Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 08:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times

Advertisements

In two weeks all of this stuff could be trading at 1/2 of what it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 03:39 AM

OK guys, anyone who followed my advice on these last week made money. I covered my FCEL short on Friday afternoon (an hour too early as it turned out), but still, it was a nice trade. This week, right on schedule, all three of these tickers are going back up. Which means another short opportunity is going to present itself.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 01-19-2021 at 03:58 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 AM

13,076 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Wow, they took off. Tues in morning trades. Luckily last week I only sold about half in my personal acct. No regrets since I took profits and have a pile of $ to make buys. Added BE, FCEL today. Lithium miners have taken off. Added LAC at opening price, limit trade. It's not monday, so I don't get up so early to catch premarket trades.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Wow, they took off. Tues in morning trades. Luckily last week I only sold about half in my personal acct. No regrets since I took profits and have a pile of $ to make buys. Added BE, FCEL today. Lithium miners have taken off. Added LAC at opening price, limit trade. It's not monday, so I don't get up so early to catch premarket trades.
I figured they would. And they will probably be up again tomorrow. But another short opportunity is coming.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:43 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I figured they would. And they will probably be up again tomorrow. But another short opportunity is coming.

I don't know why you would want to be shorting momentum stocks in an uptrend. You don't need to buy them, but there are much better lower risk trades to make money than trying to guess when a rocket will start stalling from just eye balling it. It's very risky shorting a high momentum up-trending stock.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't know why you would want to be shorting momentum stocks in an uptrend. You don't need to buy them, but there are much better lower risk trades to make money than trying to guess when a rocket will start stalling from just eye balling it. It's very risky shorting a high momentum up-trending stock.
bmw I really respect you as a technical guy, BUT..

I have followed these 3 stocks for a long time. They always, always, always correct.
For 15 years.

They are trading on hype right now. None of them have ever made money. How long can that last?

However bmw maybe you can translate this from the Yahoo FCEL board which might as well have been written in Russian for all I know...

Look now at FCEL's 5 year chart. Once you're on it zoom in to today's date by using the scroll up button on your mouse. You will see a double upside crossover has now fully formed. Both the current and 10 day moving averages have now come up and over the 200 day average. This is an incredibly strong signal as this rarely occurs. Well it happens often on some stocks in the shorter terms but rarely is it seen on a 5 year chart and I've got even better news. If the 50 day moving average follows the current price and 10 day upwards and crosses the 200 day average then that will be the formation of a "Golden Cross" and I've already explained that several times so I won't go into the details. Suffice it to say, keep an eye on that 5 year chart and look for that 50 day to cross over the 200 day and then... well I have no idea what will happen then?
I've never owned a stock crossing over on a 5 year term but I'm sure willing to hold my shares until that happens if it and when it does. GO LONGS..!

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 01-19-2021 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 11:17 AM

I think it's just important to understand the power of momentum. A stock can be over-extended or in nose-bleed territory for a very long time or it can move very high in a very short time. Look at the daily chart... a huge sideways base... when you look at that base, this move up from the $2 range, doesn't look that crazy. Now look at the weekly chart, it would look normal to see it test the Oct 2017 high, which doesn't look far off, but that would be another 65% increase from current price.

I'm NOT advising anyone to buy it here. I don't own it. I won't be buying it. I don't recommend buying it, even though it looks like it's going higher. However, I understand why some very aggressive traders might buy it here.

However, I WOULD advise people AGAINST SHORTING it, as I believe the odds are against you and see no justification for shorting it now. It's possible it drifts sideways back to the 20 day like we saw twice before recently, but that is not something you would short, especially with today's bounce off the 8-EMA. While the stock might seem parabolic, the chart is stair stepping higher in a pretty organized manner.

Attached Thumbnails
Fcel, plug , bldp-fcel_1.jpg   Fcel, plug , bldp-fcel_2.jpg  

Old 01-19-2021, 04:17 PM

805 posts, read 1,085,272 times
We can add GEVO to this list. A couple months ago I posted about it and someone said "GEVO is trash." However, I respectfully disagree.

I want to skate to where the puck is going, and that's clean energy. GEVO creates renewable fuels to use in cars, jets, etc...what's not to like? I invested 2,000 shares anyway and now today it went parabolic. Rewarded handsomely! Obviously I expect a pullback, but I see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get ahead of the curve. I don't have hundreds of thousands to throw at blue chips, and I'm OK with taking on a little bit of risk for some hypergrowth. I don't care if GEVO doesn't make money now...this is a long-term play and where things are headed. Once we have economies of scale, plus government tax credits/subsidies, coupled with airlines' desire to be green, it will pay off in a huge way.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:17 PM

FCEL up 14%

Old 01-19-2021, 08:48 PM

500 posts, read 572,089 times
I still have bldp and two other stocks in the sector I mentioned (though I am out of plug and fcel). It was a heck of day today... hysr was up 40%. I couldn't believe the numbers on my trading account when I looked this morning. I'll be selling some more this week until I'm about 20% in cash. Probably will be selling all my nio holdings by end of this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing