Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:35 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The underlying sentiment here seems to be that Farmers are a bunch of ignorant savages. I hope some of you don't have you mouths full of food when you're badmouthing the folks that produce a lot of that....
Thank you!

It takes more than just a strong back to run a profitable farm in Iowa these days, not to mention some of the comments on this thread are plain just off the wall. It's obvious that some of you are extremely clueless.

Again, come out and visit!

When I was a young gal, I'd pack up my hatchback and drive around visiting places, eating in the cafes and trying to understand local problems. That sort of travel taught me a lot about America, certainly a lot more than hanging out online, trolling threads like this one.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Thank you!

It takes more than just a strong back to run a profitable farm in Iowa these days, not to mention some of the comments on this thread are plain just off the wall. It's obvious that some of you are extremely clueless.

When I was a young gal, I'd pack up my hatchback and drive around visiting places, eating in the cafes and trying to understand local problems. That sort of travel taught me a lot about America, certainly a lot more than hanging out online, trolling threads like this one.
Yes, there are things that many Americans don't understand, care to learn about, or comprehend about differing rural areas in the US. I am intensely familiar with many rural areas of the US, given that my relatives own and operate a ranching and farming operation in Kansas near the Nebraska border. I have some relatives who live in Iowa, a rural area near Des Moines. My parents live in a rural area in the interior Northeast. Other relatives live in the rural Northwoods of the Upper Midwest. There are many issues facing rural areas these days, and it would be difficult even for me to live there long-term due to primarily employment reasons. I could give you a long discussion regarding other factors facing rural places, but that would be going off-topic.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you. Iowa's looking better and better to me for retirement.

Truly educated people have had quite enough of the dems devotion to the crazies and the bottom feeders.
I wonder if all you who disdain education - I mostly find that mindset among people who themselves aren't particucarly educated - will be just as cheerful when all the people you interact with in business, such as at banks and utility companies, seem to be unreliable and floundering.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:07 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I wonder if all you who disdain education - I mostly find that mindset among people who themselves aren't particucarly educated - will be just as cheerful when all the people you interact with in business, such as at banks and utility companies, seem to be unreliable and floundering.
Oh, the irony....

I don't disdain education at all....and I'd like nothing more than to see quality education return to all of our public schools. I am very fortunate to have received an excellent education in a bygone era when that was prevalent and teachers, parents, and students were held accountable for it. Today's young people are being sadly shortchanged....especially in the large urban areas that you deem to be so much more enlightened, based on their voting patterns.

We have no disagreement whatsoever about the importance of education. Where we diverge sharply is in the way education is defined, administered, and measured. The people in suburban and rural areas who have rejected the failed policies of left-leaning school administrators - and politicians generally - are a lot smarter than you think. That is my point.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:28 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Thank you!

The vast majority of Family farms have at least one person with a degree running the place. Many if not all the older Gen farmers have at least some degree of Formal College Education. Agra Business, Accounting, Chemistry, Animal Husbandry and Environmental Science are just a few of the degrees Farmers I know or am related to hold....

Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
First thing my FIL from the Netherlands did when he left the Homeland to come to Iowa, once he got on his feet, was take agriculture classes. He died a very successful farmer.

No education past eighth grade but, being close to the land, he had a wise understanding of nature and what works and what doesn't.

DH and I come from that rural culture and have five degrees between us but when I think of people who are raised in an urban setting subscribing to progressive ideas I have to wonder if they've forgotten their sociology/biology 101. It's that distance from the natural world, I think, that convinces some folks that all this forced cultural conditioning will work.

And such rigid stereotypes! Nearly everything that comes out of Hollywood these days is guaranteed to portray country people as ignorant and crude. (Saw a movie last week where they referred to a corn picker as a mower!) Who writes this stuff? Have they ever been to a farm? How can they be qualified to write about farm life?

I'm sure urban folks wouldn't care to be stereotyped by the lowest common denominator.

Our book learnin' was great for our working lives but what we both learned about human and animal nature growing up in a rural setting is what has helped us make wise choices.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A college degree is an upper middle class privilege, in no way does it define a person nor decide if you are "uneducated" ..... Also, Trump is not necessarily a "Republican" ... Trump is an outsider and many were attracted to voting in someone different instead of , you know someone like Hillary.
A college degree is an upper middle class privilege?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This type attitude is why Hillary lost. Maybe they are just not as brainwashed as the college types.
College "types" are brainwashed?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
She didn’t lose actually. Trump lost by 3 mil. Trump just won in the intellectually declining states like Iowa and intellectually bankrupt states like Alabama and West Virginia which have a disproprotiate share of voting power relative to their populations, so he wins the "electoral college".
1960 World Series

Game 1: Pirates 6, Yankees 4
Game 2: Yankees 16, Pirates 3
Game 3: Yankees 10, Pirates 0
Game 4: Pirates 3, Yankees 2
Game 5: Pirates 5, Yankees 2
Game 6: Yankees 12, Pirates 0
Game 7: Pirates 10, Yankees 9

Which team scored more runs in the series? Which team won the series?

Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
1960 World Series

Game 1: Pirates 6, Yankees 4
Game 2: Yankees 16, Pirates 3
Game 3: Yankees 10, Pirates 0
Game 4: Pirates 3, Yankees 2
Game 5: Pirates 5, Yankees 2
Game 6: Yankees 12, Pirates 0
Game 7: Pirates 10, Yankees 9

Which team scored more runs in the series? Which team won the series?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa