Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 01:33 PM

60 posts, read 44,708 times

Advertisements

3221 - Lickin' the chops.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:24 PM

790 posts, read 505,229 times
Started my "dont try to thread the needle" reduction of exposure today at close.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:34 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard818 View Post
Started my "dont try to thread the needle" reduction of exposure today at close.

A wise old grasshopper once told me, "You don't go broke taking double-digit % profits."

Last edited by heart84; 06-08-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 02:37 PM

790 posts, read 505,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post

A wise old grasshopper once told me, "You don't go broke taking double-digit profits."

Old 06-08-2020, 02:39 PM

232 posts, read 180,648 times
Quote:

A wise old grasshopper once told me, "You don't go broke taking double-digit profits."
Is it better to put in a stop loss order instead of selling? For example, I bought some risky stocks today. They went up a lot. Near market close, I put in a stop loss order about 10% below the current price. I figure the stock goes down overnight, I still take a profit. If it goes higher tomorrow, I will adjust my stop loss order higher.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Going back to my "moonshot" back to record highs in short order call back in the mid-March lows, I can't stress this enough in terms of my own personal strategy. DO NOT TRY TO TIME THE EXACT TOP OF THIS MOONSHOT MOVE. Take profits along the way in "blocks." Selling exact tops and buying exact bottoms is incredibly difficult to do. If you leave some money on the table to the upside then so be it. You do not want to be holding the bag 100% all-in on a major reversal move.

If things play out the way I think they will we will not see these summer record highs from the apex of the moonshot for a very long time (10+ years). I think we will see the biggest bust since The Great Depression starting later this year into 2021. I would not get greedy and be left holding the bag to the upside. You buy when everyone hates something and take your double-digit % profits along the way. I have detailed my selling "blocks" (realized and future/unrealized) to this moonshot move along the way.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
Is it better to put in a stop loss order instead of selling? For example, I bought some risky stocks today. They went up a lot. Near market close, I put in a stop loss order about 10% below the current price. I figure the stock goes down overnight, I still take a profit. If it goes higher tomorrow, I will adjust my stop loss order higher.

I have never used them, but plenty of successful investors do use them. I always set my own price targets/price alerts and have pre-determined buy and sell points.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:00 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
In a fast big drop it won’t help ...you will just get sold out at a lower price ...we had a flash crash in 2015 that saw popular etfs get mispriced in it ...investors were sold out at down 35% in DVY while the assets were down only 5%.. it happened in minutes .....

On the other hand a stop limit order may not execute at all for a penny difference and you don’t get sold out at all

Old 06-08-2020, 08:07 PM

232 posts, read 180,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
In a fast big drop it won’t help ...you will just get sold out at a lower price ...we had a flash crash in 2015 that saw popular etfs get mispriced in it ...investors were sold out at down 35% in DVY while the assets were down only 5%.. it happened in minutes .....

On the other hand a stop limit order may not execute at all for a penny difference and you don’t get sold out at all
yea, that's what happened to my Hertz stocks. Put in a stop limit at $2 and it ended up selling at $.40. Now it's at $6. Sigh. But I don't expect other stocks to drop as fast the next month or so?

Old 06-09-2020, 06:42 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Just an update to my moonshot call and beyond since my original "moonshot" thread was locked due to a few trolls that insisted on derailing our once productive discussion. If you would like to see who they were take a look at the second-to-last post on the now locked moonshot thread. A lot of work went into that thread and I am very disappointed to see it taken down. That is exactly what the trolls wanted. They offered no productive discussion on the actual markets and it is sad to see that is how the trolls are rewarded on here.

So just to refresh on my calls. In 2019 in what was called the "greatest economy ever" I was calling for a stiff correction in early 2020 and a recession by the middle of 2020. Almost to the day of the March low I posted my original "moonshot" thread calling for new record highs in short order. That was back at DJI 19K. In the April oil lows around $10 I called for oil to reach the $30-$35 range within 3 months. Following the "moonshot" apex completion this summer we are going to see the biggest bust since The Great Depression. If you would like more details on my specific calls, and don't want to see trolls get threads locked down, please send me a private message so we can discuss more specific details of these calls.
I was wondering if you might be able to read my palm or some tea leaves as well. I actually started a thread to congratulate you on your amazing call. That was really bold and 100% correct. Great call and hopefully you made a ton of money.

So when and why do you think that the 70% crash will occur? As the Fed pumped money into the system to avert disaster, do you think that such measures when the next decline occurs will be ineffective? I am certainly interested in your opinion, given your track record.

Again- congrats on your market call. I am the first to admit that I was completely wrong.

I have read "all cash by the end of August" on one of your posts. So do you think this is a fall/early winter crash this year? A 70% crash from your predicted highs would take us down to about Dow 12K. Is that what you are thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing