Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 09:50 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times

Advertisements

Trump is just doing what he feels like. Unfortunately, it's turning out bad for us. Goods are already expensive in the US. I get the elementary reasoning for the tariffs, but he didn't think this out too well. It's like a kid throwing a tantrum. I don't have what I want, so I'm going to do something extreme to get what I want without thinking about the repercussions or whether or not it'll actually achieve what the aim is. Short sighted.

If tariffs do go through, a lot of what I buy as a consumer is going to go up unnecessarily. I don't have an issue with Chinese made stuff. So what if China benefits from cheaper goods, a lot of countries have had that limelight throughout time. It's not going to bring back manufacturing jobs or w/e by purposely crashing the economy.

This morning I got a day trade call on my Roth. I actually made a good bit of money on the trade. However, because of agent orange down in DC, my portfolio is down below $25k (I'm young and it's a Roth account). Just lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,213,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can’t say it’s not something to be worried about as you can’t guarantee what happened with Boeing will happen with amazon. It’s also doesn’t take away from the irresponsible nature of the tweeting
Yes, him tweeting is ridiculous...and for the record I don't like him....my comment about Boeing was in response to the other poster saying that "trump tweeting about amazon" could lead us to a bear market....and no..I'm not worried about him tweeting about amazon...just like i don't make any other investment decisions based on his tweets!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
His tweeting will be a concern for at least the next 2 yrs, 7 months, the remaining length of this term. Unfortunately, people don't ignore what he says, and he happens to enjoy chaos and flip flopping. You may think that's a fine way to govern a country, but simply put, it's not.
it's not a fine way to run the country...I agree with that...
what i disagree with is this narrative on this board and on CNBC that his tweeting will have any material long term impact on the stock market...it's noise....just like most of the other headlines people blab about....

Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
it's not a fine way to run the country...I agree with that...
what i disagree with is this narrative on this board and on CNBC that his tweeting will have any material long term impact on the stock market...it's noise....just like most of the other headlines people blab about....
Of course it's not going to have a long-term impact, he'll be voted out of office in 2.5 years..gonna be interesting to see the next President undo all he's screwed up.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Well Kudlow came out and poured oil on the water---
Said the tariffs might not be imposed
So maybe this is just Trump's "art of the deal"
Negotiating from a position of "strength" or "talking tough"
Take your pick
Personally I prefer Teddy R's motto: "walk softly and carry a big stick"
Which implies restraint and implied power...

Old 04-04-2018, 11:02 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
The market is back to almost 24000. The hysteria has calmed.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Reminder - If you react emotionally to market movement, you’re jeopardizing your future.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM

18,103 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Hysteria isn't a 1% to 2.7% drop. Hysteria is more like a 5% to 10+% drop in one day.

But it can't be known if or when such a thing will occur, although that doesn't seem to stop people trying to guess what the market will do every day and sometimes every couple of hours within a day.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Better stated the Dow is still off 9.9% since it’s high on 1/26

Old 04-04-2018, 11:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
there are people who were not hysterical but were trading like fiends to make money
You could almost think there was a calculated attempt to induce some panic so the remora could feed...

And if the "hysteria" has calmed it is just in response to the idea that Kudlow floated that the tariffs "might not be imposed"...
Ergo if/when there are some stringent tariffs imposed or threatened, back we go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing