Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 11:28 AM

116 posts, read 93,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
But from the sound of your other post you are not prepared and may have to to rely on others because things are that close to the bone .

Gbtc is a speculation not investing so I was kind of caught off guard here that while not having a solid healthy savings that you are speculating
Sorry I should have explained more, I’m just more pessimistic than average person

With rising rates are you still holding the long term treasuries in your permanent portfolio or substituting it for something else ?
Short term treasuries I think will be hit less IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 01:02 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeShmo View Post
Sorry I should have explained more, I’m just more pessimistic than average person

With rising rates are you still holding the long term treasuries in your permanent portfolio or substituting it for something else ?
Short term treasuries I think will be hit less IMHO
I am still holding long term bonds and in fact buying more rebalancing and reinvesting interest at lower prices since they are the lowest asset .

Overall down under 4% in that portfolio

Old 04-16-2022, 09:28 AM

3,049 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeShmo View Post
What kind of bond laddering would you recommend for the not aggressive but maintenance bucket ?
For safety you could consider different government securities.

For short term, T-bills, 2 year notes, maybe I-bonds.

For medium term maybe 10 year notes.

For long term 30 year bonds, GNMA,

Another ladder includes corporates with similar time lines. May be some money market funds yet in commercial paper but not as common.

If you want to consider risk you have "high yield" or "junk bond funds" to choose from.

If you want to go an easy way maybe do a US Bond Market index fund.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
For safety you could consider different government securities.

For short term, T-bills, 2 year notes, maybe I-bonds.

For medium term maybe 10 year notes.

For long term 30 year bonds, GNMA,

Another ladder includes corporates with similar time lines. May be some money market funds yet in commercial paper but not as common.

If you want to consider risk you have "high yield" or "junk bond funds" to choose from.

If you want to go an easy way maybe do a US Bond Market index fund.
Like FXNAX or BND ?

Old 04-17-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I am still holding long term bonds and in fact buying more rebalancing and reinvesting interest at lower prices since they are the lowest asset .

Overall down under 4% in that portfolio
If your horizon is more than 12 yrs is it ever advisable to hold cash ?
Other than emergency funds
And what’s the best place to hold it to use as “dry powder” incase there is market correction?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2022, 02:43 AM

Of course cash has a place .

Cash instruments can form a barbel with long term bonds cutting interest rate sensitivity way down .

Cash can act as an option to buy assets at cheaper prices but with expiration date.

Cash can temper volatility of a high equity portfolio..

Cash may be the only thing not losing in tight money or stagflation.

So yeah quite a few portfolios use cash instruments or very very short term bonds.

We use excess cash to take advantage of bank promos and short term treasury money markets and funds

Old 04-22-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Of course cash has a place .

Cash instruments can form a barbel with long term bonds cutting interest rate sensitivity way down .

Cash can act as an option to buy assets at cheaper prices but with expiration date.

Cash can temper volatility of a high equity portfolio..

Cash may be the only thing not losing in tight money or stagflation.

So yeah quite a few portfolios use cash instruments or very very short term bonds.

We use excess cash to take advantage of bank promos and short term treasury money markets and funds
Would you change anything in your pp bucket now that interest rates are rising?

I’m still holding some GLD like 7.5% do you recommend against it ?
I did turn the TIPS into equities though

Old 04-22-2022, 01:52 PM

No. ,I would change nothing .

We can slide backwards in the blink of an eye with something as simple as another bad covid out break not like the last cold-vid .

The idea is we have no idea what is next.

The money near and dear to you is not the best place to practice your hand at timing and predicting.

I am not a fan of tips and they will get hit as well with rising rates , only they lack the protection when inflation falls and we head towards recession.

Tips base rates are near zero

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-22-2022 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-23-2022, 05:44 AM

I took a look this morning at things ..I kind of stopped looking daily as it’s no fun .

The permanent portfolio down 5.28%

The insight income model down 6.11%

The 100% equity insight unique opportunities model which is a more recent holding for me , down 6.55% .

So I am running about half of what the S&P is down ,as it is down 11% .

Qqq is down 18% .

So not to bad …..if there is a much wider spread between the income model And the unique opportunity model I will move some more money in to the equity model .

But for now I am doing nothing

Old 04-24-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I took a look this morning at things ..I kind of stopped looking daily as it’s no fun .

The permanent portfolio down 5.28%

The insight income model down 6.11%

The 100% equity insight unique opportunities model which is a more recent holding for me , down 6.55% .

So I am running about half of what the S&P is down ,as it is down 11% .

Qqq is down 18% .

So not to bad …..if there is a much wider spread between the income model And the unique opportunity model I will move some more money in to the equity model .

But for now I am doing nothing
Thanks
Can you share what ETF you use for your insight income and unique opportunities funds ?

Are You thinking more into international equities as well ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing