Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:15 AM

354 posts, read 415,175 times

Advertisements

I bought T against my better judgment last year. After I bought the stock it dropped. The other day it went up to the price I bought it and I sold it and next day it dropped. Never again will I do this, chase the dividend. I knew T was a bad company to own, yet the dividend was what prompt me to purchase the stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
I bought T against my better judgment last year. After I bought the stock it dropped. The other day it went up to the price I bought it and I sold it and next day it dropped. Never again will I do this, chase the dividend. I knew T was a bad company to own, yet the dividend was what prompt me to purchase the stock.
Live and learn …it ain’t about dividends , it is only about total return

Old 05-20-2021, 11:22 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
I sold mine as well. Made a small profit. I don't want shares of a spinoff with stuff I don't use being what it will be made of. It's all going into DOGE! (JK)

Old 05-20-2021, 11:31 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
The consolidations all started happening back in the 90s after the AT&T monopoly was originally broken up in 1984.

SBC gobbled up PacBell in '97, Ameritech in '99, and culminated with acquiring AT&T in '05, which became the new AT&T.

Kind of like when Liz Taylor divorced Richard Burton and later remarried him again, with a lot of other husbands along the way before and after, but telecom of course has a lot less glamour.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:41 AM

6,756 posts, read 5,056,845 times
To me, the cell business seems unattractive from most every angle. There are large capital investments required to buy spectrum and build out a network of towers. Little differentiation in service from the major competitors, and the cost of switching providers is very low for customers. It has a lot in common with the airline business.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The consolidations all started happening back in the 90s after the AT&T monopoly was originally broken up in 1984.

SBC gobbled up PacBell in '97, Ameritech in '99, and culminated with acquiring AT&T in '05, which became the new AT&T.

Kind of like when Liz Taylor divorced Richard Burton and later remarried him again, with a lot of other husbands along the way before and after, but telecom of course has a lot less glamour.
The break up was the biggest blunder in business history .

AT&T had a great monopoly and the govt wanted to break them up .but they really were having a hard time doing it .

AT&T had the poor vision of being another Microsoft with Unix and they had visions of being another ibm in the growing home computer market .

They had one problem ..the old communication act of 1934 forbid them from selling computers and software . They actually used the words computers back then .

All the work they were doing with computers could be utilized by them but not sold .

So they struck a deal with the fcc ….they would stop fighting the breakup and break themselves up if the fcc changes the act and allows them to pursue their venture in computers .

Needless to say how that panned out …..it was a terrible mistake

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-20-2021 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-20-2021, 05:19 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Hence why I gave up looking for qualified dividends and focus on SWR

Old 05-24-2021, 03:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
AT&T has been a crappy stock giving investors poor returns for many many years …the tradition seems to be continuing even after they finally had one decent year the last 25 years.
That's news to me. And here I was thinking I was getting a 7% return -- I must be delusional...

Quote:
Going back 25 years , which is as far back as I could go , they stank as well as you had to take on individual company risk as well as market risk to get Those crappy returns unlike a diversified s&p fund which has only market risk and no individual company risk to be beholden to .

Anyone who has held this stock did very poorly for the risk they took .
Oh? Okay, let's rewind the chart to 1996:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...od=over_search

Nope...sorry...no idea to what you're referring. And neither was the market at the time.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's news to me. And here I was thinking I was getting a 7% return -- I must be delusional...

Oh? Okay, let's rewind the chart to 1996:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...od=over_search

Nope...sorry...no idea to what you're referring. And neither was the market at the time.
Go learn your basics , a 7% dividend is not a return on investment …..your total return which is how your investment is actually doing ,includes all dividends and appreciation or loss of share price.. and including all dividends the return was poor .

The returns for AT&T the last 25 years sucked compared to an s&p index fund , go look your.self ..why are we talking 1966.

They sucked in comparison the last 3,5,10,15,20,25 years for any investor holding it those time frames with far greater risk being tied up in the whims of one stock

Old 05-24-2021, 03:51 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Ack! Don't mention AT&T to MathJak, he's gonna blow!!!!!!1one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing