Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 04:40 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

Carter Worth - today- says lower by year-end.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/10/2...Carter%20Worth

He also said we'd have to be perfect to say where we are right now. So, I guess, for me, this will be a flat year - if I'm lucky. I also heard today CEO confidence is lower because of tariffs and interest rates. I read somewhere an anatomy of October 2007 - eerily similar to today. While I don't think we're heading for a crash, the similarities in some areas are worrisome. Deficits are the 2000 lb elephant/wild card.

And, then, Kudlow says Chinese are being intractable - so that issue won't be resolved anytime soon.

Trump Admin has certainly written the playbook on how to ruin what isn't broke.

Grrrrr.................

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-22-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 04:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Carter Worth - today- says lower by year-end.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/10/2...Carter%20Worth

He also said we'd have to be perfect to say where we are right now. So, I guess, for me, this will be a flat year - if I'm lucky. I also heard today CEO confidence is lower because of tariffs and interest rates. I read somewhere an anatomy of October 2007 - eerily similar to today. While I don't think we're heading for a crash, the similarities in some areas are worrisome. Deficits are the 2000 lb elephant/wild card.

And, then, Kudlow says Chinese are being intractable - so that issue won't be resolved anytime soon.

Trump Admin has certainly written the playbook on how to ruin what isn't broke.

Grrrrr.................
Actually things were broken under George W Bush and under Barak H. Obama -- plenty broken -- it's why the outsider Trump was voted in to begin with. And Trump has been doing a good job especially considering that the entire establishment and the media has been on his back (and trying to get him out of office) since he got into office. George W did a bad job and Obama was worse than that. Yeah Obama threw a lot of money at the economy in his early years and we didn't go into a depression but when you borrow as much money as he did you sure ought to have something to show for it. Economic growth was bad under Obama, race relations got worse, illegal immigrants ran wild, and he got us into a whole bunch of wars that we had no business being in. So after looking at that record --- Trump's performance looks pretty good to me.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 AM

5,725 posts, read 2,190,327 times
Stocks are cheaper now than on Election Day. Last gdp was 4.2% and Q2 is looking to be north of 3.5%. Earning have exploded and stock prices haven’t kept up. I’m buying here, I just don’t think a recession will hit in the next 2 years, things are still picking up. Industrials are getting very cheap

Old 10-23-2018, 06:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Premarketl Dow down more than 400 at 747 CST
Bad day unless algorhythims decide it is time to buy...

Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Actually things were broken under George W Bush and under Barak H. Obama -- plenty broken -- it's why the outsider Trump was voted in to begin with. And Trump has been doing a good job especially considering that the entire establishment and the media has been on his back (and trying to get him out of office) since he got into office. George W did a bad job and Obama was worse than that. Yeah Obama threw a lot of money at the economy in his early years and we didn't go into a depression but when you borrow as much money as he did you sure ought to have something to show for it. Economic growth was bad under Obama, race relations got worse, illegal immigrants ran wild, and he got us into a whole bunch of wars that we had no business being in. So after looking at that record --- Trump's performance looks pretty good to me.
Kudlow has finally found a listener that believes he is smart
And not the market or the analyst...just Trump and his cabal...

Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I am curious. Many here have posted that they expected a correction. Is this what they were expecting now? Were they going to tine the market and go to cash at the first inkling or just ride it out and keep investing as before ?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:58 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
for me , much ado about nothing . not happy about ever giving back gains but it is what it is .

this is why i want a more defensive model . it does not matter how many up years we have in relation to down years . all that matters is what your balance is when the smoke clears and how long in real return it takes to come back.

markets spend 80% of all their time between the last low and last high .

Old 10-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Put 75K in grandson's 529 account last week--still sitting in a MM type account--not as much flexibility to trade/move money/runds around in his 529 as a regular account--only 2 trading opportunities a year--
It took ONE to just put the money into a hold/wait account--
So we are waiting for market to do down
BONDS I meant to say initially--had to edit it--aren't really seeing the benefit of all this negativity
That is a bad sign IMO but I am no "market analyst"

Proshares ultras hot SQQQ was up more than 5% at 8CST today

Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for me , much ado about nothing . not happy about ever giving back gains but it is what it is .

this is why i want a more defensive model . it does not matter how many up years we have in relation to down years . all that matters is what your balance is when the smoke clears and how long in real return it takes to come back.
however,no one lives forever. when do you cash it all in?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Premarketl Dow down more than 400 at 747 CST
Bad day unless algorhythims decide it is time to buy...
Yep, market will open down today, if Asia and EU are any indication.

AMZN, GOOGL, and V (Visa) are to report earnings after close of market on Thursday. All three have suffered from the October slump. I bet all three will suffer from "buy 'em?" and/or "hold 'em?" decisions by investors between now and close of market on Thursday.

I'm pretty sure everybody will agree that an earnings report can change everything, either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing