Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

as we go lower the machines still have to unwind more leverage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as we go lower the machines still have to unwind more leverage
They & institutional are the one's buying right now. They're hedging and offsetting so they don't HAVE to sell more.

Will there be some more selling, yes but not programmed. It will be selected, there will be volatility, but it's just outside of normal active markets ala pre-2007. This market volatility is great (well maybe not as much the big swings), but movement and selected/targeted allocations to actually find good value positions. Not having to search for yield and riskier assets and EM's, which used to be the prime location for Alt-A or junk equities.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i stopped going by any point in time except the end of the day .we have had 300 point opens evaporate and end up down hundreds . i wish i could get excited at the futures but i can't .
You just can't tell.. Remember that on election night futures were down 700 points.

Market wound up being up 300+ points.

Honestly.. Today seems less volatile than I was expecting, though it's only 11am.

5 minutes ago it was up 15, now it's up 75. But, that's only something like .3 percent. We're not seeing wild swings of 500 points like I was kind of expecting.. But, the day is young. While it seems to be just hanging out at a point of no real change.. If a trend in either direction starts, a 'pile on' could start.

I'm not going to be surprised by anything under 1000 points in either direction today.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Those who ignore what the market is doing and just continue investing on a schedule and stop trying to time the market will do fine over a period of time, as long as they have monies for shorter term needs and up to a couple years for those longer in the tooth, and a maintained emergency fund.

Those who prognosticate and think themselves wise seers into the future will guess right once in awhile and will get bit in the ass a bunch too.

It's interesting to see how people really behave when they're facing their own uncertainty, which is often contrary to what is preached. Follow fundamentals: don't fall for the B.S. pedaled on Internet forums, the emperor still has no clothes, concentrate on practicing good investing behavior which is something that will serve you well in any market, and if you need emotional reinforcement, read the wise words of real financial experts (Peter Lynch, Warren Buffet, Jack Bogle, etc).
Big fan of both Lynch & Buffett -- but neither one of those guys would advise you keep buying at any level.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The big question about this correction is - Where did all the money go?

I didn’t see any flight to safety.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:38 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Supply and Demand drive prices.

If there is no demand at current prices, price goes down. Money disappears.

This is what people want though, right????

Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Supply and Demand drive prices.

If there is no demand at current prices, price goes down. Money disappears.

This is what people want though, right????
But my understanding is that there are only a certain amount of shares. If that's true, then people (lots of people) would be dumping their shares. That money has to be somewhere...

Old 02-09-2018, 10:07 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Here's a snapshot of today.

http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2...moneyflow.html

Old 02-09-2018, 10:09 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Time to cut losses and bail?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Time to put a hedge in place.
Could be cash.
Could be government bonds.
Could be inverse moving tickers.

But do something for Pete's sake -- the obvious direction of the market is down for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing