefit of rebalancing without keeping that much unemployed cash (see Bogleheads • View topic - Hyper-rebalancing? .)

50% bonds is too much to have when long-term rates are at or near all-time lows!**

I'd say some mix of small capitalization, total market, real estate*, international, gold ETF's***, and some bonds. Try to find mutual funds with low expense ratios and always remember not to hold high-turnover mutual funds in taxable accounts!

*as in, actual properties, not REIT's. REIT's are overvalued right now by all reasonable metrics. Find a cheap house or apt. and buy it with cash. The absence of a mortgage can be viewed as a "virtual bond" allocation. The advantage of the "no-mortgage" investment over a true bond allocation is, first, that mortgage rates usually exceed Treasury rates, and second, that it is fully hedged - you have zero risk of bonds being unable to pay your mortgage installments. In return for this hedging, you must give up some liquidity. For this reason you should also have some true bonds as well, even if it means you must have a somewhat cheaper property than otherwise.

**Long-term bonds with a high Macaulay duration are highly prone to losing value as rates rise. The Macaulay duration of a bond is never longer than its time to maturity. For zero-coupon bonds it is equal to the time to maturity and for coupon-bearing bonds it is less. The higher the coupon rate relative to the face value of the bond, the shorter the Macaulay duration since the earlier payments contribute a larger portion of the bond's value, or in other words, more of the dollars, relative to the initial investment, are returned sooner.

***The purpose of including gold is that it gives your portfolio a much better risk-adjusted return - see Permanent Portfolio - Early Retirement Extreme Wiki .
Thanks that's a nice post! Some food for thought here.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:00 AM

you have those who have been saying avoid bonds with rates these low for years now.

with bond funds up almost 8% ytd in the intermediate term and 20% ytd on the longer end i see no reason not to have not been 50% or more in bonds at this point.,

in fact i am about 60% . the capital appreciation on them has been very good despite rates being this low. that does not mean i won't change if the big picture does which is why i say buy and die may be no longer the best way to go.

there is little pressure on bond rates taking a hit at least in the near term and there is still more room for capital appreciation if stocks take a hit.

i am not saying buy bonds instead of stock but i am saying if your allocation calls for it then do it.
if rates and inflation pick up and bond funds start to fall i would likely go inflation-proof securities -reit income-floating rate high yield -commodities with the bond budget.

avoiding bonds with money you want to keep at lower risk is not the answer at this point in my opinion.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-27-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
I do not see bond yields of 8% from any of my funds.

I know you have some Fidelity so I checked results for my Fidelity Total Bond Fund (FTBFX). Performance is 5.7% YTD and 4.6% 1 Yr.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 AM

total return, not yield. my fidelity bond funds are up around 8% ytd. my fidelity corporate bond fund is up 7.77% ytd fcbfx. TLT LONG TERM TREASURY BOND FUND IS UP ABOUT 20% YTD. fidelity new market income is up 8.50% ytd. most of the intermediate investment grade range are up about 5.50- 6% ytd.

actually for someone who wanted to avoid stocks altogether they would have done okay with an etf portfolio like below and still may do fine for the next few years. even better if stocks take a hit..

25% iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG) (Tracks a broad index of high-quality U.S. bonds)

25% iShares iboxx $ Investment Grade Corporate (LQD) (Tracks an index of the most liquid, long-term corporate bonds)

10% Fidelity Floating Rate High Income (FFRHX) (Invests in floating rate bank loans that automatically adjusts to rising short-term interest rates. It offers additional inflation hedge)

10% iShares MBS Fixed Income (MBB) (Tracks a broad index mortgage-backed securities)

7.5% SPDR DB International Govt Inflation-Protected Bond (WIP) (Invests in an index of non-U.S., inflation-linked bonds)

7.5% PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt (PCY) (Tracks an index of emerging markets government debt)

7.5% iShares Barclays TIPS Bond (TIP) (Tracks an index of inflation-protected, U.S. Treasury securities)

7.5% iShares Iboxx $ High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) (Tracks an index of high yield bonds)

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-27-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing