Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to get a little insight into living and working in rural and small town Iowa.

First some background. Currently I live in a small town in Missouri near Kansas City. I've been in this area for several years and have noted that people are unpleasant to put it mildly. Outsiders seem to be viewed with suspicion especially if they are friendly and people start vicious rumors that can ruin someone's reputation. I have lived in rural towns in Maine and Minnesota and also western Kansas and did not really experience the same issues in those areas.

I may need to make a move out of Missouri soon because it appears as though my current job is in a tenuous state. If that happens and I cannot transfer with the company to another office then I will have to leave Missouri for greener pastures.

In past years I've had people recommend Iowa to me as a place to live and work and now it appears as though this idea is worth exploring. Any input on these subjects is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Decorah is a good small town. I prefer the driftless region of Iowa. Dubuque is a smaller city, but has many nice areas outside of town as well. It is heavier on the dairy side which gives it a bit more of a Wisconsin feel. Dubuque is a bit tougher for outsiders.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 AM

What is the Driftless Region if Iowa? I've never heard about it.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Driftless Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's the really beautiful hilly part of Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois where the glaciers never flattened everything. Comparable to the foothills of Appalachia or the Black Hills. Decorah is a town of about 8k right in the middle of the most dramatic part of the Driftless in Iowa.

(from flickr)
Very heavy Norwegian influence there, and it's a liberal, forward-thinking college town for the most part. Because of all the college students and families, they aren't really leery of outsiders.

Other places to consider... Storm Lake, Dubuque, Iowa City (larger metro), Mason City, Clear Lake, maybe Charles City.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Driftless Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's the really beautiful hilly part of Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois where the glaciers never flattened everything. Comparable to the foothills of Appalachia or the Black Hills. Decorah is a town of about 8k right in the middle of the most dramatic part of the Driftless in Iowa.

(from flickr)
Very heavy Norwegian influence there, and it's a liberal, forward-thinking college town for the most part. Because of all the college students and families, they aren't really leery of outsiders.

Other places to consider... Storm Lake, Dubuque, Iowa City (larger metro), Mason City, Clear Lake, maybe Charles City.
Great scenery! My mother's family is Swedish and we have a couple of Norwegians and Danes that married into the family.

Scandinavian culture still embraces independent thinking and activities. Thus all of the great skiers seem to come from those countries and a similar heritage in this country. :-) Sounds like being a non conformist in Iowa will be less of a problem than in Missouri.

How about the Ames area? I like the hiking trails in nearby Boone.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Ames is home to Iowa State University- so it is a large college town. It is right up the road from Des Moines if you want all the bigger city amenities.

NE Iowa in the Driftless Region is very rural by comparison. If you are used to a more rural lifestyle than I would definitely recommend it. Also, cities like Madison, Rochester, and LaCrosse are a fairly short drive away.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
^Don't forget the Twin Cities! It's about as close to Minneapolis-St. Paul as it is to Madison.

I honestly don't like Ames much. It always strikes me as sort of dreary. But like GraniteStater said, it's close to Des Moines, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it. I don't know if I would call it a "small town," though.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 AM

I've only passed through Ames a couple of times over to Ledges State Park in Boone. People were definitely much friendlier than in Missouri.

Dubuque seems like a very unique little city in your region. I just did some research on the place and I like what I found. It seems as though it is a city of higher intellect in that real culture and not bars is the primary way that people like to spend their spare time. I like the terrain and it is likely I can find some good hiking trails in the area.

I'll start looking into some of the other cities that you've both mentioned.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Le Claire on the Mississippi river has turned into a real charming little town. In the 80's it seemed pretty beat up and trashy. Now it's had a full face lift and seems like a place to be.

It's close to the Quad Cities, about 15 miles or so, close enough that it doesn't have that isolated feel and small town mentality, but far enough away that it's still it's own town and not a suburb.

If you've ever seen the tv show 'American Pickers', Le Claire is where they have their home base/retail shop.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:38 PM

79 posts, read 193,981 times
Have you checked out the Mt Vernon / Lisbon areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa