Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 01:28 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Another auto-investing day and the market is down thus far... I noticed this year a lot more of the auto-investing has managed to land on down days, which is not mysterious given there's been a lot more down days.
well; stop investing , it's your fault when we fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You are correct, but you're not going to convince him.
it isn't just tightening my figures referred to , it is tightening more than 1% in a year . the debate here was what happens when the fed keeps tightening as in the statement bond yields will go up and bonds will lose money which you hear a lot from the predictors .

when you track the total returns over all but 1 full tightening cycle they are still very good and even that 1 did fine . .bond funds even with tightening cycles have had very few losing years as the good years pay for the bad .

from larry swedroe

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-20-2018 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 PM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well; stop investing , it's your fault when we fall
I just added a couple other orders today too.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
looks like the whole Syria thing was a PR stunt and nothing more. Trump has said mission accomplished without doing anything much but the markets like those words so the futures are rallying. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump conned everyone by telling Russia beforehand that he was going to send missiles to some predetermined location and to clear that area so that the public can be fooled that he is actively countering Russia when he in fact is colluding with them.
looks like I was mostly right Nothing but a bunch of cons... so now our military advice comes from Russia as well? LOL!

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-we...-bomb-11338625

Old 04-20-2018, 02:57 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it isn't just tightening my figures referred to , it is tightening more than 1% in a year . the debate here was what happens when the fed keeps tightening as in the statement bond yields will go up and bonds will lose money which you hear a lot from the predictors .

when you track the total returns over all but 1 full tightening cycle they are still very good and even that 1 did fine . .bond funds even with tightening cycles have had very few losing years as the good years pay for the bad .

from larry swedroe
This is relative to an intermediate-term index. The longer the maturity, the more the bond price will fall as rates increase.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:00 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Just to be clear, I'm not terribly bearish on bonds, and haven't made any adjustments to my bond funds. Keep in mind, however, I'm a horrible predictor of interest rates :O)

Now, a couple of comments with respect to Swedroe's numbers. First of all, that Barclays index is a little baby kitten, with an average maturity of about four years. Second, keep in mind that the time period starting in 1981 entailed a massive secular decline in interest rates. Any time the rate increases stopped, yields promptly returned onto that downward trend.

Just take the 1984 year as an example. Tightening had started already in the prior year, and the 10-year yield had already gone up about 150 basis points before the new year 1984 was rung in. Yields peaked in May, and re-started their downward trend in the summer. By year's end the yield was just slightly less than at the beginning of 1984. So really, that calendar year does not show the period of rising rates at all. If by chance our year started in May, that table would look very different for 1984.

One way to look at all this, of course, is with a "this too shall pass" attitude. I don't disagree with that, but with the caveat that we must all recognize this time we started from the cellar. The 10-year bottomed out at 1.37%. There is precious little additional decline in rates available to sooth the pain this time. In addition, today's much smaller yields means that the healing process will be slower and take longer than in the past.

Last edited by hikernut; 04-20-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 PM

keep in mind a total bond fund like fidelity ftbfx is only 5.50 years today in duration . i think GBF is the equal in the above which has a duration of 6.46 years .

gbf= The investment seeks to track the investment results of the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. government/Credit Bond Index

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-20-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not terribly bearish on bonds, and haven't made any adjustments to my bond funds. Keep in mind, however, I'm a horrible predictor of interest rates :O)

Now, a couple of comments with respect to Swedroe's numbers. First of all, that Barclays index is a little baby kitten, with an average maturity of about four years. Second, keep in mind that the time period starting in 1981 entailed a massive secular decline in interest rates. Any time the rate increases stopped, yields promptly returned onto that downward trend.

Just take the 1984 year as an example. Tightening had started already in the prior year, and the 10-year yield had already gone up about 150 basis points before the new year 1984 was rung in. Yields peaked in May, and re-started their downward trend in the summer. By year's end the yield was just slightly less than at the beginning of 1984. So really, that calendar year does not show the period of rising rates at all. If by chance our year started in May, that table would look very different for 1984.

One way to look at all this, of course, is with a "this too shall pass" attitude. I don't disagree with that, but with the caveat that we must all recognize this time we started from the cellar. The 10-year bottomed out at 1.37%. There is precious little additional decline in rates available to sooth the pain this time. In addition, today's much smaller yields means that the healing process will be slower and take longer than in the past.
Completely agree! Very well said.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I just added a couple other orders today too.
Maybe buy some aapl

You can have some of mine

Lost $1200 on paper today....thank you aapl for not making your numbers

Old 04-20-2018, 03:46 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Maybe buy some aapl

You can have some of mine

Lost $1200 on paper today....thank you aapl for not making your numbers

The writing has been on the wall for years with more expensive iphones and hardly any new features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing