Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 03:54 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
We can add GEVO to this list. A couple months ago I posted about it and someone said "GEVO is trash." However, I respectfully disagree.

I want to skate to where the puck is going, and that's clean energy. GEVO creates renewable fuels to use in cars, jets, etc...what's not to like? I invested 2,000 shares anyway and now today it went parabolic. Rewarded handsomely! Obviously I expect a pullback, but I see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get ahead of the curve. I don't have hundreds of thousands to throw at blue chips, and I'm OK with taking on a little bit of risk for some hypergrowth. I don't care if GEVO doesn't make money now...this is a long-term play and where things are headed. Once we have economies of scale, plus government tax credits/subsidies, coupled with airlines' desire to be green, it will pay off in a huge way.
I owned GEVO a long time ago. That was me who called it trash, I remember your posting, you had about 7 or 8 stocks listed. They had to do a 1:15 reverse stock split back in '15 and then another 1:20 reverse stock split back in 2017. They were trading as low as $1 back in August for Pete's sake.

But they are in the right place now with what is hapening with green energy.

I need to dig into this one a little more. Somebody on the Yahoo board said the stock could go to $300.
But then there's Peter Lynch's long time advice to avoid the very hot stocks in the hottest industries.
The world is changing faster than I am, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:53 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Wow, they took off. Tues in morning trades. Luckily last week I only sold about half in my personal acct. No regrets since I took profits and have a pile of $ to make buys. Added BE, FCEL today. Lithium miners have taken off. Added LAC at opening price, limit trade. It's not monday, so I don't get up so early to catch premarket trades.
wow-wee they just fell off the top.
BE +100 @38.85 in BH,
BE -100 @38.03 at opening, trailing stop 5%

FCEL -100 @17.67 at opening, trailing stop
FCEL +100 @16.88 catch the knife.
FCEL +100 @17.17

LAC announced 1/20/21 ~18.4M secondary offering, 20% dilution.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:32 PM

481 posts, read 190,671 times
Quote:
wow-wee they just fell off the top.
BE +100 @38.85 in BH,
BE -100 @38.03 at opening, trailing stop 5%

FCEL -100 @17.67 at opening, trailing stop
FCEL +100 @16.88 catch the knife.
FCEL +100 @17.17

LAC announced 1/20/21 ~18.4M secondary offering, 20% dilution.

Times like these is when you double down and buy more. Cold feet misses out on a lot of money. New highs incoming.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:27 PM

^Exactly what I did. I acquired more renewable energies beyond what I posted above.
Bought additional especially LAC, which dropped 20% to account for the 20% secondary offering's dilution. Would like to buy more but LAC is now +10% of my holdings and my cash is <10%.
All ICE engines are obsolete except for Mazda Skyactv.

Last edited by leastprime; 01-20-2021 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM

481 posts, read 190,671 times
Quote:
Exactly what did.
and especially LAC which dropped 20% to account for the 20% secondary offering's dilution.

All ICE engines are obsolete except for Mazda Skyactv.

I will look at LAC. Could use one more money printing machine.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,085,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I owned GEVO a long time ago. That was me who called it trash, I remember your posting, you had about 7 or 8 stocks listed. They had to do a 1:15 reverse stock split back in '15 and then another 1:20 reverse stock split back in 2017. They were trading as low as $1 back in August for Pete's sake.

But they are in the right place now with what is hapening with green energy.

I need to dig into this one a little more. Somebody on the Yahoo board said the stock could go to $300.
But then there's Peter Lynch's long time advice to avoid the very hot stocks in the hottest industries.
The world is changing faster than I am, that's for sure.
I didn't remember who said the "trash" comment but I give you a lot of credit for owning up to it! No offense taken

I'll have to admit I was skeptical too on GEVO, given the fact that it was a penny stock and all. And I completely get what you're saying on your last comment about hot stocks in hot industries. One thing that I've realized since about 2015 in the political and economic world (and really, everything) is that a lot of conventional wisdom has been thrown out the window and I need to better align myself and investments with the current realities.

I'd encourage you to keep digging on GEVO! I'm very bullish. I think it's great for the environment, great for energy-conscious individuals/institutions, and great for America's farmers and domestic hog, livestock, and energy production. It's really phenomenal what they're doing- producing gasoline, jet fuel with corn and other natural inputs, and then taking the remaining products and using it for feed. With an offering early today, the stock dipped to $8 but has since roared right back to $9 levels and I don't see this stopping anytime soon. Hopefully it continues on up to your $300 number so I can pay off my house and my kids' college. Thanks for your input and good luck to all!

Old 01-20-2021, 05:41 PM

Disclosure: I trade with at risk money. Our retirement Income is protected and in excess to our needs. LAC is highly speculative, very little in cash flow and only small production capabilities.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:34 AM

Fuel Cell reports earnings today.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:34 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fuel Cell reports earnings today.
Looks like you were on the right track with that short idea BeerGeek.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/365306...inues-freefall

Old 01-21-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Looks like you were on the right track with that short idea BeerGeek.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/365306...inues-freefall
Yeah..... I shorted it last week, covered on Friday.

I would not have been shorting it this week knowing that earnings were going to be out. If they were good - this would have easily jumped up the other way.
I'll be watching this and the other two tickers on this thread pretty carefully though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing