Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:14 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,334,735 times

Advertisements

A huge loss is on the way this morning....

Time to start drinking heavily if you have it, lol

I am putting it on my watchlist. Good products and it's suddenly on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:18 AM

106,973 posts, read 109,241,493 times
There likely is a reason though ….it’s hard seltzer business went flat so to speak .

Everybody and their brother jumped in to that market ..it is so saturated now.

There could be a dead cat bounce worth shooting for.

We find that cane alcohol used awful tasting so we stopped trying all of them.

As a stock to much was bet on the success of their hard seltzer I think

Old 07-23-2021, 06:32 AM

5,493 posts, read 6,343,273 times
SAM is a very good beer, and a great company, but I think MJ is right. I've had my eye on SAM for a long time and could never wrap my head around the valuation, but hey, I thought it was overvalued 10 years ago at $80 so don't listen to me lol.

I'd keep my eye on it and might potential buy some if it gets low enough, but it would have to go much lower than whatever it closes at today I'm sure. I'm thinking sub $500 before I'd seriously consider buying some.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:05 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,050,910 times
Anyone trading SAM should have avoided it or shorting it. That's why trying to catch a falling knife is often a losing strategy at least on a short/mid-term time frame.

Attached Thumbnails
SAM - 0 point haircut coming-sam.jpg  

Old 07-23-2021, 07:47 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,413,780 times
It sounds like they absolutely bungled the earnings call and came off as amateurs. Seltzer sales are through the roof, the trouble is not only Sam’s sells it these days and it is very cheap and easy to produce. I think Covid helped them when they were the first player and it was hard to even get gas for carbonation. It was always sold out on the shelves and now you can always find it. It doesn’t help that they have fierce competition in that space and beer sales are dwindling over time as millennials and younger people are staying away from it.

They way they have handled things now makes me really think about the company differently. For me now they are the Boeing of beers. The sales drop doesn’t phase me but they are off of my potential buy list forever now because of how the management conducted affairs.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Anyone trading SAM should have avoided it or shorting it. That's why trying to catch a falling knife is often a losing strategy at least on a short/mid-term time frame.

That’s a massive head and shoulders.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:57 AM

37,714 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
A huge loss is on the way this morning....

Time to start drinking heavily if you have it, lol

I am putting it on my watchlist. Good products and it's suddenly on sale.
Had to google it to figure out what SAM was LOL. I don't drink beer, but am familiar with Sam Adams of course. So they are the ones responsible for all the Truly brand of products that have flooded the grocery stores here recently. I might have considered trying some of it if it had not been so very pricey.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:03 AM

106,973 posts, read 109,241,493 times
Yep , between the prices and the taste of that cheap cane alcohol they all use , it’s off our list

Old 07-23-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yep , between the prices and the taste of that cheap cane alcohol they all use , it’s off our list
The tea flavored ones are actually pretty good. Taste aside it’s the low calories and no carbs that is appealing to younger people. Seltzer has become the Diet Coke of booze. Over all sales are still very high of the stuff. It’s just over all sales for SAM have been usurped by other companies.

The high price and low cost to make it is what originally got me interested in it. However that trick is known and everybody has a line of it now. Seltzer is a long term winner but SAM lost what was a monopoly and first mover advantage and that won’t ever come back.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:19 AM

5,493 posts, read 6,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I've never tried the Truly, it's just not my type of drink. I do like their beer though, Boston Lager, Boston Ale, and Old Fezziwig is one of the best beer I've ever had, but it's only available in the winter holiday sampler 2 packs. I don't drink much, and when I do it's either Sam, Guinness, Bass Ale, or the occasional bourbon and ginger ale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing