Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

If I knew something was going to get delisted in the first place I never would of bought it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Most Crypto investors are smart investors. They are aware of the extreme risks of buying Bitcoin and only invest what they can afford to lose. At least that is how I treated it. Everyone is different, but my max risk tolerance was about $10k. If I lose it all, it will not affect my life substantially and I could make it back very quickly. For me, it was worth risking that amount to achieve possible 500% or greater returns.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Most Crypto investors are smart investors. They are aware of the extreme risks of buying Bitcoin and only invest what they can afford to lose. At least that is how I treated it. Everyone is different, but my max risk tolerance was about $10k. If I lose it all, it will not affect my life substantially and I could make it back very quickly. For me, it was worth risking that amount to achieve possible 500% or greater returns.
Yeah one needs to take a calculated risk .

Unless you start with a lot of money you aren't going to make very much in "safe" investments . Those investments also aren't always safe too as we've seen from the financial crisis , Enron , etc etc

This will be a multi trillion dollar market this year but if people want to ignore that and say it's tulips that's fine.

I'd actually prefer that and wait to sell to them when CNBC and fortune magazine tells them to buy .

Old 01-21-2018, 12:29 PM

199 posts, read 165,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
People don't invest in cryptocurrencies. They gamble on them.

Smart investors are not stupid enough to put real money in cryptocurrencies.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
People don't invest in cryptocurrencies. They gamble on them.

Smart investors are not stupid enough to put real money in cryptocurrencies.
You don't think someone that invested in cryptocurrencies even a year ago made a good return and real money?

I guess all the people that made 10x-100x ( or more ) returns are all stupid ..

Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM

199 posts, read 165,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You don't think someone that invested in cryptocurrencies even a year ago made a good return and real money?

I guess all the people that made 10x-100x ( or more ) returns are all stupid ..
They were lucky. It's like winning money when playing the lottery.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The company recommended people sell too plus the value did plummet .

Why are you defending such practices ?

I'm sure you wouldn't say the same if it happened to you .

My point is it's stuff like that which makes people not trust the stock market .
I wouldn’t say the same if it happened to me because I wouldn’t lie about it like you did. I’d also never buy an exchange trade note without reading the prospectus, which clearly you did and that entirely foolish. You weren’t forced to sell, you could have held the security for another decade and change but you made the choice to sell. You also bought a product that was to mimic 3x leverage so I don’t tell bad there either especially since you didn’t bother to read the outline of what the product was. This isn’t about trusting the stock market it actually has nothing to do with the stock market. You bought something in which you were totally blind to what it actually was, not because someone lied but because you were too lazy to read. You then lied about the result so again this is nothing to do with the market

Old 01-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I wouldn’t say the same if it happened to me because I wouldn’t lie about it like you did. I’d also never buy an exchange trade note without reading the prospectus, which clearly you did and that entirely foolish. You weren’t forced to sell, you could have held the security for another decade and change but you made the choice to sell. You also bought a product that was to mimic 3x leverage so I don’t tell bad there either especially since you didn’t bother to read the outline of what the product was. This isn’t about trusting the stock market it actually has nothing to do with the stock market. You bought something in which you were totally blind to what it actually was, not because someone lied but because you were too lazy to read. You then lied about the result so again this is nothing to do with the market
I didn't lie about it . I guess the people that got screwed by Enron and Madoff also didn't "read the prospectus"

Old 01-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
They were lucky. It's like winning money when playing the lottery.
Well I made 400% on one and could of sold for 700% but just holding since it was a small investment .
I'd say the odds are a lot better than the lotto

Couldn't you say the same for anyone that bought a stock that went up huge. Stocks like Amazon, Apple etc ?

"They just got lucky"

Old 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM

1,022 posts, read 740,244 times
I own some cryptos. Not a lot, but some, going on the 'why not' theory. Like anything else, some are doing good, some aren't. Plan to buy more soon.

I've been doing a lot of studying and last night got pretty deep involved (for me at least). Woke up this morning and had a flashback to a time when our son was still in grade school. Could not keep him away from his Yu-Gi-Oh cards. They came 1st in his life even before food. Would clutch them hard, speak of their individual value and covet special ones to trade, even for goods (as a child it was candy and video games).

They even had funny sounding names, you probably heard some of them. I got this funny feeling about crypto as nothing more than Yu-Gi-Oh cards or trading baseball cards.

But wouldn't mind owning a pristine Honus Wagner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing