Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 12:39 PM

1,078 posts, read 626,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedOldy View Post
Goldman cuts its year-end target for S&P from 4700 to 4300. Here we go. Now analysts are bending over backward to catch up with markets

https://www.afr.com/markets/equity-m...%20May%20swoon.
If the experts can't predict where the market will be and are given a pass to change the original prediction, what value does this add? IMHO, not much except as fodder for those that believe Goldman knows best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 12:59 PM

125 posts, read 67,245 times
The interesting part is that they predicate the 4300 with no recession otherwise their target is 3600. Not very far from my 3400 target because I believe that this inflation will not die without a recession. And I am confident as the year-end will approach you will start hearing more talks about the possibility of a financial crisis in the Non-Banking finance entities.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:32 AM

This is exactly how bear markets feel. Target earings today was a clear warning that recession is coming and it is coming very fast. They had topline growth and still had huge margin compression. This shows that consumer is shifting towards discounters and essentials. As bad as it was for Target. This is worst for the discretionary sector and consumer is 75% of usa economy.

It's not the recession but the speed with which is approaching will rattle the market further specifically the credit markets and MJ might get his wish of BBB derating sooner than we think.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:39 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Another saying is the only thing that repeats itself over again are historians .

Each time is just different enough that fighting the last war won’t work and what you prepared for likely will have the event have just enough of a different twist to make it not work
Always the wise one mathjak. I think unprecedented factors will lead the way good or bad. So much of the last 30 years or so has been near impossible to predict.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:39 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Will the elections make any difference?

Old 05-18-2022, 10:45 AM

This is not a political statement just a prediction. Walmart and Target's earnings make 95% certain that Democrats will lose the mid-term.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:53 AM

740 posts, read 472,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedOldy View Post
The interesting part is that they predicate the 4300 with no recession otherwise their target is 3600. Not very far from my 3400 target because I believe that this inflation will not die without a recession. And I am confident as the year-end will approach you will start hearing more talks about the possibility of a financial crisis in the Non-Banking finance entities.
I hear that 3600 is the 'fed put' line and the sooner that line is reached the better to protect the interests of the major market participants.... i.e. thus stalling or preventing major rate hikes.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
I hear that 3600 is the 'fed put' line and the sooner that line is reached the better to protect the interests of the major market participants.... i.e. thus stalling or preventing major rate hikes.
I hear you but I think that Fed will not be able to do anything. Why? As everybody keeps repeating that credit markets have behaved very well so far. Why because everyone has been drinking the Kool-Aid of a super-strong economy. There has been massive risk-taking facilitated by easy liquidity and financial engineering, which happened in the last two years in private equity markets. For example Musk's Twitter deal. This recession will have a domino effect on private credit. Fed won't be able to bail out becuse this deleveraging will not be the bank's balance sheets but in NBFC'

Old 05-18-2022, 11:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
And so it continues:

From twitter...
zerohedge
@zerohedge
·
56s
Crisis-Hit Sri Lanka Defaults On Debt As It Runs Out Of Fuel

Old 05-18-2022, 11:30 AM

Looks like the market has started sensing it now. LQDH ( invest grade credit spread hedged) ETF dropped to the lowest level in more than a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing