Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:11 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times

Advertisements

I keep good-sized chunks at TD Ameritrade, Vanguard, and Fidelity; I keep enough at them to attain their respective private client elite status (each calls it something slightly different). I keep enough at Chase to get invited to their private parties held at Sundance Film Festival, Vegas UnCork'd and the like.

Each have their pluses and minuses, but mostly pluses (at least when you have status). It's sort of like my being Global Services on United Airlines - at least when I fly commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 01:30 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
With both Vanguard & Fidelity they are set up in two ways- either low cost self direction or if your a person that needs advice they are going to push for a managed account. With having low fee's etc. & expecting free advice is unreasonable. So either do your own research or pay the firm to do that work for you.
Vanguard does not offer stock-picking advice. Their "investment advisor" service does allocation, rebalancing and the like. They won't call you at 7 am on a Monday, suggesting that you get into the latest IPO, that's about to hit the trading-floor that morning. They won't suggest that you buy puts on GE or Boeing. They won't go for a "dead cat bounce" in AT&T or Ford or Sears. And they won't do any currency-hedging for international investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I keep good-sized chunks at TD Ameritrade, Vanguard, and Fidelity; I keep enough at them to attain their respective private client elite status ...
You keep enough at Vanguard to reach Flagship Select?

Old 05-02-2019, 01:33 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Vanguard does not offer stock-picking advice. Their "investment advisor" service does allocation, rebalancing and the like. They won't call you at 7 am on a Monday, suggesting that you get into the latest IPO, that's about to hit the trading-floor that morning. They won't suggest that you buy puts on GE or Boeing. They won't go for a "dead cat bounce" in AT&T or Ford or Sears. And they won't do any currency-hedging for international investments.

You keep enough at Vanguard to reach Flagship Select?
But you can count on vanguard to promote and push whatever the flavor of the month is that they decide to offer services in wherever they can find a chance to do it ....

They got in to the trust business so they deleted our ability to have beneficiaries in case of common death on all joint accounts ....then the canned answer is we should be using trusts which they can help us with ...

They promoted do it yourself investing and how ANYONE CAN DO IT BY INDEXING ..then a study by vanguard shows how having your money managed can add 2 to 3 % to your returns .... yep vanguard got in to money mgmt .....

We have been with fidelity for more than 30 years and never ever had a product offered to us .

We have both private client status at fidelity with our own personal rep and a chase private client account

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-02-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
you keep enough at vanguard to reach flagship select?
I have to keep investments somewhere.

https://investor.vanguard.com/wealth...ement/services

:d

Old 05-02-2019, 02:34 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I have to keep investments somewhere.

:d
I like how you're leveraging all the perks from the financial institutions. And why not! Say hi to Bob (Redford), if he attends his own film festival, that is.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:43 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
I've stuck with Fidelity on my dad's recommendation that Vanguard is a pain to deal with when trying to get money out among other things. To top the icing on the cake, their cash management account is amazing internationally and customer service at the big box locations here in NYC is phenomenal to say the least. Very professional, very useful, and always a pleasant experience.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
With both Vanguard & Fidelity they are set up in two ways- either low cost self direction or if your a person that needs advice they are going to push for a managed account. With having low fee's etc. & expecting free advice is unreasonable. So either do your own research or pay the firm to do that work for you.
has anyone here asked for free advice?

well, i guess lots of people here ask for free advice but you all know what i mean.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
has anyone here asked for free advice?

well, i guess lots of people here ask for free advice but you all know what i mean.
When I was at Vanguard, I made an appointment with one of their Advisors for a free review. They suggested a couple of tweaks to our portfolio, but didn’t really push anything aside from suggesting we open a 529.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I like how you're leveraging all the perks from the financial institutions. And why not! Say hi to Bob (Redford), if he attends his own film festival, that is.
I've seen him, but never met him. He's retired form Sundance management leadership.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:30 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Our fidelity rep is in the brick and mortar building about 15 minutes from our home .... we get calls to come in and chat once or twice a year ... never are products pushed at us ... it is more for feed back as to what fidelity can do better from our point of view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing