Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,100,236 times

Advertisements

The economy is on fire! Transactions increased at an annual rate of 23%.

Well no, they’re still in the crapper and down roughly 40% over the past three months, but the annualized increase/improvement since last week is 23%. An entire quarter where activity in the “world’s largest economy” is reduced by depression levels across all measures of consumption, capital spending and exports. The government did conjure $3T to try and fill the hole, but it appears that little of that money has made its way into consumer spending.

We live in interesting times.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,695,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The economy is on fire! Transactions increased at an annual rate of 23%.

Well no, they’re still in the crapper and down roughly 40% over the past three months, but the annualized increase/improvement since last week is 23%. An entire quarter where activity in the “world’s largest economy” is reduced by depression levels across all measures of consumption, capital spending and exports. The government did conjure $3T to try and fill the hole, but it appears that little of that money has made its way into consumer spending.

We live in interesting times.
It's time folks consider stock shopping and buying as consumer spending.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,100,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It's time folks consider stock shopping and buying as consumer spending.
So, guns & butter, or stawks & butter? Maybe a combination of both.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:31 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,695,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So, guns & butter, or stawks & butter? Maybe a combination of both.
Stawks!

Old 07-27-2020, 02:51 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
Money is being set aside to shutter businesses or to ride it out. Depending on the series, money supply is up 25-40 percent in two months.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:08 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I think if you are trading silver and gold actively now both will do well through the summer, but later this year into 2021 both will take a heavy hit. That will be a great time to load up on more for the longer-term.

Best of luck to everyone trading out there.
Congratulations on another great call with the recent silver move!

Old 07-28-2020, 10:14 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,568,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Congratulations on another great call with the recent silver move!

Thank you! I think we can run higher in both (gold and silver) in the shorter-term but I think both will take a substantial hit later this year going into 2021. If it plays out like I think it will it will be a grand liquidation event where basically everything goes down except for the dollar. It will be another nice buying opportunity for the longer-term in silver and gold (if you can still find physical) as I expect to see $100+ silver and $5K+ gold within the next 5 years or so.

I would exercise caution regarding SLV and GLD in this type of environment because I think we can see a similar event unfold like we did with USO. ETF-type investments are becoming a bubble in their own right and I think people should exercise caution in them looking out into the intermediate term.

Right now there are tons of dollar bears as the dollar gets smoked this summer and we should see more dollar weakness through the end of the summer. I think the dollar goes on a huge run starting later this year through a good part of 2021 though and will take a lot of people by surprise just how high it gets in its move higher. I would not be surprised at all to see the DXY spike to 115+ during this move. Global bust will send people fleeing into the dollar.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:43 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
There's no way I'm buying gold now since it's at a high. I held GLD for a few years and sold a few months ago and made a very nice profit on it.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,295,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Thank you! I think we can run higher in both (gold and silver) in the shorter-term but I think both will take a substantial hit later this year going into 2021. If it plays out like I think it will it will be a grand liquidation event where basically everything goes down except for the dollar. It will be another nice buying opportunity for the longer-term in silver and gold (if you can still find physical) as I expect to see $100+ silver and $5K+ gold within the next 5 years or so.

I would exercise caution regarding SLV and GLD in this type of environment because I think we can see a similar event unfold like we did with USO. ETF-type investments are becoming a bubble in their own right and I think people should exercise caution in them looking out into the intermediate term.

Right now there are tons of dollar bears as the dollar gets smoked this summer and we should see more dollar weakness through the end of the summer. I think the dollar goes on a huge run starting later this year through a good part of 2021 though and will take a lot of people by surprise just how high it gets in its move higher. I would not be surprised at all to see the DXY spike to 115+ during this move. Global bust will send people fleeing into the dollar.
A large portion of my portfolio is in Apple and Amazon. I plan to hold them both for the long term. Where do you see tech going in 2021?

Old 07-29-2020, 09:04 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,568,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
A large portion of my portfolio is in Apple and Amazon. I plan to hold them both for the long term. Where do you see tech going in 2021?
organic_donna, in all honesty I worry about how concentrated those big names have become. When 5 names dominate the market in a very concentrated fashion like we are currently seeing it can really exacerbate downside risk. As of April, 5 stocks - Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet (Google), and Facebook accounted for more than 20% of the market cap of the entire S&P 500. A top-heavy market like that with these names currently making new all-time highs concerns me looking out into 2021. Extreme concentration like this has historically come with high risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing