Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What strategy would you use to invest $100k?
DCA into the market at fixed intervals 2 13.33%
DCA into the market but try to time the pullbacks 6 40.00%
Invest the whole thing right now 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

There seems to be so many divergent views on this that I decided to make a poll to all the investors in here. If you had $100k to invest what exactly would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 03:12 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i always would put it in one shot if i had a choice .

if dca was producing better results we would all hit our allocations we wanted , sell everything and start from zero again . you can see that would be silly since markets are up 2/3's of the time and down only 1/3 .

"In reality, a dollar cost averaging investment strategy doesn’t actually enhance returns in volatile markets that have similar upside gains and downside losses on a percentage basis. And given that on average, markets go up more often than they go down, choosing to dollar cost average is more likely to just leave gains on the table (and the longer the time period, the greater the risk of foregone returns)."

as kitces points out :

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Conventional investment wisdom suggests that dollar cost averaging is a good approach to allocating investment dollars over time. By always investing a constant dollar amount, the strategy ensures that fewer shares will be bought as prices rise, while more shares are purchased if prices decline, bringing down the average cost per share in the long run. The only question is over what time horizon it’s best to average in.

Yet as it turns out, the answer is “none”. In reality, a dollar cost averaging investment strategy doesn’t actually enhance returns in volatile markets that have similar upside gains and downside losses on a percentage basis. And given that on average, markets go up more often than they go down, choosing to dollar cost average is more likely to just leave gains on the table (and the longer the time period, the greater the risk of foregone returns).

However, while dollar cost averaging may not be likely to enhance returns in the long run, it is still a risk management technique. Over the dollar cost averaging time period itself, the diversification of the “new” investment and “old” investment may actually produce superior risk-adjusted returns. And given that the pain of losses is more severe than the joy of gains, risk-averse investors may prefer to dollar cost average simply to minimize the potential regret of not doing so and seeing markets decline shortly thereafter.

Nonetheless, for investors who are comfortable with the risk of their portfolios, and aren’t specifically seeking a “regret aversion” (or at least, regret minimization) strategy, in the long run the best time horizon for dollar cost averaging is simply to invest all the money immediately – at least, presuming the investment was desirable to own in the first place!

https://www.kitces.com/blog/dollar-c...duces-returns/

Old 03-02-2018, 04:06 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
There seems to be so many divergent views on this that I decided to make a poll to all the investors in here. If you had $100k to invest what exactly would you do?
I'd put it all in now...certainly not stretch it more than a couple months if you really can't convince yourself to jump. You're likely to lose more the time you're out than the bit you invest when it's just a little higher. I might temper that if you're going to invest it all in a single company but I wouldn't advise doing anything that isn't diversified, anyway.

DCA is great if you don't have a lump sum...but if you do then put it to work for you...NOW. This makes even more sense the longer you'll be in the market (more time to make up anything invested "high"), and I'm assuming this is a longer term investment else you'd not even consider the market - anything less than at least a few years should go into something safer.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Invest it all at one.

The entire concept of Dollar Cost Averaging is for the situations where a person does not have a large amount to invest, so they invest smaller amounts on fixed intervals over time.

Now if the situation was one where an individual is receiving a guaranteed $100k, but receiving it as $10K for year over a period of ten years, my answer might fall into the category of DCA as I would invest the entire $10K each year rather than waiting for the full amount to be received.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times
There are as many answers to that question as there are stars in the sky. But the bottom line here and I didn't read any answers at all before I wrote this. But my answer is the only one that is right. If you have 100k in cash right now just in your hands I am wondering what is going on in your mind. Unless you use $100 bills to light your cigars you have to have that money in the market now no matter how old you are. If you are 25 and have a job or if you are 60 and a few years away from retirement. It needs to continue to work for you.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:49 AM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
For bond funds I lump sum or few lump sums, for equity I do it in installment but not on fixed time intervals, depends on when I have time to think about it and the market situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing