Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The "really long-term perspective" is actually the worst for individual stocks. All of the "hot" stocks of today will inevitably lose most of their current value in the long term. And they will never return to their historical highs. We know this will happen because this pattern has repeated throughout history.

That is where an index fund has the greatest advantage over individual stocks. They continue to go higher over the long term even after the worst market declines.
I guess my question would be what if you are buying individual stocks but they are not the hot stocks of today? After all, there is a whole universe of available stocks out there. I sold some stock last week and redeployed the proceeds into six new positions and I can pretty much guarantee that none of them are hot stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Traveling View Post
My brother does not believe in Mutual Funds or ETF's. All of his investments are in individual stocks. He spends hours and hours and hours reviewing the stocks and doing all kinds of complex analysis before selecting a portfolio. 99% of his stocks are mid and small cap.

He kept telling me he could beat the professionals who devote their lives to picking stocks and have a team of people and computers to help them decide what stocks to buy and sell.

For years I asked him to give me his portfolio so I could compare it against the index fund of mid and small cap stocks. Finally, he gave it to me and I found out that the hundreds of hours of research was a waste of time because his great portfolio was 20% below the index of small and mid cap stocks based on the date he purchased his stocks and money invested.

I suspect that my brother is similar to lots of investors who prefer to pick their own stocks, instead of index funds or respected mutual fund managers.
He is probably outperforming the average investor in mutual funds if his performance is 80% that of an index of small and medium capitalization stocks.

average fund investor experiences low returns

He is taking on more risk. No info on whether he has bonds as well.

He's probably also sold out some of the stocks as well.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM

37 posts, read 33,664 times
If you buy and hold the companies of the products/services you use all the time you will probably do quite well. I bet many people use Apple products, and use Facebook, Google, Netflix and Amazon nearly everyday. If you bought and hold these you would be doing great. These would be offset recently by any retail store you owned that you may use alot, as these are massively underperforming, but stronger names like Walmart, Kroger, etc. will probably come back nicely over a 3-5 year period. Buy and hold what you know and use all the time and you will do well.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
most of us drove gm cars , used kodak film, bought our daily goods from sears , rented movies from blockbuster and made xerox copies every day.

the problem with individual stocks is it involves not only knowing your own stocks well but you need to know what the competitors have on their drawing boards

Old 06-13-2017, 10:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
any stock pickers post their historical performance?

i am pretty much all index funds right now and have a 1 year performance of 18.15%.

My brother has added some index funds thanks to my recommendation but still has a lot of individual stocks. his one year is 13 something%.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 AM

270 posts, read 203,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Traveling View Post
To those who do better than the S&P 500 index year after year in your own stock picking, why don't you open a mutual fund? If you can do better than 90% of the mutual fund managers of mutual funds who don't beat the index, with all their expertise and resources, you are in the wrong line of work.
lol I don't think these people are actually beating the market. They are just not accurately accounting for their loses or their gains. There are index fund with 16% YTD ROI. lol I just don't think most people are beating that by picking stocks after all the costs are added up

Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

i am pretty much all index funds right now and have a 1 year performance of 18.15%.

My brother has added some index funds thanks to my recommendation but still has a lot of individual stocks. his one year is 13 something%.
Saying you are all index funds with 18% one year return isn't actually saying much. It's like saying I have stocks and have a 30% return, it means relatively nothing to compare at such a high level of detail

Old 06-13-2017, 10:49 AM

i started transitioning to index etf's about 2 years ago and have been almost all index etf's for the past 1 year 2 months.

prior to that, i spent about 4 years using fidelity insight newsletter portfolios made up of fidelity actively managed mutual funds.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Saying you are all index funds with 18% one year return isn't actually saying much. It's like saying I have stocks and have a 30% return, it means relatively nothing to compare at such a high level of detail
i know it isnt saying a lot but i thought it was sufficient given the high level nature of the topic. i am talking about the return of my entire portfolio (which is basically index etf's and a small cash position), not just a portion of it.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 AM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

What index funds are you in right now that you are getting 18.15% for 1 year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing