Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 AM

23 posts, read 50,220 times

Advertisements

Then there are western illinois and southwest Wisconsin, which has attractive little towns and timbered, craggy countryside. If I were moving to the Midwest and didn't need to live in a city, I'd seek a place large enough to have reasonable medical facilities, say a county seat of 5 to 10 thousand people. That gives you 90 some choices in Iowa.

Just about all of the small towns have been infected to a degree by the social ills besetting cities, so you may not be as likely to leave your doors unlocked as in years past. Small-town air may be cleaner, life slower-paced, and the people pretty friendly, or at least not overtly hostile, but newcomers may feel as if they're on probation for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,928 times
Small-town air may be cleaner, life slower-paced, and the people pretty friendly, or at least not overtly hostile, but newcomers may feel as if they're on probation for a long time.[/quote]

VERY true, but after 70-80 years you'll be fairly well accepted.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:24 AM

337 posts, read 1,528,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
VERY true, but after 70-80 years you'll be fairly well accepted.
Then at least you know you worked hard for something in your life.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 AM

9 posts, read 60,661 times
There are plenty of small, lazy, towns and villiages in Iowa.
Depends on how close you want to be to large metro areas or regional mid size cities. I think one would want to consider thier health, culture activites, before moving to a small town. If you are very healthy the need of having a medical clinic or hospital is not much of a issue. Some of the small towns are many miles away from hospitals with ER or OB rooms.

I find towns and villiages in the western part of the state interesting. There are towns of less than a 200 people but within 30 to 60 miles of regional shopping and medical cities. I grew up in an area where groceries was 20 miles away, unless you did the C-Stores.

I think most people no matter where, will be locking their doors when they leave the homestead. Transporation is to easily available for both the good guys and the criminals. The crime that does exist generally never makes the airwaves, since the media is not heavily present.

I have found every town has it's own personality. Some big in sponsorhip of community things, events, etc. Others that tend to wait for hand out from the County, State and or Feds. Some hardly know their next door neighbors, and others can tell you exactly what time you opened your garage door(s).

My picks in the Western Iowa area
Lake View; under 2000 people on a natural lake.
Lake City; under 2000 heavy into the medical, tends to be kinda artsy
Yetter; under 300 very rural, with a large elevator, meat locker,
Carroll; under 10000 regional shopping & medical, some big boxes, public and Catholic schools.
Pisgah: very small, in the Loess Hills, near I-29 Council Bluffs/Omaha, and Missouri Valley

There are area colleges and major universities close to these cities.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 AM

18 posts, read 75,931 times
Smile what about grinell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
im looking for a small lazy town in Iowa were everyone knows everyone,and everybody is nice to everyone. i was born and raised in a small rural town in florida, but then me and my family moved to a big city in maryland. and iv always been longing to move out to a rural town or area. i work now in consturction but i can also work on a farm. i need some names of towns were i can find all of this, thanks.

what about grinell

Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,712 times
Charles City....pretty, close to Mason City, Waterloo. check it out

Old 10-27-2008, 05:53 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Small-town air may be cleaner, life slower-paced, and the people pretty friendly, or at least not overtly hostile, but newcomers may feel as if they're on probation for a long time.

VERY true, but after 70-80 years you'll be fairly well accepted.[/quote]

Yes, very true.I've lived in NE Iowa almost my whole life since age 2, but I don't have an area last name- not from here (albeit my origins are midwest). So I always get asked where I'm from since no area last name or relatives (ironically, my relatives DID live in NE Iowa way back in 1860s- early 1900s- and were prominent in some ways, but they died out, or moved on) and sure I wasn't born here, nor have immediate ancestry, but its been 20 yrs, and I think I'm from here.I am sure if I stayed here (not planning on it- because it is not practical jobwise eventually) maybe my descendents would get accepted eventually.eventually..

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
I have family in areas around Mason City, Rockwell is just a quick drive south of Mason City, lots of little towns in the area. Britt is another one. Fort Dodge too.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 41,718 times
Some smaller Iowa towns I wouldn't mind living in...

Carroll
Jefferson
Garner
Fairfield
Albia
Winterset

It's weird....not that I did it on purpose, but all the towns listed used to or currently still have a Pamida Discount Center! Funny!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 41,718 times
Wait...Garner didn't...sorry! But they have an Alco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa