Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 AM

387 posts, read 358,211 times

Advertisements

Schwab gave me a hard when I was opening my account. I registered but was locked out of doing anything. I called to ask why and they said they needed time to confirm my identity. I got mailed a letter through the post asking for ID to verify my identity, which is fine. But after I sent it to them through their website, as I was given the option for, they didn’t respond. I had to call them again and then there was more processing time after that. Altogether it took almost a month just to start investing through them. Also, they charge high fees for anything non-Schwab and their Schwab offerings are pretty mediocre performance wise.

Vanguard looks more appealing and appears to have better funds. But is it worth transferring? Will I get taxed a lot in the process?

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
many investments could be transferred but you have to check .personally i would never trade schwab for vanguard . but that's me . personally i experienced the worst customer service from them out of anyone i ever dealt with .

Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
You will not be taxed at all as long as you do it Trustee to Trustee. Be very careful of distribution by check as you are only allowed to do that once per year without being taxed. Vanguard can guide you through the process.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:14 AM

581 posts, read 615,059 times
I am in the process of moving my brokerage account from Scottrade to Fidelity, as Scottrade is being absorbed by TD Ameritrade. I found setting up the account transfer from Fidelity's website to be very easy, they even have a transfer status page where you can follow the transition... I ultimately chose Fidelity (I have accounts with VG already) because of the lower trading fees ($4.95 vs $6.95 fro TD) and to simplify our accounts as my wife already has all of her stuff with Fidelity. Their research tools have been impressive so far as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 AM

whether or not the assets can be transferred depends what they are though . in any case they won't be taxed but not everything can be transferred unless converted to cash first . you have to sell and rebuy something else sometimes as the funds you own just may not be allowed to be transferred directly .

i had that with vanguard when i wanted to move my vanguard s&p 500 admiral share mutual fund to fidelity .

in that case i had to convert vfiax to a like kind etf voo and then do an acat transfer .

Old 01-11-2018, 09:20 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
I am in the process of moving my brokerage account from Scottrade to Fidelity, as Scottrade is being absorbed by TD Ameritrade. I found setting up the account transfer from Fidelity's website to be very easy, they even have a transfer status page where you can follow the transition... I ultimately chose Fidelity (I have accounts with VG already) because of the lower trading fees ($4.95 vs $6.95 fro TD) and to simplify our accounts as my wife already has all of her stuff with Fidelity. Their research tools have been impressive so far as well.
Most B/D's will have some sort of feature now to track your ACAT status. If you're transferring b/c of trading fee's I would contact Schwab, let them know specifically you have a Scottrade account, and how long you've had it. Ask for the active trading desks, they'll (regular broker line) know where to get you.

You're welcome.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM

581 posts, read 615,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Most B/D's will have some sort of feature now to track your ACAT status. If you're transferring b/c of trading fee's I would contact Schwab, let them know specifically you have a Scottrade account, and how long you've had it. Ask for the active trading desks, they'll (regular broker line) know where to get you.

You're welcome.
I already looked into Schwab pretty extensively, but there was nothing to me that positively differentiated it from Fidelity (for my needs), plus, like I said previously, my wife already had all her investments at Fidelity, as well as our childrens 529's...

I believe Schwab's trading fees are identical to Fidelity's ($4.95). Not that I am an active trader, I just make periodic purchases of things I plan to hold onto long term.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:41 PM

while i do 90% of my business with fidelity , i did move the 10% i had at vanguard over to chase . i took advantage of a chase private client account and the chase sapphire reserve card for an almost 2k in perks .

Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
I already looked into Schwab pretty extensively, but there was nothing to me that positively differentiated it from Fidelity (for my needs), plus, like I said previously, my wife already had all her investments at Fidelity, as well as our childrens 529's...

I believe Schwab's trading fees are identical to Fidelity's ($4.95). Not that I am an active trader, I just make periodic purchases of things I plan to hold onto long term.
Are you sure you talked to their trade desk? Tell them you had an account from Scottrade? Their stated trade fee's are $4.95 (same as Fido's), but there is an offer there you need to ask them about even if you're a buy & hold guy.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:48 PM

107 posts, read 105,986 times
I did transfer from Scottrade to Fidelity. I transferred cash to cash, but I was charged $75. I still don't know who charged me and what for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing