Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,518 times

Advertisements

Why? Why is it so difficult to make money via the investment route. Spoke with my Edward Jones guy
today. The market swings leaves nobody untouched!! Last week it seemed either little activity then
today a break even 161 jump still not compensating losses? You either need to do hourly homework
or perhaps daily charting of options, but it takes tenaciousness and time! Back in the day I had American Funds, Templeton, and Fidelity products all doing 10--15 % plus a variable insurance that did 35% return paying off principle and when I cashed it in a downpayment on a condo!!! This is the Shemitah jubilee year as was the year of the big crash in 1929 . Using Shemitah cycles is another mapping many don't get including leaders in finance.

Last edited by openmike; 04-12-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
Not sure what you are talking about - annual gains? Any investment paying 35% return for a year is very unusual, so if you are expecting that year in and year out, you are dreaming. Most of the market is up ~10% over the last 3 months, so not sure why you are complaining.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
up is a relative term . less bad doesn't mean good . yeah we are not down 15% but up 1% ain't good either .

as a new retiree , spending down now , last year my portfolio was up 1% and so far this year up 1% . that is not good when spending down . for a new retiree you are burning principal with these returns right out of the gate . so far it is an awful way to start out .

yeah , it could have been worse but when spending down if you are burning capital day 1 it is akin to a trader having a string of losing trades .

hopefully things will p/u and at least support a 4% draw rate .

Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
up is a relative term . less bad doesn't mean good . yeah we are not down 15% but up 1% ain't good either .

as a new retiree , spending down now , last year my portfolio was up 1% and so far this year up 1% . that is not good when spending down . for a new retiree you are burning principal with these returns right out of the gate . so far it is an awful way to start out .

yeah , it could have been worse but when spending down if you are burning capital day 1 it is akin to a trader having a string of losing trades .

hopefully things will p/u and at least support a 4% draw rate .

This is why you shouldn't have sold your real estate.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:33 PM

i can't spend the living room . the rent' s alone miss the mark of what we need by a mile .

Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Not sure what you are talking about - annual gains? Any investment paying 35% return for a year is very unusual, so if you are expecting that year in and year out, you are dreaming. Most of the market is up ~10% over the last 3 months, so not sure why you are complaining.
Wrong. The SP500 is up 1.03% YTD. The only major market sector that is up over 10%+ year to date is utilities. Barlclay's aggregate bond index is up somewhat over 3% during the same time frame.

What do you think "most of the market" is? And do you always measure everything from the most recent bottom to today's prices? If so - why? Especially if you don't trade at all. I trade - and what I look at is my gain or loss from the time I entered a position.

FWIW - I don't think the markets are particularly good. But I don't think they're particularly terrible either. Have seen much worse. Robyn

Old 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM

markets only are good or bad to you as robynn said . looking at index's , the past or any other benchmark means nothing if it isn't your money getting that .

being part of the great bull market of the 1980's and 1990's mean nothing if only a small part of your money was in it no matter how it beefed up returns in that period .

Old 04-12-2016, 05:42 PM

2,275 posts, read 3,076,301 times
Saying if the market is up 1% or 10% is meaningless if you aren't comparing the net gain/loss to inflation. So what if you're up 10% YOY if inflation was also up 10%? If you're up 15% and inflation was only 1% then that's saying something!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 PM

That is the problem money has seen since 2000 .any money invested up to that point has grown beyond that point by only 1.80% in real return as a yearly average.

If you added new money since you did okay but anything older not so good.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 PM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times
It's hard to make money in the markets lately because of volatility and destabilized worldwide markets and their affect on U.S. markets. And when people get scared they tend to sell and people react to uncertainty. It's not always rational. That said, there are people who make money in any market, be it bull or bear or some combo. There's no one path to making money in investments, there are many paths, and that too makes it difficult. If there was one recipe that worked 100% of the time we'd all just follow it (or at least I would).

No one wants to deal with the fact that making enough to retire might take 30 to 40 years and that's with diligence to the task. But the folks who tend to do okay are the ones who keep building their nest egg slowly over decades. It's more rare that someone makes all their retirement monies in the span of 15 years. It happens for sure, but that's not the norm.

Diversify and keep saving as much as you can for as long as you can. Take some risk in your investments and prepare yourself mentally to ride out the roller coaster that always happens from time to time. That's the advice all the experts agree on. Don't put all your eggs in one basket or investment unless you're willing to risk it all. Risk isn't bad, and some of it is necessary to get the upside. Diligence and a commitment to 'paying yourself first' are good foundational behaviors that will serve you well.

You can't control the markets but you can strap yourself in tightly and be willing to participate over the course of a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing