Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times

Advertisements

How did you guys feel about the raid on illegals in Iowa at the grain plant? I just saw it on the news. Lot's of tears out there. Wondering how Iowa felt about it. They have been cracking down in AZ for a long time. Just curious really. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
I'm was a packing house, not a "grain plant".

It is hard not too feel bad seeing any fellow human being being hauled away the way these people were, but at the end of the day the rule of law must prevail. We simply can not afford the financial stress illigal immigrants cause to the sociel safety net as well as the depressed wages that occur because they are willing to work much cheaper rates than American citizens.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 PM

114 posts, read 486,314 times
what financial stress do the immigrants cause. They do the jobs that we won't . and because they do they put money into the economy. I mean come one. last I checked we were the country that ask for 'your tired, humble, yearning to be free.' it's people like you that make it hard to become a citizens in this country. oh yeah and how many od them actually were prosecuted. not near as many that were hauled off. most of them had green cards , visas or were studying to become a citizen.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanerbean View Post
what financial stress do the immigrants cause. They do the jobs that we won't ..

They aren't doing the jobs we won't do, they're taking the wages we won't take. The Lubavitchers who owned that plant were paying a lot of the employees $5 and $6 an hour, less than mininum wage. These jobs in the packing industry used to pay a good wage ($13 or so per hour in the 80's) and all kinds of American citizens worked there. No American in their right mind should want to work in a packing plant for $5 or $6 an hour or even the $8-$10 an hour they pay to the "over the counter" workers. How much stimulatin' to the economy do you think someone making $6 an hour really does?

To answer your question, Twiggy, I think that the local media outlets (namely the Des Moines Register) are really going out of their way to slant this story to sympathize with the illegals. The raid was over a week ago and they still have all kinds of sob stories in the paper. I think it's a little inaccurate that they portray everyone here being all weepy while we say "adios" to our illegal amigos. Lots of people were glad to see this raid happen, lots of people thought it was unnessecary, lots of people thought it was what needed to be done, lots of people didn't care. At any rate, it would be hilarious if they started hiring illegal journalists for $6 an hour to see if the folks at the Des Moines Register are still behind illegal immigration.

Before we go any further on the subject of illegal immigration, I would like to remind everyone that there is a sub-forum here on City-Data about immigration and there is at least one thread about the Postville situation. I suppose we can talk about illegal immigration's local impact, but this subject is probably best discussed in that thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...llegals-5.html

Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
They aren't doing the jobs we won't do, they're taking the wages we won't take.

Before we go any further on the subject of illegal immigration, I would like to remind everyone that there is a sub-forum here on City-Data about immigration and there is at least one thread about the Postville situation. I suppose we can talk about illegal immigration's local impact, but this subject is probably best discussed in that thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...llegals-5.html
First of all "taking the wages we won't take", that is so correct in my opinion. I've never heard that reply, but it is exactly right in my opinion. When you think about it that way, it really hits home.

And no, I didn't know about the thread on immigration. I'll head over there and check it out. I have just been curious to see what the rest of the country thinks about these situations. AZ is very stern on the removal of illegals. Thanks for the heads up!
I appreciate everyones comments. Thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
It's not people like that poster that make it hard to come to this country. It's people like you with your messed up perspective that we HAVE to let everyone here. Sometimes the good of a nation need to come before the good of a people.

If they want to come here, there is a process they must complete. Thats the way it is, and the way it must be.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
what financial stress do the immigrants cause. They do the jobs that we won't . and because they do they put money into the economy. I mean come one. last I checked we were the country that ask for 'your tired, humble, yearning to be free.' it's people like you that make it hard to become a citizens in this country. oh yeah and how many od them actually were prosecuted. not near as many that were hauled off. most of them had green cards , visas or were studying to become a citizen.
The fact that your reply mistates one of my points and misinterpretes the other, says a lot of the depth (or lack thereof) knowledge you have on this issue. Take some time to do a little self education. This isssue must be dealt with by the brain first, your heart second. Not the other way around.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,345 times
Quote:
they take jobs away and allow companies to pay employees less than minimum wage, not only that but illegals don't pay taxes. I have no problem with legal immigration but if you come here illegally I have no sympathy when the INS tosses you into a truck and sends you home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa