Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 08:40 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Once again though if losing less in a crash is considered winning, then making less every year there isn’t a crash then should be considered losing. You can’t call a smaller loss compared to XYZ a win and then call a smaller gain compared to XYZ a win. It has to go both ways. And the main point is THIS IS MARKET TIMING. You might think a crash is going to happen so you put everything into other asset classes and then a crash might not happen, maybe it’s just a small correction, maybe the market has a massive rally instead, for that person to say, I go into PP at the tops of markets and then switch back to SPY after a 20% drop, is the overwhelming definition of GUESSING, market timing because it isn’t based on technicals, it’s just feelings, so not only is it market timing, it’s pure guesswork, which I don’t have an issue with but don’t you for one second criticize others here for market timing or predicting the future.
making less than , is an ambiguous term . less than what ?

my benchmark is getting less than cash instruments , if i had done no investing ...

if cash instruments are returning negative 1% real returns then i am winning at zero % .

for traders their bench mark should be a total market or s&p fund . if they made money but not as much as they could have doing no trading at all , which after all is the reason for trading . to beat the markets at their own ghame . if they did not then they did not win in my opinion just because they are merely up .

so winning is determined by some yard stick criteria .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 08:50 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,446,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

my benchmark is getting less than cash instruments , if i had done no investing ...

if cash instruments are returning negative 1% real returns then i am winning at zero % .

for traders their bench mark should be a total market or s&p fund . if they made money but not as much as they could have doing no trading at all , which after all is the reason for trading . to beat the markets at their own ghame . if they did not then they did not win in my opinion just because they are merely up .

You have to also consider the time you spend trying to figure it all out, because time is valuable. Investments that require no thought or effort might return less, but they didn't use up any of your time. So gotta factor that in.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:53 AM

24,416 posts, read 27,098,220 times
Quote:

Whatever you compare less losses to... so if you say... I won because I only lost x% compared to losing xx% if I was in XYZ... then you would also need to say, I lost because I only made x% compared to making xx% if i was in XYZ.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Whatever you compare less losses to... so if you say... I won because I only lost x% compared to losing xx% if I was in XYZ... then you would also need to say, I lost because I only made x% compared to making xx% if i was in XYZ.
yes , if that is your bench mark then yes .

it all depends what you are referencing to to know if you are doing good , bad or mediocre .

it is like we tease my friend all the time . he married a virgin . we tell him he has the easiest job since she does not know if he is good or bad .

so if you want to judge yourself as winning or losing you need to have a benchmark to compare to.

if i am a trader , if i am not beating a simple index fund with all my efforts of trading and spending time doing so then in my opinion you did not win .

my reference is cash instruments , so real returns are my bench mark .

Old 10-20-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
yes , if that is your bench mark then yes .

it all depends what you are referencing to to know if you are doing good , bad or mediocre .

it is like we tease my friend all the time . he married a virgin . we tell him he has the easiest job since she does not know if he is good or bad .

so if you want to judge yourself as winning or losing you need to have a benchmark to compare to.

if i am a trader , if i am not beating a simple index fund with all my efforts of trading and spending time doing so then in my opinion you did not win .

my reference is cash instruments , so real returns are my bench mark .

That's my point though... that member said all you need to do is put yourself in a situation where you win no matter what by diversifying into different asset classes... well you still can't win no matter what... you can sacrifice smaller gains for smaller losses or larger gains for larger losses.

Anything besides that requires market timing. You can't beat the market in a bull year and beat the market in a bear year WITHOUT timing the market successfully.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
That's my point though... that member said all you need to do is put yourself in a situation where you win no matter what by diversifying into different asset classes... well you still can't win no matter what... you can sacrifice smaller gains for smaller losses or larger gains for larger losses.

Anything besides that requires market timing. You can't beat the market in a bull year and beat the market in a bear year WITHOUT timing the market successfully.
i agree

Old 10-20-2020, 09:24 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,697,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
He's always vague - but always says he was right.
My wife says she's always right, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
It's hard to prove him wrong because he has SO many 'if this/then that" statements.
Sounds like he is a master of the forecast that says "if this happens the market might go up, if that happens the market might go down, and if does neither of those, the market will stay about the same."

Old 10-20-2020, 09:40 AM

18,317 posts, read 15,834,289 times
Mercury went retrograde and all I can say about that is... miscommunications, technical snafus, wrong directions. (I've experienced all 3 just this morning, then I looked up if mercury is retrograde and yep, it is).

Relating it to the investing topic, check and double-check any order before submitting, check and double-check emails before sending, and if talking to customer service or anyone, really, you may need to repeat yourself, using simple and precise language.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Mercury went retrograde and all I can say about that is... miscommunications, technical snafus, wrong directions. (I've experienced all 3 just this morning, then I looked up if mercury is retrograde and yep, it is).

Relating it to the investing topic, check and double-check any order before submitting, check and double-check emails before sending, and if talking to customer service or anyone, really, you may need to repeat yourself, using simple and precise language.

I made an order mistake before... I was buying I think TSM and I always use the "calculate my shares" option where you enter the $ amount you want to buy and it converts it into shares... well I entered the $ amount into the share box, so I ended up with over $1M in TSM or whatever stock it was lol. Luckily, I caught it less than a minute later and was able to close it easily as volume was high.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:47 AM

18,317 posts, read 15,834,289 times
(Wondering if Jeffrey Toobin will use the Mercury Retrograde excuse)

I'll see myself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing