Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 12:15 PM

454 posts, read 198,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Wow, you're brave. I unloaded all of my Chinese stocks on Monday.
No!!! Lol. Don’t give up Chinese adr based on that news. 3 years to comply and when there is money there is always a way to work around. You need some Chinese exposure in your portfolio. They will top US eventually, matter of time of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 12:25 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
You can get exposure through US stocks to China. Not like they won’t get as much of the piece of the pie as they can in China.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:38 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Just sold 100 INTC @ $51.04 for almost a $5 gain from my 11/24 purchase.
I somehow forgot to post that buy back on 11/24.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:44 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Taking some $ off of the table with this one. Sold 4000 TGI at 15.08

Sold short 2000 TGI at 15.34

Covered the 2000 TGI at 15.23. Not about to fool around with holding this one overnight just in case some good news comes out after the market closes.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:45 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas YLC View Post
No!!! Lol. Don’t give up Chinese adr based on that news. 3 years to comply and when there is money there is always a way to work around. You need some Chinese exposure in your portfolio. They will top US eventually, matter of time of course.
I don't feel like having my money possibly tied up for 3 years. I'm just going to invest in VWXUS to get foreign exposure. I can always buy back in when things settle.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:48 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
added more hyg

now have 1139 shares at an average cost of 86.40

threw some spare cash in vgsh instead of a money market

1616 shares at 61.97

Old 12-03-2020, 02:59 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
+ LNC @52.42, 52.52
- CODX @10.78, {stupid purchase @11.97 ave}
+OGIG @50.99 {building a position, excess cash}

Old 12-03-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I don't feel like having my money possibly tied up for 3 years. I'm just going to invest in VWXUS to get foreign exposure. I can always buy back in when things settle.
With investing, when things are clear usually the big gains are gone. Not saying this is the case with Chinese ADRs but in general. Like this year, when it was clear or things died down regarding the impact of Covid-19 and lockdowns by may or June of 2020, a good chunk of the recovery gain are gone. Markets usually move a lot faster than one can see clearly. No guts no glory. However no guts and no stomach aches either. Lol.

Just wondering, why do you say your money would be tied up for 3 years? How? You mean Chinese adr like baba, jd.com, body, etc won’t move for the next 3 years or that their stock prices would go down because of the new law? Perhaps not a good assumption. You know delisting means you can still trade them otc right? It’s not like your stocks vanish. There are some decent names trading otc in the us markets like Nintendo. Not much of course. Exposure from US names to China is not the same as Chinese names from China from a stock perspective. Almost all major US companies sell to China. China protects their own companies in China. Is google in China? That’s because they want their own brand, bidu to dominate. They will tell you because google doesn’t want censorship in China. Do you really believe it’s about ethics? Does anyone here believe that China will always be number two to US? They will catch up and their brands of Amazon, google, Facebook, etc will follow similar paths of their US counterparts. They will eventually have a bigger middle class than the US and that is a lot of purchasing power. That’s why I believe everyone needs a decent exposure to Chinese company stocks.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:17 PM

1,768 posts, read 716,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas YLC View Post
With investing, when things are clear usually the big gains are gone. Not saying this is the case with Chinese ADRs but in general. Like this year, when it was clear or things died down regarding the impact of Covid-19 and lockdowns by may or June of 2020, a good chunk of the recovery gain are gone. Markets usually move a lot faster than one can see clearly. No guts no glory. However no guts and no stomach aches either. Lol.

Just wondering, why do you say your money would be tied up for 3 years? How? You mean Chinese adr like baba, jd.com, body, etc won’t move for the next 3 years or that their stock prices would go down because of the new law? Perhaps not a good assumption. You know delisting means you can still trade them otc right? It’s not like your stocks vanish. There are some decent names trading otc in the us markets like Nintendo. Not much of course. Exposure from US names to China is not the same as Chinese names from China from a stock perspective. Almost all major US companies sell to China. China protects their own companies in China. Is google in China? That’s because they want their own brand, bidu to dominate. They will tell you because google doesn’t want censorship in China. Do you really believe it’s about ethics? Does anyone here believe that China will always be number two to US? They will catch up and their brands of Amazon, google, Facebook, etc will follow similar paths of their US counterparts. They will eventually have a bigger middle class than the US and that is a lot of purchasing power. That’s why I believe everyone needs a decent exposure to Chinese company stocks.
Don't feel like replying to everything right now but an interesting dynamic on china economy will be the effects of their one child policy they had for a long time. It is still a ways away from being detremential but around 2030+ the negative results might start showing.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 PM

As in they will have less people by 2030 and beyond because families only have one child? Fear China, they are planning global domination. Everyone knows that including Biden. They just can’t stop them. They got money and they gots guns. Perhaps there will be less of them due to one child policy but there is still lots of them. Also, what makes us think that in 10 years people won’t want to immigrate there for jobs and economic reasons like the US? These folks will be part of their middle class. Where there is opportunities people will move. Look I wish US will always be number one but there is too much in fighting in the US. China is a communist government so they do whatever they want. They got their covid situation under control pretty quickly vs US. Their economy is recovering faster than others. Of course from a social perspective most would prefer our democratic system but we have our problems too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing