Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 04:53 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times

Advertisements

As you may have noticed, I post links and include a small part of what is written in the articles. I try not to impose my personal views or tendencies to lean toward an opinion that might make it political and not appropriate for this forum. I also dont understand all the arguments for or against certain “solutions” proposed by our political parties and frankly I’m sick and tired of the back and forth instead of honestly working together in Iowa and the rest of the nation. Education, combatting poverty and drop out rates, improve racial relations, affordable housing, and in my opinion some reasonable gun control measures.

My purpose was to show how prevalent gun violence is in my Iowa community, the Heartland of America. Gun violence is an epidemic and yet it has become a way of life that we’ve become desensitized to in America, both urban and rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 06:29 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default cedar Rapids shooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
As you may have noticed, I post links and include a small part of what is written in the articles. I try not to impose my personal views or tendencies to lean toward an opinion that might make it political and not appropriate for this forum. I also dont understand all the arguments for or against certain “solutions” proposed by our political parties and frankly I’m sick and tired of the back and forth instead of honestly working together in Iowa and the rest of the nation. Education, combatting poverty and drop out rates, improve racial relations, affordable housing, and in my opinion some reasonable gun control measures.

My purpose was to show how prevalent gun violence is in my Iowa community, the Heartland of America. Gun violence is an epidemic and yet it has become a way of life that we’ve become desensitized to in America, both urban and rural.

Yup.
I repped you on all of this.
Thx

Old 05-24-2022, 02:26 PM

Default Road rage shooting, 2 injured

Cedar Rapids. Police said they received reports of vehicle-to-vehicle gunfire in the 800 block of 15th Street SE on Monday night.

In a press release, police said the driver of the vehicle and a passenger were heading south on 15th Street SE when they were shot at.

The victims reportedly told officers a white SUV, with an unknown number of occupants, opened fire at them while passing by. Police say the driver of the vehicle fired upon reported the shooting was driven by a potential road-rage incident.

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/24/ceda...gate-shooting/

Other shootings in eastern Iowa over the past weeks but related to domestic disputes in homes.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:20 PM

Default Teen arrested threatening to shoot another teen w/gun

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa (KCCI) - On Monday evening, Marshalltown police were dispatched to Arnold’s Park for a report of a group of juveniles threatening each other. It was reported one of them had a gun.

An officer arrived on scene within two minutes of receiving the call. It was determined that a 14-year-old threatened to shoot another juvenile while pointing a gun at them. Police also say that the boy then fired the gun in the air.

No one was injured during this incident.

The gun was retrieved and the boy was taken into custody. He has been placed in juvenile detention.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:04 PM

Shooting in downtown Dubuque over the weekend with 3 injured and another shooting Sunday night in Waterloo, 1 injured: all victims with non-life threatening inuries.

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/30/man-...ting-waterloo/

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/30/thre...oting-dubuque/

A shooting early this morning in Ames, home to Iowa State University. No info on the condition of the gunshot victim who is in the hospital.

https://who13.com/news/ames-police-i...ning-shooting/

Old 05-31-2022, 05:45 AM

Shooting last night, Monday, in Waterloo. Gunshot victim in critical condition.

https://www.kcrg.com/2022/05/31/man-...rloo-shooting/

Old 05-31-2022, 11:24 AM

64 posts, read 28,228 times
What's going on in Iowa?

Are the racial demographics changing?

Old 05-31-2022, 08:19 PM

Another shooting this Tuesday evening near downtown Cedar Rapids in a low-income neighborhood.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - At 5:01 pm on Tuesday, Cedar Rapids Police responded to a report of shots fired in the 1500 block of 4th Avenue SE.

Witnesses reported two young male suspects had fired several rounds at a passing car and then fled on foot.

No injuries were reported. Officers on scene found shell casings and a bullet entry point on a car in the 1400 block of 4th Aveneue.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:45 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default Cedar Rapids shooting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Hippo View Post
What's going on in Iowa?

Are the racial demographics changing?
I'm not surprised to see a question like your first one of, "What's going on in Iowa?" asked here.

As for your 2nd question, the demographics are changing but slowly overall with some small cities or sections within the metro areas experiencing a faster pace of demographic change.
Iowa is still one of the least diverse states in terms of demographics. There's just no other way to factually put it.

Getting back to the "What's going on in Iowa?" aspect of things, I can't find a link for it now but I recently read a statistical analysis that noted that as recently as in 2019, Iowa ranked 43rd in overall crime or in gun violence. I just can't recall the exact details without a link but nevertheless, the fact that 3 years ago Iowa ranked 43rd in that specific type of serious crime, says volumes.
Yes, things can & have changed considerably over the course of the 3 years since then but keep in mind that crime has generally been on the rise nationwide since 2020. As such, any rise in Iowa's level of violence is basically mirrored, matched or even surpassed in many of the other 49 states.

Iowa is not an island nor an outlier in terms of the rise in crime.

I've posted on this thread before and suggested then that the op make a change in the data they were bringing forward here. And they have done so by branching out beyond where before they only reported on crime in Cedar Rapids.
But, the down side of any thread like this which reports and posts on nearly every incident of gun violence or something akin to "gunshots heard in the night", for example, is that via the posting of every incident here, the thread title on shootings in Iowa keeps on turning up in the forum state-by-state index.

Compounding that fact, the Iowa Forum area is one of the least active overall from among the 50 states and especially so considering Iowa's population size of nearly 3 and a quarter million. I cannot think of another state with over 3 million people that is as slow in activity on the Forum in terms of posting activity than Iowa. By virtue of that, any thread title for Iowa that shows in the index area often sits there for days at a time.

More specifically, I have repeatedly seen occasions of where nothing new is posted here for over a week at a time. Thusly, a thread topic will sit and sit and sit in the index and leave impressions to the causal observer.
As such, any person who regularly comes to the Forum and scans the index will constantly see "Iowa" and "shootings" here as a topic. That is the downside of a thread of this nature.

I did not say exactly that to the op when I posted here a few weeks ago but in doing my own regular scanning of the Forum index area, the only other state that I see that is consistently so connected to violence via a thread title is Illinois with Chicago being at the root of that.
In consideration of that fact, the index is in my opinion making gun violence in Iowa appear to the casual observer on the Forum to be far worse than what the situation warrants. The fact that Illinois and Iowa are by my observation to be the 2 states most likely to show up connected to violence in that index should give us pause as should also any incident of gun violence.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:24 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I did not say exactly that to the op when I posted here a few weeks ago but in doing my own regular scanning of the Forum index area, the only other state that I see that is consistently so connected to violence via a thread title is Illinois with Chicago being at the root of that.
In consideration of that fact, the index is in my opinion making gun violence in Iowa appear to the casual observer on the Forum to be far worse than what the situation warrants. The fact that Illinois and Iowa are by my observation to be the 2 states most likely to show up connected to violence in that index should give us pause as should also any incident of gun violence.
Chicago is frequently brought up because of the political angles.

Iowa is brought up more because it's not expected there and apparently it concerns the residents a lot probably because especially in eastern Iowa you have concerns about "Chicagofication"

I have family and grew up near the Iowa\IL border and I hear frequently about the type of BS that goes on around the quad cities now that you didn't hear about nearly so much in the past.

Anyone intelligent and serious about the topic is going to look at the actual crime data and see that Iowa is still very safe.

Chicago on the other hand has had 13 of the 270 mass shootings in the US so far this year, but *most* of those are limited to bad areas and predominantly gang members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa