Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 PM

18,116 posts, read 15,696,543 times

Advertisements

Newbie's right in that certain items (like jewelry) upon being sold don't allow the original owner to recapture the full cost of the item. Jewelry is easily appraised, but if you then try to sell the item you'll find out you're not getting close to the appraisal value. So while it's an asset, one would be smart to appropriately discount the sales value of that asset in counting it towards net worth. If you're holding 18K gold chains and such and the price of gold skyrockets then you might get that full value (and more) back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:35 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
if the day comes we have to start counting jewelry , my fishing rods and furniture in to our retirement calculation , that is the day we need to better evaluate this retirement plan ....

Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Newbie's right in that certain items (like jewelry) upon being sold don't allow the original owner to recapture the full cost of the item. Jewelry is easily appraised, but if you then try to sell the item you'll find out you're not getting close to the appraisal value. So while it's an asset, one would be smart to appropriately discount the sales value of that asset in counting it towards net worth. If you're holding 18K gold chains and such and the price of gold skyrockets then you might get that full value (and more) back.
24k is pure gold ...

Old 03-03-2019, 04:25 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
I'm always intrigued by the degree of resistance to this idea when it comes up.
It's like some raw wound is being poked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I know what I have, but I don’t know the valuation of ...
a) Who's fault is that?
b) Who is limiting the discussion to jewelry?

If what YOU (or anyone else) has isn't worth much... then forget it.
What you (or your grandfather) paid for it is immaterial.
But the ostrich head in the sand outlook on the matters completely eludes me.

https://ew.com/tv/antiques-roadshow-most-valuable/

Old 03-03-2019, 06:50 AM

18,116 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
24k is pure gold ...
I know that. Jewelry isn't made in 24K as it would be so soft the piece would bend and distort. 18K is the most I've seen in jewelry.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:53 AM

Which is why jewelry retains little of its value when sold off

Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 AM

790 posts, read 505,480 times
Quote:
if the day comes we have to start counting jewelry , my fishing rods and furniture in to our retirement calculation , that is the day we need to better evaluate this retirement plan ....
Exactly.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm always intrigued by the degree of resistance to this idea when it comes up.
It's like some raw wound is being poked.

a) Who's fault is that?
b) Who is limiting the discussion to jewelry?

If what YOU (or anyone else) has isn't worth much... then forget it.
What you (or your grandfather) paid for it is immaterial.
But the ostrich head in the sand outlook on the matters completely eludes me.

https://ew.com/tv/antiques-roadshow-most-valuable/
There’s no raw wound. I like to correct absurd things people post online. You mentioned jewelry, I didn’t. Fault about what? Keep moving the goal post so you can say you were right hey?
Forget about it, that’s exactly what I wrote. You can’t count on them because you can get a proper valuation.
You can’t assume they are all antiques. Even for antique items, I’ve seen the price fluctuates for exactly the same item year to year. I happened to watch the show a few months ago by accident.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Some of my furniture pieces worth more than some of my jewelry pieces. Maybe we should count furniture too.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:24 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
I like to correct absurd things people post online.
We have that in common then.
Quote:
You mentioned jewelry, I didn’t.
Correct. I made an example using it.

Quote:
In other threads on this general topic I've advocated for also including
virtually any material object in the household (jewelry, art, etc) that could be liquidated.
Then you (and others) chose to limit the takeaway to just jewelry.

Should I have listed the 100 or 10,000 other things that ALSO might qualify as such an asset?
The reader needs to do their share of the work.

Quote:
Some of my furniture pieces worth more than some of my jewelry pieces.
Maybe we should count furniture too.
The question is only in HOW to include it.

If the total is truly small enough to dismiss the discussion... then dismiss it.
But if the total is large enough (relative to other assets)... recognize it in the planning.
Repeating: The smaller the total net worth the more critical these other assets become.

Last edited by MrRational; 03-03-2019 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing