Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 04:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I fail to see how what Roaring Kitty and his followers did to drive the price up was illegal. How is this different from a newsletter or large brokerages recommending certain stocks and their followers buying, potentially resulting in a rise in stock price?
Agree. The hedge funds have been doing this kind of stuff for years and nobody cares.
Now, the small investor decides to fight back, and all of a sudden there's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 05:00 AM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times
The problem is not what they are doing , the problem is the brokerages and those clearing the trades need to cover the float requirements but can’t on such a large scale.

The system was never designed to cover what is happening on such a massive scale .

This is more an sec problem to fix

Old 01-31-2021, 05:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The problem is not what they are doing , the problem is the brokerages and those clearing the trades need to cover the float requirements but can’t on such a large scale
Well they better get it figured out.... the game has changed

Old 01-31-2021, 05:03 AM

There may not be an answer...when they don’t have the dough they don’t have that kind of dough or credit lines.

Game stop had every share outstanding change hands 10x ....that is an insane amount of capital to lay out on one stock before seeing a dollar of customer money settle

Old 01-31-2021, 07:33 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There may not be an answer...when they don’t have the dough they don’t have that kind of dough or credit lines.

Game stop had every share outstanding change hands 10x ....that is an insane amount of capital to lay out on one stock before seeing a dollar of customer money settle
It clearly wasn't every share. It's a small proportion of the shares changing hands thousands of times and/or synthetic shares being created via short positions. All you have to do is go to WSBs and filter by YOLO and you can see some "whales" over there have well over 100k shares and they haven't sold those. Plus the index funds aren't selling and neither have any insiders.

I think what you meant was the equivalent of every share.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:33 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,550,819 times
how many users is Robinhood losing now?

Old 01-31-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It clearly wasn't every share. It's a small proportion of the shares changing hands thousands of times and/or synthetic shares being created via short positions. All you have to do is go to WSBs and filter by YOLO and you can see some "whales" over there have well over 100k shares and they haven't sold those. Plus the index funds aren't selling and neither have any insiders.

I think what you meant was the equivalent of every share.
Yes , it was the equal of every share changing hands 10x

Old 01-31-2021, 02:01 PM

658 posts, read 725,328 times
check the volumes at AMC and GME tomorrow, KOSS and NOK also. Interesting large volumes vs. the indexes. Hopefully this meme stocks end this week so things can be back to normal...it's been affecting NYSE big time.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,113,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What millennials are doing on the market using apps is not investing. It's more like fantasy sports. You'll never get rich playing fantasy sports.
Exactly!! What they are doing is just screwing it up for all of the serious, honest investors out there. RobinHood deserves this scummy clientele because from day one that is who they marketed their services to, those that think the stock market is like playing fantasy football.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:03 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,113,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I mean, all the guy really did was go on TV and shriek and holler about how bad Hilton stock was.

I get why in theory he didn't do anything legitimately illegal - free speech and all that. The people that listened to him as if his words were Gospel are in theory the ones who were at fault.

But...I still think it was dirty as hell - unethical and immoral an act as I have ever seen.
I envy you that you must live a very sheltered life if this was the most immoral and unethical act you have ever seen. I can think of at least 10,000 things that I have seen in my life in the business world that were thousands of times more immoral than what he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing