Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 07:14 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times

Advertisements

I am still positive for the market, I guess so are some others.
Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/27/its-...r-analyst.html
Despite volatility it's still a bull market, and stocks will go even higher: Analyst
Even as tech stocks tank, the market remains bullish, says Steve Chiavarone, vice president and portfolio manager at Federated Investors.
"We're about to enter not just a good earnings season, but the best since 2011," he says.
Tax reform, deregulation and repatriation will continue to push the market upward, he says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 07:19 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it really depends on personal situation . generally you want to let the equities grow and spend the bonds first .

but if equities are the portion that went up the most then that is what would get sold to rebalance .
I have been chewing on the same issue. In the past I have been pulling income evenly from all of my allocations. Now that the market has gone or is going through a correction, it seems reasonable to pull more or entirely from my fixed allocations. On the other hand, I want to slowly decrease my stock allocations. I am 10% higher than I would like and want to even further reduce that allocation at the rate of about 10% every 5 years.

It seems there is a principle that needs to be considered. Most of us lose money when we try to react or to time the markets. As much as we dislike any sort of correction, volatility should be expected and ignored for the long term. I am continuing to pull evenly from all accounts and I am continuing to rebalance to a lower stock allocation.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:22 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
We often talk about bulls and bears. I talk about a herd of bovine idiots. The herd could move in any direction at any time. A stampede could start at any time.

The sad part is that these bovine idiots are being paid huge salaries and bonuses to "manage" our investments.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
I just want to point out that the source you used might have a vested interest in people staying in the market

Am I selling today? Or yesterday?
No
But we get so much advice from those whose business is made by people IN the market---buying, selling, holding--that I am cynical about the unbiased (certainly not "fiduciary") aspect of the opinions given

Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Looks like it's breaking down again. It was a fun ride!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
LOL...so a guy who NEEDS you to be in the market is optimistic...whoopee.

That said earnings are good and I think a run up comes soon...

Old 03-28-2018, 08:49 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just want to point out that the source you used might have a vested interest in people staying in the market

Am I selling today? Or yesterday?
No
But we get so much advice from those whose business is made by people IN the market---buying, selling, holding--that I am cynical about the unbiased (certainly not "fiduciary") aspect of the opinions given
Yep Enron was probably rated a BUY from wall street up until the day they filed BK
I don't believe a word these analysts say -- I'll rely on myself

Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This is well worth remembering. Lots of well-regarded 'experts' commenting for their own personal reasons.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:06 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
So funny that people think they know where the market is going..

Old 03-28-2018, 08:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
So funny that people think they know where the market is going..
I do not know where it is headed, I am just a positive person, so I am not a crybaby like some on here, maybe because I am not a snowflake, I take my medicine and accept it because I know it is no ones fault but mine and any loses are based on how I set up my investments, too bad others always have to blame everyone but themselves for their own greed, had they been more conservative in their investments then they might not have taken such a hit, to have to cry like a child on here and blame our president, like he was the one who took their money and invested it for them.

I set up my retirement so I can live without the market going up, maybe some of the crybabies need to think about how they are invested, I am about 50/50 nowadays, I was 60/40 before I saw the writing on the wall and changed my allocation just about when all this mess started, so I am still up quite a bit since getting into the market heavily years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing