Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 10:05 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
True, but most of those 'diversified' funds are heavily tech-weighted, if you are referring to index funds. On paper they look diverse, but it's really only a handful of players that move it up or down.
Very true. Both are heavily weighted toward tech. To see a really healthy market, we need to see broader participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 10:34 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,209,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it isn’t even the bull run that counts the most ..it is the early big gains missed by those waiting for signs of a turn around….

by the time the timers realize it isn’t a suckers rally they missed the biggest days

I think statistically the gains early on are the biggest, but who's to say we are "early"? Given the average bull market is a few years in length and averages something in the area of 20%/year we could very well have much much higher to go if we look at history.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:37 AM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Stock prices rising only means the dollard is dropping in relative value. Has nothing to do with prosperity - as in the prodigious production of surplus usable goods and services equitably traded and enjoyed.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:41 AM

956 posts, read 509,992 times
World was never really ending, but the stock market gains were FED pump induced since covid. Now the FED is reducing balance sheet and has high interest rates, stocks are very expensive.

Before covid with greatest economy ever and even near 0 interest rates and low 1-2% inflation, the SP500 was like 3400 and Nasdaq was 9000. And that was only 3 years ago.

Nasdaq well above 13000 and SP500 4300 with FED tightening and reducing balance sheet.

Seems very awkward.

No one can time the market perfectly. but holding cash on sidelines wait for a crash then jump in and ride it out no matter what happens than add more over time is something I wanted to do so much yet the crash never has happened since 2008-2009. And no covid crash does not count it was so insanely sharp and fast more like 1987.

Looking for more a tech bubble burst 2000-2002 or 2008-2009 were there were bargains for months not for like 1 week or even less in March 2020

Then jump in and ride it out a heavy blue chip dividend fund and add more over time while also mixing in higher yield stuff.

For now I have a small amount invested going to leave it alone and just put a large sum in a CD with 4-5% interest rates.

Got to keep 401K contribs going and maybe dollar cost average in. But a large lump sum on sidelines is a very dangerous risk into this market that could very well be like tech bubble with expensive stocks and no FED ZIRP policy. Though maybe not. Would be much safer if FED had near ZIRP policy and inflation was low to justify very expensive stock prices as long as something si somewhat real on the other side unlike many of the dot com companies in 1999- early 2000??

Old 06-09-2023, 11:29 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
We did have a bear market though.

And we're still 10% off the record high in January 2022.

Old 06-09-2023, 11:36 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It does look like the markets are shrugging off any signs of recession. I'm up 5% this year in 5 months, which is fine. Could I have been up more, yep, but not getting greedy.
Yup. I don't even think of this as a bull market - to me, it's just recovery from Dec 2021. My total portfolio is still 5.6% below where it was on Dec 27th 2021 (that was my highest point). And I was making contributions up until my retirement 3 months later! It's been a long downturn for me, and it was certainly not in my retirement forecast planning. Definitely changed my plans for any splurges. But I'm hoping that eventually, maybe I can put some of those plans back in place. Who knows. It's really been a rollercoaster lately these last 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We did have a bear market though.

And we're still 10% off the record high in January 2022.
Yup. Do people just completely forget about that??

Old 06-09-2023, 11:48 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,209,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yup. I don't even think of this as a bull market - to me, it's just recovery from Dec 2021. My total portfolio is still 5.6% below where it was on Dec 27th 2021 (that was my highest point). And I was making contributions up until my retirement 3 months later! It's been a long downturn for me, and it was certainly not in my retirement forecast planning. Definitely changed my plans for any splurges. But I'm hoping that eventually, maybe I can put some of those plans back in place. Who knows. It's really been a rollercoaster lately these last 2-3 years.

Yup. Do people just completely forget about that??

Bear markets are normal and are part of the process. They are unavoidable unless one thinks they are a great market timer. The long term return of stocks is ~10% and that INCLUDES all the bear markets!
Do people just not realize THAT???

Old 06-09-2023, 12:11 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Amen to that. Peter Lynch sure had it right:

“Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves.”
Staying the course is a time-tested strategy that works more often than not, and for long-term investors, is a great tool to use.

Old 06-09-2023, 12:25 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Bear markets are normal and are part of the process. They are unavoidable unless one thinks they are a great market timer. The long term return of stocks is ~10% and that INCLUDES all the bear markets!
Do people just not realize THAT???

Um…maybe I didn’t make my point. The media and everyone is talking about a bull market… Yet we still have not recovered from the bear market. That’s what I was saying. For me, I’m still in a “down” position Obviously, I know bear markets exist. Nothing I said indicated otherwise. Got it?!

Old 06-09-2023, 12:32 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Stock prices rising only means the dollard is dropping in relative value. Has nothing to do with prosperity - as in the prodigious production of surplus usable goods and services equitably traded and enjoyed.
not even close to fact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing