Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,791,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions and Comments View Post
...Would you take 4.14% annual GUARANTEED in a 4 year fixed period or would you gamble with the balanced mutual fund and hope you do better in the next four years?
Yes and no.

I'd not compare the mortgage to a balanced fund. I'd instead compare it to a low-volatility bond-fund, which basically means short-term bonds. Interest on such bonds is far, far less than 4%.

Consider the stock/bond allocation in your investment portfolio. Think of your mortgage as a bond that's invested against you. If you're overwhelmingly in stocks, and are comfortable with that allocation, then keep paying the mortgage at normal rate. But if the bond-portion of your portfolio is large, and for whatever reason you prefer it that way, then consider pre-paying the mortgage, instead of contributing more to the bond portion of your portfolio.

A more aggressive investor would invest in stocks and keep paying the mortgage, counting on higher rate of return from stocks. A less aggressive investor who is already skittish and relies overwhelmingly on bonds, would instead benefit from paying down the mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:45 PM

13,124 posts, read 7,607,087 times
So, what else do you have, OP?

Old 07-31-2019, 02:12 AM

107,122 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yes and no.

I'd not compare the mortgage to a balanced fund. I'd instead compare it to a low-volatility bond-fund, which basically means short-term bonds. Interest on such bonds is far, far less than 4%.

Consider the stock/bond allocation in your investment portfolio. Think of your mortgage as a bond that's invested against you. If you're overwhelmingly in stocks, and are comfortable with that allocation, then keep paying the mortgage at normal rate. But if the bond-portion of your portfolio is large, and for whatever reason you prefer it that way, then consider pre-paying the mortgage, instead of contributing more to the bond portion of your portfolio.

A more aggressive investor would invest in stocks and keep paying the mortgage, counting on higher rate of return from stocks. A less aggressive investor who is already skittish and relies overwhelmingly on bonds, would instead benefit from paying down the mortgage.
what makes this a tricky question is the fact he is not comparing it to just a bond fund

Old 07-31-2019, 02:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,350,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Current 15 year rates are 1% less. Refi and make min payments.
2nd this^^^ I have often used my CU for a 'No Fee refi'

We do not know enough about you (risk profile, holdings / objectives / income )

I would hope you can do better than 4.14%, + your actual Cost of funds is less than 4.14%, and you have TIME on you side. (paying back with deflated currency)

There are a lot of options.

I for one, will likely never have a paid off 'primary' residence. I just find the personal mortgage rates too attractive to NOT leverage into my other RE investments. (I always keep the cash / liquidity on hand to pay my home mortgage tomorrow off if needed) Not needed (yet).

As long as my RE $ are spinning off a 10 - 12% cap rate, I am fine with a personal mortgage or even renting the rest of my life.

Your personal objectives will be different than mine, or others.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:31 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,977,825 times
I’d put the money on the mortgage. Who knows what mortgage rates will be in 4 years and to me, less debt is always a good thing. You can run numbers every which way to Sunday and I’m sure you MAY do better doing other things, but psychologically I always pay off debt after my investment plans have been met. And by that I mean you are already investing and on track to meet your goal.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I’d put the money on the mortgage. Who knows what mortgage rates will be in 4 years and to me, less debt is always a good thing. You can run numbers every which way to Sunday and I’m sure you MAY do better doing other things, but psychologically I always pay off debt after my investment plans have been met. And by that I mean you are already investing and on track to meet your goal.
why would you look at what mortgage rates would be in 4 years ? he wont have this mortgage .

Old 07-31-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why would you look at what mortgage rates would be in 4 years ? he wont have this mortgage .
In 4 years he'll need a new mortgage. Who knows what those rates will be.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
In 4 years he'll need a new mortgage. Who knows what those rates will be.
Buy that has nothing to do with the old one either way

Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Buy that has nothing to do with the old one either way
Sure it does. If he has to borrow less with his new mortgage by paying more on his old. Try and keep up.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,135,835 times
Quote:
Sure it does. If he has to borrow less with his new mortgage by paying more on his old. Try and keep up.
There is NO logic here. Either way the OP might be getting a new mortgage. If he invests and makes more money then he might decide to take a smaller mortgage. The question is which will leave him with more money, paying more to the mortgage or investing.

Long term investing will return more. Short term who knows? Personally even for the short term of 4 years, I would put the money into investments. First, the odds of coming out ahead a better. Second, it is better to have ready access to your money instead of having it tied up in a house. Third, wise money management means investing. Now is better than later. We always want to aim for returns due to the power of compounding. Finally, there are indeed some psychological considerations. Many people just seem to "feel" good when they pay off low cost loans. Instead they would have come out way ahead by investing that money. Next, when the OP does sell they will receive a chunk of equity in the current house. It is tempting to roll that over into an even more expensive house. People do this frequently and end up paying for more house than they should. Houses are typically poor investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing