Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 03:49 PM

215 posts, read 283,278 times

Advertisements

Why conservatives are more susceptible to believing in lies.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM

459 posts, read 474,952 times
Never heard of anybody say I plan on retiring in Iowa. Not being disrespectful to Iowa, but simply never heard anybody say it. Iowa is a decent state.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Never heard of anybody say I plan on retiring in Iowa. Not being disrespectful to Iowa, but simply never heard anybody say it. Iowa is a decent state.
Speaking for myself, it's a question of whether I can handle ice and heavy snow in my 80s. I don't think I'll be able to afford much in the way catered living, so I'll probably have to move to a trailer at some point that doesn't have snow to shovel or grass to mow.

That's my only problem. Medical care is excellent, and there are a ton of activities for me to do in any season. If I had a little more money and could afford to hire more services, I wouldn't think of moving.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Neither Bella nor I would know or care where to begin.
I know.

Quote:
It wouldn't be my first choice either, but it certainly wouldn't be my last. I'm from Wisconsin, so the weather doesn't bother me at all, and some parts of Iowa are quite lovely. The people are generally very nice, and it has a comfortable personality to it. I'd prefer either a West Coast ocean state or Nothern Minnesota or Wisconsin, but if I couldn't have those, I'd probably rank Iowa above at least 40 other states. I've always thought it was quite underrated.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:28 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
As a Minnesota woman married to an Iowa guy for fifty years I think I have a pretty good feeling for what Iowa is all about and here's my take:

There's nothing like a taste to help you figure out whose dish you want to eat from. They dipped their toes into the trendy waters of Liberalism, saw what floated in the flotsam and jetsam, and stepped back onto solid ground. For that I'm surprised they've got one up on us Minnesotans. Never did think they were all that bright before.

"Oh, there's nothing halfway about
The Iowa way to treat you
When we treat you
Which we may not do at all. . ."

Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
The article uses Texas as some kind of benchmark for conservatism where it mentions that Trump had a larger margin of victory in Iowa than the Lone Star State. What it fails to mention is that a total of 19 states fell into that category. He only won by single digits here. In contrast, Texas is becoming less red because more educated people are moving here for employment from around the world, including...Iowa.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times
Quote:
45 years ago I lived in Omaha - spent 4 1/2 years there and some in Iowa now and then. Drove through Iowa many times, both East-West and North-South. Back then and up to as recently as 5 years ago, I never considered retiring in Iowa, either....or anywhere in the Midwest, for that matter.

But so much has profoundly changed. Those of you who remember life in 1972 know what I'm talking about. When you add the skyrocketing cost of housing throughout the West in recent years, places that weren't then and are still not considered exciting to most - especially to the hip and trendy crowd - start looking really, really good compared to the West. Economically and culturally.

Granted, I haven't visited Iowa for many years. In fact, last time I did was probably in '88 or '89. But I also know that Iowa isn't the kind of place that changes at nearly the pace of a California, Oregon, or Idaho. The latter two being the prime and preferred choice of California refugees by the tens of thousands in recent years. Housing costs/availability in Coeur D Alene and Boise are not even recognizable against what they were just a few years ago.

Iowa remains sane and remains affordable....precisely because the thought of relocating there occurs to so relatively few. More and more, that is my kind of place. I'm looking forward to visiting in the spring.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:23 AM

638 posts, read 974,150 times
Study: Flagging Stories as 'Fake News' Ineffective; People No Longer Trust Media - Breitbart

Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times
I got a good chuckle from that post, considering that the entire agenda of today's left is based on lies.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I got a good chuckle from that post, considering that the entire agenda of today's left is based on lies.
Ooooh, you ALMOST had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa