Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times

Advertisements

My husband's family is from Mason City (Clear Lake, IA) and they want us to move there. We live in LA right now and hate it. I visited in April and really liked it. I'm just worried about the winters. I've lived in LA my whole life and have only seen the snow a few times! Is anyone from that part of Iowa? What do you think of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 PM

337 posts, read 1,529,199 times
I'm from Waterloo southeast of Mason City. Mason City is FLAT, WINDY, and COLD! Other than that I think it will be beautiful the rest of the year.

(honestly I love winters like that)

Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,936 times
Yeah thats Mason City- Clear Lake is pretty though. It is a beautiful place, but a bit provincial compared to what you are used to maybe. Well, it would be alot different, even if you want something different. It is rural and cold.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 AM

337 posts, read 1,529,199 times
Is "LA" Louisiana or Los Angeles? Eitherway - if you hate where you are, and enjoyed Mason City ... I would go for it. I would actually love to live in that size of town again, I like rural Iowa A LOT. Just make sure you don't come off with the I'm better than you attitude when you move here (especially if "LA" stands for Los Angeles) ... be prepared to meet modest people who take awhile to warm up - and you'll be fine.

As I said, I love the winter's up here - we all go through it together, it all works.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 AM

586 posts, read 2,186,002 times
I'm convinced Clear Lake is one of the most beautiful towns in all of Iowa. You'll love to watch the seasons change in a place like that. Mason City never blew my socks off, but its got a decent amount of places to shop for a small city in rural Iowa. It appears to be in better condition than all of the other comparable Iowa cities in the 20,000-40,000 range.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,863 times
I grew up just 8 miles outside of Mason City. It is a nice small city with plenty of restaurants, shopping, and unique attractions. Somebody described the people as modest and that's probably very accurate. You'll also find an overwhelming "aura" of fiscal conservativeness in the area - sometimes to the detriment of the community.

The local economy has really struggled for the last couple of decades. It's traditionally been a light manufacturing, agriculture, and regional services centered economy. None of the segments of it's economy have been particularily strong and most have been in decline. I don't know what line of work you will be looking for, but finding work may be a concern.

I personally prefer Clear Lake to Mason City. Clear Lake is really your storybook quaint small town with a beautiful recreational lake.

If I was able to find a job in my field in Mason City/Clear Lake - I'd move back in a second...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:46 AM

195 posts, read 1,078,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
I'm convinced Clear Lake is one of the most beautiful towns in all of Iowa. You'll love to watch the seasons change in a place like that. Mason City never blew my socks off, but its got a decent amount of places to shop for a small city in rural Iowa. It appears to be in better condition than all of the other comparable Iowa cities in the 20,000-40,000 range.
That is accurate. I'd live in Clear Lake, not Mason City.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
CJN

5 posts, read 16,593 times
Depending on where your going to live in Mason City there is a lot of people that are "druggies". I lived in mason for almost 2 years in a pretty hostile neighborhood (constant calls for police, stabbings across the street) and I hated it. There are some very nice parts of Mason City as well but I doubt you will find a place to live in these nice areas for less than 275,000. Mason has a small community college and I have never met someone from Mason City high that didnt smoke weed. So, yeah, I would go with Clear Lake.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 11,671 times
As a north Iowa native & resident for 50 yrs., I lived in Clear Lake for several years & currently live in Mason City. While C.L. is a nice town overall, I did not care for it- the cost of living (esp. housing) is considerably higher than the surrounding area, and I found some of the local ordinances to be rather rediculous. For example, in the winter, there is no alternate-side parking for snow removal- it is NO SIDE parking- you cannot park in the street, period! When I asked what we do with an extra car, they suggested I find a parking lot somewhere!?! Garbage must be placed in specially purchased, see-through bags so they can make sure you are not throwing away recyclables. I felt like I lived in elementary school!!! Mason City has none of that rediculousness- Alternate side parking, use any trash recepticle you choose, free lawn waste removal- as a home owner it is a much more pleasant place to live- plus the shopping is exceptional for this size town.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 11,671 times
To answer CantWait2Leave's question, however, I will honestly tell you that many of the winters here SUCK! We do have some mild, enjoyable winters, but there are also blizzards, ice storms, power outages, freeze your face off weather. People who enjoy winter activities like snowmobiling, ice fishing, etc. definately have an advantage over those of us who prefer summer. I had a Mustang for a few years and was literally STRANDED at home- I couldn't even get out of the driveway! Now I have a much more practicle 4 wheel drive SUV, thought it's not nearly as much fun, at least I can get where I have to go. The people here, however, are some of the best anywhere-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa