Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 02:57 PM

439 posts, read 426,590 times

Advertisements

At age 68, I have about 59% in equities and the rest in fixed income, CD's and small amount in cash. I want to reduce the amount in equities and are considering corporate bonds. I'm wondering if it's a smart move in regards to risk and overall costs? Is there a way to research which corporate bonds are best? At this point in time I primarily want to avoid high risk. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 04:08 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,078,809 times
Sure, you can adjust your risk profile by moving some of your equities into bonds. I'll recommend buying a fund instead of individual bonds.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:08 PM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
i would use a corporate bond fund . bonds are an area for pro's in my opinion

Old 12-30-2019, 04:17 PM

Definitely agree..for the pros. I was just wondering when suggestions are made is there a good site to read up on the specific corporate bond funds? PIMCO and MFS were suggested.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:21 PM

Take a look on Morningstar.com

Your public library may have the paid subscription version with the more detailed fund reports. Many years ago I went to the library to read Morningstar. Or you might be able to try the free trial period for the premium online service.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:28 PM

Will do. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2019, 05:16 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,359,886 times
Remember in a bond fund you can lose money as the interest rate increases. I would look toward individual tax free (depending on your tax rate) municipal bonds. You can get bond ratings from your brokers site.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,620,600 times
Question(s) on bond funds. Say I buy into a bond fund and it has some nice corporate bonds whose underlying creditworthiness has improved. Say from BBB to A yet it historically has the better yield. What terms are used if someone new buys into the fund:

1. New money enters the fund and gets placed at the rates of the moment, if yields are down, then they fall for all.
2. New money can't enter the fund, only the share price is affected and the underlying price someone is willing to pay.

3...either of the above but the interest gain on the bonds is reinvested.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Question(s) on bond funds. Say I buy into a bond fund and it has some nice corporate bonds whose underlying creditworthiness has improved. Say from BBB to A yet it historically has the better yield. What terms are used if someone new buys into the fund:

1. New money enters the fund and gets placed at the rates of the moment, if yields are down, then they fall for all.
2. New money can't enter the fund, only the share price is affected and the underlying price someone is willing to pay.

3...either of the above but the interest gain on the bonds is reinvested.
I’m not entirely sure of your question. Like any mutual fund, the net asset value is calculated every day, and shares are purchased and redeemed at that price. So if I buy shares today at 10.00/sh, and then all of the holdings were upgraded tomorrow, I’d have to pay more for those shares tomorrow (assuming that is the only significant change).

Old 12-31-2019, 09:54 AM

2,954 posts, read 2,348,076 times
Bonds and bond funds lose or gain value when interest rates change.

Rates go up, bond prices go down and you lose value. Rates go down, prices are up and you gain value.

The longer the bond, known as duration, the more pronounced prices changes impact value. So a note that has two years to maturity will move less in value than a bond with 30 years given the same nice in interest rates.

Yield will generally be higher for longer duration. Yield will also be higher for credit risk. The lower the companies credit rating, the higher the yield.

This is important with rates so low you can find yourself chasing yield, which puts you in long duration opening yourself not only to interest rate risk but also credit risk.

Most people view bonds as a lower risk investment and they can be. However people tend to chase bond yield and think it's safer for some reason than chasing yield in equities, despite the fact that as they reach for yield they are opening themselves up to immense risk

Invest cautiously, individual bonds when held to maturity are, in very simple terms, binary risk. Default or paid. You start looking to get out early or buy funds, chase yield and otherwise juice returns under the guise of reducing risk and you'll probably get bit by how volatile bonds can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing