Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:36 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,182,960 times

Advertisements

I know Bill Ackman is a polarizing figure, and I know his rant on CNBC a few days ago was also polarizing. But he was right. This slow, sort-of shutdown is not going to work, and we are still going to be battling this virus in a serious way two months from now. As he said, most businesses can survive a 30-day total shutdown. Very few can survive a 90% shutdown for over a year.

Only two things have so far been shown to stop this virus. First, you can test obsessively and quarantine obsessively. South Korea did that, and they had success. We're way too late in the game for that. The other option is to shut things down completely. Thirty days of real lockdown will cause all existing cases of the virus to disappear. What will not work is a partial lockdown, which is exactly what we are doing now.

Imagine your neighborhood is being infested by cockroaches, one house at a time. You could spray your entire house and prevent the infestation, but you'd have to remove all of your furniture and take your pets somewhere else for a week. It would be inconvenient. Instead of doing that, you wait until literally every single other house in your neighborhood is infested, and you then wait until you find five cockroaches in your house. But guess what? Now, the preventative spray doesn't work so well, and you are constantly emptying your house, spraying, finding more, emptying, and so on.

Why not just bite the bullet and realize that, if every other house in your neighborhood is being infested, yours will be too? The US states that are not locking things down are the last house on the block, sticking their fingers in their ears while singing loudly.

The federal government should lock things down completely for one month. Mortgages and rent can be waived, and our stimulus checks can buy food. This is the only shot we have at being back to quasi-normal in two months or so.

Remember, this whole ordeal started with one or two people. From them, it spread to the entire world. Ergo, only locking down hot zones, even if that locks down 90% of people with the virus, won't come close to containing it in a country with 40,000+ positive cases. We have to get to zero, and the sooner, the better.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 03-23-2020 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 09:48 AM

492 posts, read 234,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timingiseverything View Post
Walmart is still packed out around here. The issue is still teetering between humorous and serious for most folks.

Black Monday here we come.

It really did sneak up on us kinda fast.

Social distancing seemed like some new joke last Monday.

Simpler times.
No one social distances themselves at costco, walmart or winco. Those places are packed like Rock concerts. IT IS A JOKE. For them to do it right they would have to tell folks to stay in the car and only let a certain amount of folks in the store per hour. They would never do this. Folks in the checkout line are right next to each other.

A stupid concept. Just like this virus which affects the unhealthy,obese older folks with multiple health issues. Zero kids have died under 10 years old.

Why don't they just order old, obese folks to stay home. That right there would solve it. Make it on waist size. Any waist size over 33 you stay at home. I have a 32 waist, so I can roam freely of course.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:57 AM

545 posts, read 192,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I know Bill Ackman is a polarizing figure, and I know his rant on CNBC a few days ago was also polarizing. But he was right. This slow, sort-of shutdown is not going to work, and we are still going to be battling this virus in a serious way two months from now. As he said, most businesses can survive a 30-day total shutdown. Very few can survive a 90% shutdown for over a year.

Only two things have so far been shown to stop this virus. First, you can test obsessively and quarantine obsessively. South Korea did that, and they had success. We're way too late in the game for that. The other option is to shut things down completely. Thirty days of real lockdown will cause all existing cases of the virus to disappear. What will not work is a partial lockdown, which is exactly what we are doing now.

Imagine your neighborhood is being infested by cockroaches, one house at a time. You could spray your entire house and prevent the infestation, but you'd have to remove all of your furniture and take your pets somewhere else for a week. It would be inconvenient. Instead of doing that, you wait until literally every single other house in your neighborhood is infested, and you then wait until you find five cockroaches in your house. But guess what? Now, the preventative spray doesn't work so well, and you are constantly emptying your house, spraying, finding more, emptying, and so on.

Why not just bite the bullet and realize that, if every other house in your neighborhood is being infested, yours will be too? The US states that are not locking things down are the last house on the block, sticking their fingers in their ears while singing loudly.

The federal government should lock things down completely for one month. Mortgages and rent can be waived, and our stimulus checks can buy food. This is the only shot we have at being back to quasi-normal in two months or so.

Remember, this whole ordeal started with one or two people. From them, it spread to the entire world. Ergo, only locking down hot zones, even if that locks down 90% of people with the virus, won't come close to containing it in a country with 40,000+ positive cases. We have to get to zero, and the sooner, the better.
But the problem remains, which is the argument I was making a week ago.....is that the essential businesses are still open. So when those people leave the house to go to the grocery store, that will be in a group. If it's going to spread, it's going to spread.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 AM

962 posts, read 613,566 times
The Great Shutdown doesn't work. We are just forcing more people into fewer spaces, causing even more congestion.

And you can't close EVERYTHING. People would run out of food.

Ackman is a tool, serving his own interests.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:27 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
I saw that interview and I agree, he was/is spot on. Sadly, the Orange One doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself.

The End of Days are here!

Old 03-23-2020, 10:28 AM

492 posts, read 234,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
The Great Shutdown doesn't work. We are just forcing more people into fewer spaces, causing even more congestion.

He is a tool, serving his own selfishness. Why does the media even give him a platform? It fit's there fear thesis.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious994 View Post
But the problem remains, which is the argument I was making a week ago.....is that the essential businesses are still open.
Force people to make appointments and wear masks at grocery stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious994 View Post
If it's going to spread, it's going to spread.
You've said this repeatedly, and it's been nonsense every time. Viruses spread because of exposure, and exposure is not binary. Literally every single epidemiologist disagrees with you on this.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
He is a tool, serving his own selfishness. Why does the media even give him a platform? It fit's there fear thesis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

Ackman's toolishness is irrelevant to the question of whether he's right. His motives are also irrelevant to the question of whether he's right.

Every epidemiologist disagrees with you (Purlin) regarding isolation and the virus spreading.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM

962 posts, read 613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Ackman's toolishness is irrelevant to the question of whether he's right. His motives are also irrelevant to the question of whether he's right.

Every epidemiologist disagrees with you (Purlin) regarding isolation and the virus spreading.
Actually, I think we agree man. Isolation works, no doubt.

But closing damn near everything forces more people into fewer spaces, which is the opposite of isolation.

The scene at my local Costco was insane. I witnessed around 400 people all huddled together in a tight circle, for 30+ minutes waiting for the doors to open.

The more things close, the more people congregate into the same place. Hell else they gonna go?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,949,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
A stupid concept. Just like this virus which affects the unhealthy,obese older folks with multiple health issues. Zero kids have died under 10 years old.

Why don't they just order old, obese folks to stay home. That right there would solve it. Make it on waist size. Any waist size over 33 you stay at home. I have a 32 waist, so I can roam freely of course.
JohnDABaptist --

I can't tell if you're being serious or if your humor is just too wry for the internet.

The Spring Breakers are back from Florida, and the first positive tests are already coming in.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...sity-of-tampa/

Maybe you could revise your waist size requirements down to, say..........22 or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing